Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

ATF filler cap came off. Has this happened to anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATF filler cap came off. Has this happened to anyone else?

My wife noticed her 2015 Civic (CVT) had a strange smell after driving. I checked under the hood an noticed that the rubber filler cap had come out of the filler hole and ATF had been coming out the top of the transmission. Somehow the cap was sitting on top of the case still so I did an ATF change and put the cap back in.
I decided to do another change after a couple of weeks in case there was any contamination from it being open for however long it was like that. Since I was getting more ATF I also ordered a replacement cap just in case it popped off again and wasn't still there (Part #: 25615-5T0-004 Honda CAP, FILLER (ATF) (A)(CVT) ). I received my order today and checked the engine to see how it looked. Guess what? The cap was off again, just sitting there by the side of the filler hole!
I replaced it with the new one, which felt like a tighter fit when putting it back in.
Is this a known issue? Who thought that using a small rubber plug was a good idea for this purpose anyway?
Any ideas on what to do to stop this happening again? The replacement plug was .75 of a mm larger in diameter according to my calipers. That makes a difference, but with the cold temperatures where we are in Ohio, relying on that small tolerance seems strange.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: ATF filler cap came off. Has this happened to anyone else?

Sounds like a TSB
Old 02-15-2018, 09:22 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CVT's are junk. I just can't believe that Honda switched over to those junk *** transmissions after it became clear Nissan deliberately makes their CVT's so they fail after 45k or so. I'll wait until most of the cvt's have made it atleast 150k or so with no widespread problems before I even think of buying a Honda cvt car.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94 accord typeR
Sounds like a TSB
TSB? Is that something I would report, or something Honda issues and I can search for?

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
CVT's are junk. I just can't believe that Honda switched over to those junk *** transmissions after it became clear Nissan deliberately makes their CVT's so they fail after 45k or so. I'll wait until most of the cvt's have made it atleast 150k or so with no widespread problems before I even think of buying a Honda cvt car.
I'm not a fan of CVTs either, but that's what you get with an automatic car these days. This particular car has 75k on it with no issues (other than the cap falling off, obviously).

I checked last night and the replacement cap was still in place after the day's commute. So far so good, but I'd still like to know if anyone else has experienced this.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:25 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Honda automatic trannys will go 200k with standard drain and fills every 35k or so. Supposedly the issue with Nissan CVT's is supposed to be the lack of sufficient cooling inside. Hopefully Honda figured it out.

I saw a tear apart of a failed Nissan CVT on youtube where the metal band/belt disintegrated into pieces. Scary stuff.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:47 AM
W95 gives me a hard-on

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the latest honda's manual transmission are not that great either. My 06 civic had 3 gear issues. My current 14 accord has issues with the input shaft bearing and its notchy as hell.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:54 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by burauzaa
Is this a known issue?
I took my 2015 Fit CVT in to a dealer midway through a road trip because of a shudder at low acceleration, within 10 miles of first noticing it. The ATF filler cap had apparently been missing for some time, as there was dirty fluid caked all around the opening... and the transmission was coming apart internally. This missing cap seems to have led to a full transmission failure at 84,000 miles in my case.