Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Window Weather Stripping Gap: Common Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Weather Stripping Gap: Common Problem?

I have a 92 Si and I just removed my window glass and regulator in the left door to install power windows. I put the power window regulator and glass in the door and for some reason the weather stripping along the bottom of the window fram (exterior) would not seal with the glass. The window also would "stick" in certain places as it went up. I thought that possibly the glass was not seated in the tracks properly. I removed everying, glass and regulator. I then put the glass in by itself and made sure it was in the tracks properly. I then pushed the window up and down, it went smoothly so I know it was seated propely. I pushed it all the way to the top and everything except for that bottom stripping. There is about a 1/12" gap. I am totally stumped and have no idea what to do.

The only thing I can think of that may of happened is when initially removing the glass I could have bent the stripping?

On my passenger window (which I haven't mucked with) the glass seals fine when the window is fully up, and it doesn't seal if its down a little bit or down at all for that matter, I assume that is fine.

If you have had this problem or know what I should do your assistance is much appreciated, please help. TIA.

-Jake
Old 03-01-2003, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Window Weather Stripping Gap: Common Problem? (Chiller514)

Bump, please help me I'm really stumped.
Old 03-01-2003, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Window Weather Stripping Gap: Common Problem? (Chiller514)

i'd like to know as well. i'm in a similar situation.
Old 03-01-2003, 09:53 PM

Default Re: Window Weather Stripping Gap: Common Problem? (eghonda)

bump for good question imo
Old 03-02-2003, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Window Weather Stripping Gap: Common Problem? (ridiculous)

ttt
Old 03-02-2003, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Window Weather Stripping Gap: Common Problem? (eghonda)

On my 1993 LX Sedan, when I run the window all the way to the top, the glass tilts slightly forward, leaving a small gap at the rear edge. It wouldn't be so bad, except that at highway speeds, I hear the wind. It really sucks.

I've dismantled the door, taken out and put back the glass, regulator, and motor... I've removed the glass from the regulator and slid it back some, I've slid the regulator back some. (As far as each will move in it's bolt holes.) And nothing helps...

If I roll the window down halfway and try to pull on it, it doesn't move much... About the same as the passenger side, which works perfectly. So there isn't a lot of play in the regulator bushings...

If I guide the window up with my hands, the gap is smaller, and it doesn't whistle as much at high speeds, but it returns if I roll it down and then back up.
Old 03-02-2003, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Window Weather Stripping Gap: Common Problem? (Pele)

Myproblem is exactly the same, when I guided it up with my hand the gap was smaller, but still there. My gap runs the entire length of the window though. I guess all thats left is to buy new stripping? $62.00

-Jake
Old 03-02-2003, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem, the windows rattle like a **** when they are halfway down, and my speakers use to get wet. The car is a 93 Ex.
Old 03-02-2003, 01:27 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

On my 1993 LX Sedan, when I run the window all the way to the top, the glass tilts slightly forward, leaving a small gap at the rear edge. It wouldn't be so bad, except that at highway speeds, I hear the wind. It really sucks.

If I roll the window down halfway and try to pull on it, it doesn't move much... About the same as the passenger side, which works perfectly. So there isn't a lot of play in the regulator bushings...

If I guide the window up with my hands, the gap is smaller, and it doesn't whistle as much at high speeds, but it returns if I roll it down and then back up.
that's exactly how my driver side door is...WORD for ******* word dude...

i went to honda...and asked what i should do...they said new regulator and run channel...$400 bucks please

I literally asked the girl if she was insane...and left

i've learned to live with it...i look like a fool pushing the window to the right as it goes up with my hand...heh oh well
Old 03-02-2003, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: Window Weather Stripping Gap: Common Problem? (BauleyCivic)

this may or may not work....

for the draggin on raising the window... Spray the hell out of both window chanels with silicone lube spray.

Lower the window about half way spray right above the window IN THE CHANEL it sits in. lower the window the rest of the way and SOAK the hell out of the chanel with the spray again... raise up the window all the way and repeat.. this will GREATLY reduce if not completely eliminate any dragging upon raising the window.

I had a big problem with that (jumpy raising). and the silicone spray COMPLETELY eliminated it.

the reason I think it may work for you guys is... if you watch the window come up it does not seal the lower exterior seal until it FULLY seats up top and puts a little more pressure which makes it seat against the lower seal.

good luck hope that helps.
Old 03-02-2003, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Window Weather Stripping Gap: Common Problem? (NonovUrbizniz)

Silocone spray? Like WD-40, or that white goopy spray **** they use on door, hood, and trunk latches and hinges and stuff? Or am I thinking of lithium grease?

Damn.. Too many chemicals out in the garage.
Old 03-03-2003, 05:25 AM

Well I'm not too concerned about the dragging, thats easy to fix as you pointed out. I just hate that gap, I have no idea what to do.