Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Window track

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window track

Urr...so, today driving home, it started to get a bit cold, went to roll up the passenger window..went like 1/3 from the top and stopped and looked severely off track.

car is 12 years old, it's a 97 Civic EX.

anyone else have a similar problem and have a simple fix without taking the door card off and such?

I pushed it back in place meticulously inch by inch and its shut for now but would really like use of both my windows..I'm pretty sure my driver windows teeth are going out on the arm. it makes the typical rattle like noise.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Window track

Youre window is probably fallen off the track. Fixing the problem requires taking off the door panel, Its actually very easy to get the panel off.

Youll need to loosen the 2 10mm bolts that hold the window tracks in and fit them back on the window. Spray the rubber that runs on the window tracks with silicone lubricant, It works amazing.

Id say pull the door panel off and inspect. I paid 70 dollars for an new OE regulator at hondaautomotiveparts.com. It works like butter now. Like i said, Putting the window back on its tracks and spraying the silicone on it is just a temporary mask.

Now, When the regulators get bent, (which is a comman problem with our Generation) theyre pretty much F*cked. The ice and winter conditions are hell on them.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^ good info. I have to fix mine tomoarrow.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ifIexplode
Youre window is probably fallen off the track. Fixing the problem requires taking off the door panel, Its actually very easy to get the panel off.

Youll need to loosen the 2 10mm bolts that hold the window tracks in and fit them back on the window. Spray the rubber that runs on the window tracks with silicone lubricant, It works amazing.

Id say pull the door panel off and inspect. I paid 70 dollars for an new OE regulator at hondaautomotiveparts.com. It works like butter now. Like i said, Putting the window back on its tracks and spraying the silicone on it is just a temporary mask.

Now, When the regulators get bent, (which is a comman problem with our Generation) theyre pretty much F*cked. The ice and winter conditions are hell on them.
Definitely appreciate the help, the window is pretty easy to manipulate right now..seems like something is definitely loose. all I saw was 2 screws to hold the door card on. I'll have to hunt down these screws when its lighter outside.

for now I got it back in place and sprayed some Silicone Oil lube down the tracks I figured it would help a bit.

thats some **** about cold weather..I live in Colorado.

Is it scissor jack electric? or the rocker arm sort lookin thing
Old 04-14-2009, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The door panel cosists of 5 screws. or 6. Either way, There is a few behind the door speaker panel which just pops off. There is another screw in the handle you use to close the door. Also one behind the handle to open the door. I myself have crank windows but instead of having to take the window crank handle off you just have to disconnect the connection to the power window locks and buttons.

When you have all the screws out, pop off the bottam of the door panel first, there is push clips. then pull the bottam of the panel towards you and lift up, The top of the door panel slides overtop a lip on the door itself.

Believe me, Youre not the only one who has had this problem, Honda really sh*t the bed on these. Off topic for a bit, A friend of mine is a big VW guy and his window regulators are just cables and little pulley's, Hardly any moving parts, Its pretty cool.

The regulator is a scissor type and the power windows have a motor on them that spins the regulator just like the window crank would.

Edit. Another way to avoid any problems is to not bottaming out the window regulator, Roll the window down and stop an inch before its all the way down, Thats just speculation though, Idk if that really helps.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

same happened to mine. when u put the window down only go a few inches then push up for one sec then go down. goin up as u go down puts the window back into its place. soooo simple to avoid the whole window fell into the door situation.. i wouldnt buy a new track, i havnt. and i dont have any probs anymore once i figured out how to put it down correctly, but then again before anyone else can say....yes im cheap bc i wont buy unessesary things lol damn civic windows.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Right on man, once again, Appreciate the help. I'll get on this over the weekend and post up pics along the way..maybe it'll make a helpful DIY for other 6th Gen guys who have this same problem.

I'm sorta relieved to know it's just a 6th gen defect not anything wrong with my car in particular. It's like honda's clear coat from 91-94...what clear coat? see a **** ton of Oxidized roofs and hoods on Vigors and Integras.

Hmm..Scissor type. no wonder they suck. cant believe I'm gonna compliment a ford but I definitely like the regulators and window set up on the 90's Ford Rangers

Also..if it's Scissor? why would it make the slipping tooth sound when I roll up my driver side? I'm not sure how the electric ones work of that fashion, might also have teeth and I just dont know

And how hard do ya think it would be to switch to Manual? Electric motors weigh a **** ton and I'd be happy to cut the 20-30lbs luxury of electric.

Edit: i see how it works now..for anyone wondering..here's one

Last edited by NightCat; 04-14-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That sounds is your regulator motor struggling and grindign the teeth to roll the window up because its either off track or getting stuck throughout the window guides.

Heres this, I forgot about it.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/diy-window-track-problem-2061336/
Old 04-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sweet man! I'll be sure to follow that, and take my own pics to update that thread incase the ones there go out.

I'll get back to y'all on monday
Old 04-14-2009, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

GL with it.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

explode has a good link to your problem on how to take your door apart and fix your window problem. my car did the same thing to me and i had to take my door apart 4 times in 1 week... it got really annoying cuz i know i got my window on the track, and i also tried tightening up the two 10mm that bolts into the window. my very very last resort was to buy a new, from-honda, window channel... which is the black rubber that goes around your inner door frame that your window slides on. when yu have a 12 year old car the rubber on that eventually wears out and doesnt support the window anymore. GL and post back on monday!
Old 04-18-2009, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well...I would've done this little fix but...ran into a problem

as I'm sure you can all see, and also, while I was at school I figured I'd check AllData about this...seems 96-98 Civics all have this problem. it sad somethin about if your VIN is similar to "1HGEJ814VL*****"

so basically...EX models of the EJ8. so **** me sideways.maybe I can print it off and get Honda to replace it for free.

if not, Ill just do it myself. But AllData lists it as a factory defect

eh...well..about an hour after the snow stopped I dug out my poor car...here she is..still freezing.

Dont live in Colorado guys...**** this place.