Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Wierd simple GSR rear brake pad question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd simple GSR rear brake pad question...

I have an EK hatch with GSR disk brakes all around. My rear passenger side pads are super low and the pad alarm sound is going off. Kinda bad while driving, even worse in reverse. I have ordered Axxis metal pads for both the front and rear to replace all of them, but currently, only the rear passenger side one is at the alarm level.

My question, is it possible to just remove the rear passenger pads so there will just be the front pads and 1 rear drivers side pad stopping the car? I don't care about the current pads or how bad they wear because the pads will be changed anyway.

I just wanted to make sure the rear passenger piston can not actually reach out far enough to grab the rotor itself.

The reason I'm doing this is because the pads have been on the way since the 4th but due to super slow ups shipping, they won't be here till the 12th and thats a few more days of anoying alarms. I will only drive this car to and from the train station once a day, so I'm not pushing the car hard on this setup, because the pads do need to be changed like asap.

I just want to make the alarm stop and make sure that the metal of the warn pad does not scratch the rotor all up. Please help
Old 04-07-2005, 05:30 AM
Ditto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it... I disconnected my brake lines and my master cylinder last night.

Went for a test , hit a 120mph and slammed the brakes. Seems to stop faster than ever
Old 04-07-2005, 05:38 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Wierd simple GSR rear brake pad question... (kay_animation)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kay_animation &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My question, is it possible to just remove the rear passenger pads so there will just be the front pads and 1 rear drivers side pad stopping the car?</TD></TR></TABLE>

NO!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2005, 05:57 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kay_animation &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My question, is it possible to just remove the rear passenger pads so there will just be the front pads and 1 rear drivers side pad stopping the car? I don't care about the current pads or how bad they wear because the pads will be changed anyway.

I just wanted to make sure the rear passenger piston can not actually reach out far enough to grab the rotor itself.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Safety first. Four wheels, four brakes. And if the piston extends out far enough you could run your brake fluid reservoir dry and get air in your brake lines.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wierd simple GSR rear brake pad question... (mct121)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mct121 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Safety first. Four wheels, four brakes. And if the piston extends out far enough you could run your brake fluid reservoir dry and get air in your brake lines.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Very true, well, I guess I have 5 more days of sounding like a piece of screeching metal before the new pads get here
Old 04-07-2005, 06:21 AM
Senor Miembro

stop crying
Old 04-07-2005, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wierd simple GSR rear brake pad question... (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

NO!!!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed. That's dangerous because you don't want to listen to a pad wear indicator.

Rotti, you're freaking dangerous. I hope to god you never show up around my area. 120 then stomping the brakes with only the front pads on.....
Old 04-07-2005, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wierd simple GSR rear brake pad question... (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Agreed. That's dangerous because you don't want to listen to a pad wear indicator.

Rotti, you're freaking dangerous. I hope to god you never show up around my area. 120 then stomping the brakes with only the front pads on..... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed, but my main concern was not just the sound. The pad is like rubing the rotor cause its gone and not only does it make the alarm sound, but its like the rear brake is kinda holding. So I can stay on a small encline and not roll back any more and I'm afraid that its actually wearing the rotor. Its not grabing hard of course, but it is grabbing a little so that around like 5mph, I can stop braking and the car will finish braking itself, and my current miles per gallon are like 50 off from me using the gas more to accellerate against the brake.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You'll need to have the rotors turned anyway when you put the new pads on it. A couple more days isn't going to hurt it that much more.

You think the rotor is hung? Try jacking the car up and spinning both rear tires and see if one seems to spin less freely than the other. That's a pretty damn good way to test.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:35 AM

just remove the wear indicator tab...
Old 04-07-2005, 06:40 AM
be professional

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kay_animation &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Agreed, but my main concern was not just the sound. The pad is like rubing the rotor cause its gone and not only does it make the alarm sound, but its like the rear brake is kinda holding. So I can stay on a small encline and not roll back any more and I'm afraid that its actually wearing the rotor. Its not grabing hard of course, but it is grabbing a little so that around like 5mph, I can stop braking and the car will finish braking itself, and my current miles per gallon are like 50 off from me using the gas more to accellerate against the brake.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Umm, stop driving that car.

You could damage the rotor so that it cannot be cut. Letting the friction material wear down completely until the backing plate contacts the rotor causes extreme heat buildup in the brakes. This can/will cause the rotor to crack or warp, fluid to boil, and in some cases, cause the piston to weld itself to the backing plate, burn up the caliper seals and start a flash fire, or even cause hubs to fail.

Scared yet?

If you have to use the car, I'd go to a local auto parts store and pick up a $10 set of rear pads to use until the ones you ordered arrive.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wierd simple GSR rear brake pad question... (igyloo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igyloo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just remove the wear indicator tab...</TD></TR></TABLE>

If its really bother you that much
Old 04-07-2005, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Umm, stop driving that car.

You could damage the rotor so that it cannot be cut. Letting the friction material wear down completely until the backing plate contacts the rotor causes extreme heat buildup in the brakes. This can/will cause the rotor to crack or warp, fluid to boil, and in some cases, cause the piston to weld itself to the backing plate, burn up the caliper seals and start a flash fire, or even cause hubs to fail.

Scared yet?

If you have to use the car, I'd go to a local auto parts store and pick up a $10 set of rear pads to use until the ones you ordered arrive.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Might have to do that I guess I'll be attending autozone today. I love how the indicator didn' come on till it was like completely gone But whatever, I'll add the cheap one's for now and use them as backups in the future. Might as well.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:10 AM
be professional

If there is still friction material left, you might be okay if you're only driving a couple light miles a day for 5 days. Is there any friction material left at all?
Old 04-07-2005, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If there is still friction material left, you might be okay if you're only driving a couple light miles a day for 5 days. Is there any friction material left at all?</TD></TR></TABLE>

True, but I need to just go ahead and change at least the rears now with some cheap ones. I love how everyone like ups and usps takes 3 to 5 days, ups is taking 8 so far...

But I'll do the new rear autozones for now. They'll be my backups from now on If this happens again.