Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Who has had a fuel pump give out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 09:52 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Who has had a fuel pump give out?

My stupid EM1 started acting up out of nowhere. It started just misfiring under load...which kind of lead me to think maybe a coil issue (I just replaced the distributor a while back). It wasn't really just a one cylinder misfire. It was a complete stop in acceleration. Then the problem progressed to the car stumbling and dying at stoplights. Now I just have to keep it revved up a bit at lights and take off really slowly. If I give it a significant or moderate amount of throttle, it usually dies (from a stoplight). Then I have to shift real high to keep me from pressing the throttle much. It just stumbles under high or moderate throttle load...and at idle. If I give it moderate amounts of gas pedal, it will stumble and pretty much shut down. When I let off the gas, it comes back to life.

When it starts to die, if I give it more gas, it just slows down more and KNOCKS. The knocking leads me to believe that it's running lean. Then it just turns off. I can start it right back up. If I let off the gas, it gets better.

So far, it's kind of a random occurence of misfiring. It acts up when it wants and behaves when it wants.

Anyone who has had a fuel pump go out see this as a familiar scenario?

I'm about to fix it with a big hammer. For ever.

Hopefully someone can help out because the car is annoying/worrysome to drive in traffic and there are going to be "strong storms" in this area for the next week. I wont drive my S2000 in strong storms. I will have to resort to walking thru the hail and lightning.

Help a brotha out.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Who has had a fuel pump give out? (B serious)

Its sounds like the fuel pump to me. I have had two fuel pumps go out on me and its not a fun experience. I was driving and felt the car just die out (Imagine just a big bubble in your fuel line it would get fuel then just bog and knock and then get gas and continue the same ****. I turned around from where I was heading which was the mall and at everylight I had to keep it reved up just right becuz if it wass to much it would die but if it was to little it would die as well. I would def check your fuel pump man Mine cost me $125 on ebay a real walbro 255 has been working good ever since
Old 06-04-2008, 11:15 PM

Default Re: Who has had a fuel pump give out? (IP RACING)

sounds good. Thanks for the input.

Anyone else have the same experience?

I dont really want a 255lph. I'd be paying more for something I'd never use. Maybe I can get a 190lph for cheaper.

Whats the stock pump rated at? 150lph?
Old 06-05-2008, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think its 145 or 155 and if you run the 255 it wont effect anything I was still getting the same mileage. dude $125 shipped not bad
Old 06-06-2008, 09:30 AM

Default Re: Who has had a fuel pump give out? (IP RACING)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IP RACING &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think its 145 or 155 and if you run the 255 it wont effect anything I was still getting the same mileage. dude $125 shipped not bad</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know it wont affect the mileage...however, it is more expensive than a 190LPH..and 255s make that annoying buzzing/whining noise the whole time you're driving. I've had a car with a 255. It's not as bad with the 190.

At this point, though, I replaced my cap/rotor with brand new ones I had sitting around. I tested the coil and came up with 1.3OHMs and 13K OHMs at 87 degrees. So the coil seems to be OK. The car runs good now with the new cap and rotor. I bought a distributor with a lifetime warranty a few months back and the warranty didn't include the cap/rotor. Which makes me think that the cap and rotor that came with it are probably garbage.

I can't really get the Knocking out of my mind....that would totally mean lean AF.....but the fact is that the car hasn't stumbled since I changed the cap/rotor out. The rotor did look all burned and weird when I took it out.

Oh well. I'll see how it goes over the next couple of days.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Status?
Old 06-12-2008, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Who has had a fuel pump give out? (AFAccord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AFAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Status?</TD></TR></TABLE>

So far so good. Must have been the cap/rotor.

I'll update if the car acts up again.

The update will read: "otherwise clean EM1 goes to car crusher for annoying me"
Old 06-12-2008, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same problem and fixed the cap and rotor and the problem came back. Then replaced the Main Relay. Working fine ever since.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:14 PM

Default Re: (rSol93)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rSol93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had the same problem and fixed the cap and rotor and the problem came back. Then replaced the Main Relay. Working fine ever since.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I didn't really suspect the main relay since the gauges all stayed on when the car bogged out. Also, the car stayed on...it just wouldn't accept any throttle angle.

Main relay issues usually result in the car just turning off...and sometimes the gauges turning off.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:59 PM
x0!
Honda-Tech Member

interesting, ive never had a pump go out like that.

on my old car everything was running great. woke up and it was dead. never had one slowly go out.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:06 PM

Default Re: (x0!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by x0! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">interesting, ive never had a pump go out like that.

on my old car everything was running great. woke up and it was dead. never had one slowly go out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont think it's the pump.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So far so good. Must have been the cap/rotor.

I'll update if the car acts up again.

The update will read: "otherwise clean EM1 goes to car crusher for annoying me"</TD></TR></TABLE>