Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Where to send rotors to get plated?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where to send rotors to get plated?

Hey guys I am looking to send my brake rotors out to get plated (cadmium, zinc, tin zinc whatever not sure which one yet) but I dont know of any places that do it.

Anyone know of a plating shop?

Thanks
Old 06-01-2006, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Where to send rotors to get plated? (TurboEM1)

That's actually a good question. Have you thought about buying new ones(already plated)?
Old 06-01-2006, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Where to send rotors to get plated? (black_EM1)

I already have brand new brembo blanks sitting in my room. I contemplated painting them but it looks so much nicer if you get them plated.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Where to send rotors to get plated? (TurboEM1)

See, I was under the impression that you wanted to get them plated for better braking performance. You just want them to look cool, is what I'm gathering.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Where to send rotors to get plated? (black_EM1)

yea the plating is a cosmetic thing only.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The plating will just wear off in a matter of days if not less if you get the rotors plated.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ProjectNoob)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ProjectNoob &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The plating will just wear off in a matter of days if not less if you get the rotors plated.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No it wont. It will only wear where the brake pads rub on the face of the rotor but it will stay on the hats and everywhere else.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ProjectNoob &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The plating will just wear off in a matter of days if not less if you get the rotors plated.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's nowhere near a coherent sentence. Grammar &gt; You

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboEM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea the plating is a cosmetic thing only.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboEM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No it wont. It will only wear where the brake pads rub on the face of the rotor but it will stay on the hats and everywhere else. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Gotcha. Not really my cup of tea, but good luck with finding someplace to do it
Old 06-01-2006, 09:54 AM

Default Re: (black_EM1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by black_EM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That's nowhere near a coherent sentence. Grammar &gt; You
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you my english teacher now?
Old 06-01-2006, 09:57 AM

Gotcha...i thought you wanted to plate the surface of your rotors and was having a hard time figuring out why...I hate when people tell me what to do with my car so if thats what you want go for it.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just to clear up why i am doing it.

Im in NY and in the northeast rotors rust out very fast. They dump so much road salt in the winter. Plus the fact that I live on the water and the ocean is 30ft from where I park; I can wash my car and watch the rotor rust/corrode. I installed brand new rotors on my brothers CRX and they next day they were rusted. It is for looks as well as durability/reliability.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TurboEM1)

That's the truth. I'm originally from Philly, so I hear what your saying

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ProjectNoob &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Are you my english teacher now?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I can't actually correct your bad English, so no, I'm not your English teacher. Judging by you, she failed. Miserably. What I can do is make sense when I post. This idea is strange to you, I realize.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:13 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (black_EM1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by black_EM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's nowhere near a coherent sentence. Grammar &gt; You</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, that sentence is perfectly legible if you have half a brain. He's missing a set of commas or hyphens:

"The plating will just wear off in a matter of days - if not less - if you get the rotors plated."

As to the OP, nothing is going to keep the surface of the sweep area from rusting. Since that's all you can see through the wheel spokes, basically you're going to pay to have your rotors blingified, you're going to drive for five minutes and then you'll never be able to tell why you spent that money unless you pull your wheels off and admire your rotor hats.

If that's worthwhile to you, call a chrome plating shop and they'll be able to direct you to the nearest business that can do you right
Old 06-01-2006, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> As to the OP, nothing is going to keep the surface of the sweep area from rusting. Since that's all you can see through the wheel spokes, basically you're going to pay to have your rotors blingified, you're going to drive for five minutes and then you'll never be able to tell why you spent that money unless you pull your wheels off and admire your rotor hats.

If that's worthwhile to you, call a chrome plating shop and they'll be able to direct you to the nearest business that can do you right </TD></TR></TABLE>

The sweep area will not rust since as soon as you drive and apply the brakes it will wear off the surface rust that was there. As for the rest of the rotor. With the rims I have on my car you can see almost the entire rotor along with the hats. Anyway thanks for the advice. Ill continue to look around.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Actually, that sentence is perfectly legible if you have half a brain. He's missing a set of commas or hyphens:

"The plating will just wear off in a matter of days - if not less - if you get the rotors plated."

</TD></TR></TABLE>

See, the way I read it was:

"The plating will just wear off in a matter of days, if not less, if you get the rotors plated."

Cheers to you my, man
Old 06-01-2006, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TurboEM1)

if you can't find a place to have them plated. The next best thing would be to have them cryo dipped. This will not plate the rotor. However it will releave the stress in the metal and make them stronger and last 3 to 4 times longer. It might also help keep things a little more rust free but I am not sure about that
Old 06-01-2006, 10:32 AM
I love to drive

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">call a chrome plating shop and they'll be able to direct you to the nearest business that can do you right </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think this is your best bet.