Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

where to mount 4pt belts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where to mount 4pt belts?

where does everyone mount there lap belts in an eg?
Old 05-14-2004, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: where to mount 4pt belts? (bdicustoms)

Do you have a roll cage?
Old 05-14-2004, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: where to mount 4pt belts? (JRI94)

4pt = death... weeeeee

Honestly, just considering how unsafe they are without an anti-sub belt and a rollbar.... I think I'll pass on giving you mounting info.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: where to mount 4pt belts? (splitime)

On most cars you use the seat belt mounting bolts for the lap belt and then buy a harness bar for the shoulder belts.

The fifth point is nice but some seats hold your lap belts in place for most drivers. It's fine if its a street car if done properly, its better than the stock 3 point.
Old 05-14-2004, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: where to mount 4pt belts? (shaundrake)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shaundrake &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its better than the stock 3 point.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sure, if in a rollover with roof collapsing you like to die instead of survive.
Old 05-14-2004, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd really like to see some statistics from crashs that include number of actual rollovers, along with comparisons in those rollovers that include which ones has normal lapbelts, four points, with and without rollcages for each. And maybe have those compared to the DOTs and TUV data that legally allows them to sell four points and offer them as a dealer option in some cars. The theories about harness applications are good and sound, but not very practical. I have yet to see a wreck in person where the roof collapsed to the point of killing the driver ( rally events where rollcage is madatory excluded). Hell, I posted a pic here of even a Del sol that was roof bound, and didn't completely collapse

But yes, if your seat back fails, and/or your roof collapses to the point of crushing you, you'd be better off with a normal OE belt.
Old 05-14-2004, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92b16vx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92b16vx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd really like to see some statistics from crashs that include number of actual rollovers, along with comparisons in those rollovers that include which ones has normal lapbelts, four points, with and without rollcages for each. And maybe have those compared to the DOTs and TUV data that legally allows them to sell four points and offer them as a dealer option in some cars. The theories about harness applications are good and sound, but not very practical. I have yet to see a wreck in person where the roof collapsed to the point of killing the driver ( rally events where rollcage is madatory excluded). Hell, I posted a pic here of even a Del sol that was roof bound, and didn't completely collapse

But yes, if your seat back fails, and/or your roof collapses to the point of crushing you, you'd be better off with a normal OE belt.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good luck finding that data. How many people do you think really run any of that equipment and then have it recorded in official records.

Simply put, any rollover that causes any roof collapse the 3pt belt is safest... UNLESS you have a rollbar. Then with a rollbar you need to have a 5pt so you don't slide around into the monkey bars. With a CAGE you shouldn't even be driving without a helment and all the monkey bars need padding.

Easy example of why harness + no bar = bad I got to witness at Gingerman Raceway last year. I guy skipped out without his instructor... fought his car in an off and flipped it. He had a M3 with 4pt harnesses and NO rollbar. If the instructor had been in the car he would have been seriously injured if not DEAD. The roof was sitting mid chest level on the passenger side, if the guy had flipped in the other direction... he would have been the one seriously injured/dead.

PS: I'll try to find the pics, if they are still online anywhere.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:25 AM

can anyone anwser my question?
Old 05-14-2004, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bdicustoms &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">can anyone anwser my question?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Considering we don't give out info that can potentally KILL YOU, NO you won't get an answer from me at least.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You haven't said whether or not you have a roll bar/cage yet.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:50 AM

no roll cage or roll bar
Old 05-14-2004, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bdicustoms &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no roll cage or roll bar</TD></TR></TABLE>

Then we're not going to tell you. It's for your own safety. You shouldn't install it.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:04 AM

are you serious, if you roll anything over you will get hurt whether you have 3, 4, 5 or even no seat belts. but in anyother accedent you will probily be safer. i know a cage would be better in a roll over but like splitime said you should'nt even be driving a car with a cage without a helmet.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you do know if you mount your 4point seatbelts to the frame instead of a roll bar/cage (like this \ ), you have some pretty good chances of getting a broken spine and/or neck if you were to get into an accident, right?
Old 05-14-2004, 11:18 AM

Default Re: where to mount 4pt belts? (Dimi)

yeah that must be the reason i bought the harnesses because i drive like a wildman on the streets, ah no the reason i bought them is to auto x not to try and be cool and drive like a dumbass on the streets and endanger other people.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:20 AM

right now the sholder belt is attached to the rear c piller bolt for the rear belts and the lap belts are attached to the seat bracket.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take it out and get a rollbar with harness bar.

im not gonna go into great depth but you have 2 serious problems right now

1) the harness isnt installed correctly, wich meant it may fail in the event of an accident (angles of belt)

2) you are using it on a car without a rollbar. the stock seatbelt allows you to move down in the event of a rollover accident, a harness keeps you in place, that will kill you. this isnt a joke, we arent trying to be ********. take it off till you can get a bar.

and if you take that to an autoctoss whoever techs you should NOT let you drive.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:29 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bdicustoms &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">right now the sholder belt is attached to the rear c piller bolt for the rear belts and the lap belts are attached to the seat bracket.</TD></TR></TABLE>

dude that **** is wack! the length you have the shoulder harnesses at will cause major stretch on something that throws you forward! and the lap belts are way off also!!!

and no help will be given without you being properly ready to have those seatbelts in your car!!!
Old 05-14-2004, 11:32 AM

If anything, you will need at least a harness bar that goes behind your headrest area. Helmet + Rollcage + harness are for extreme measures in motorsports. Most people on this board will never go to that extend.

My other suggestion is have a bucket seat. A good bucket seat that holds you well + OE seatbelts are pretty nice. If you don't already have a bucket seat that is. Cause 4 pt harness + OE seats won't do much I would imagine.

Old 05-14-2004, 11:53 AM

Default Re: (Nova_Dust)

i have a sparco speed seat also
Old 05-14-2004, 12:45 PM

Manufacturers put millions of dollars into the seatbelt/airbag area of a car. There is no logical reason to change any of that on a street car. If you have a race car, then mount it on the roll bar.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was thinking of hooking mine up to a harness bar. But after this thread, I'm not sure anymore. I want to be as safe as possible though.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bdicustoms &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i know a cage would be better in a roll over but like splitime said you should'nt even be driving a car with a cage without a helmet.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was stating a roll CAGE is bad on the street. A roll BAR is acceptable, if padded and a reasonable distance from the driver. That would prevent B-pillar crushage of you in an accident.