Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Where does this clip/plug go?? and CRXB5's AC Nightmare Repair Journey

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where does this clip/plug go?? and CRXB5's AC Nightmare Repair Journey

Hello,
I will be continuing to trouble shoot my cars AC system in this thread. The car is a 1998 Honda Civic Hatchback with a 99 Civic SI Dash swap and a B16a Engine. Upon Purchasing the car i noticed that the AC system was not blowing cold at all. When I took it home I added some freon and inspected the system and noticed the Condenser Fan was not working. Also I found the both side pressures to be low (while running Low 12 ish and high side 135 if I remember correctly). Taking a Shot in the dark I replaced the expansion valve under the glove-box and that seemed to do nothing. I also replaced the AC compressor fan assembly with a VDO brand and got that working properly when the AC button is turned on. I also added UV dye to the system and inspected thoroughly with UV light but found no leaks. I then used my vacuum pump to see if the system would hold 30 inHG and it didn't, indicating a slight leak somewhere. I bench tested my gauge setup to confirm the leak was not in my gauges and it wasn't. after then adding more freon to system and continuing diagnosing I then had my second set of harbor freight gauges fail on me and returned them frustrated. I then took my car to a local shop to have them inspect system only to tell me to replace my ac compressor, expansion valve, and receiver/drier, and both schrader valves (which i know where slightly leaking but not root cause of problem). Currently I plan on replacing the AC compressor, Receiver/Drier, and both Schrader valves. Does anyone agree this is worth doing or any other things i should check first?

Also where does this loose connector under my dash/console go to?

Old 07-20-2015, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: Where does this clip/plug go?? and CRXB5's AC Nightmare Repair Journey

does your 12v port work? that looks like it may be the plug for that . maybe not I am use to 92-95s
Old 08-10-2015, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Where does this clip/plug go?? and CRXB5's AC Nightmare Repair Journey

Just an Update. I replaced the condenser and AC compressor and my AC is ice cold now. I think my compressor was shot and not building appropriate pressures. I used an Everco (four seasons compressor). I had to swap my manifold over to the top of the compressor in order to use it with my AC lines.
AC condenser and receiver i ordered from Rock Auto. I used about 4.5 ounces of PAG 45 oil when i installed my compressor. I also replaced both schrader valves. AC is blowing 49F now and works great. I also verified its not losing any freon.

Thanks