Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Where can I find a 3" EK cold air intake?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where can I find a 3" EK cold air intake?

Does anyone have any links on where I could get a 3" CAI for an EK with an ITR engine? I've checked ebay and all the major manufactures and all they list is a 2.75" intake for the 99-00 Si.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:46 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 3" EK cold air intake

http://www.go-autoworks-store.com/gosbshramin.html

And if you have an Si, its an EM not EK
Old 12-19-2011, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I can't believe they charge $180 for a no name cold air ebayish intake. But anyways, thank you sir.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:55 PM
Retired Moderator

LOL..

the 1/4" really wont make much of a difference anyways. if your running a 68/70mm TB the 2.75 will be fine
Old 12-19-2011, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EsotericImage
LOL..

the 1/4" really wont make much of a difference anyways. if your running a 68/70mm TB the 2.75 will be fine
every 1/4 counts lmao
Old 12-19-2011, 04:02 PM
Retired Moderator

check frozenboost.com and votionspeed.com

i think they have 3" piping you can purchase for your DIY SRI
Old 12-19-2011, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks, but i'm trying to find a cold air intake, not a short ram.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:27 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have your mechanic make you a 3" intake tube from leftover exhaust piping.

A 3" pipe is a 3" pipe.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

negative. steel piping will retain much more heat than aluminum piping. plus, the steel piping is much heavier. no need to add more weight to the car. especially the front.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check out speed by spector they have do it your self kits and will even weld up your pipe after you get it mocked up (use's foam blocks to hold the bends together for mock up )
Old 12-19-2011, 06:53 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by RyanR
negative. steel piping will retain much more heat than aluminum piping. plus, the steel piping is much heavier. no need to add more weight to the car. especially the front.
Point taken, regardless, the difference won't be enough to matter.

Your second point is nearly as laughable as the first. It's a pipe on an economy engine. The material construction isn't as prevalent as many would purport. Which notable, again, not really a big effin' deal.

You could also just order some 3" piping from an online hardware store, k-teller, or a machine shop.

My point was this: "Getting a 3" diameter pipe is cheap"
Old 12-19-2011, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Libertariat
Point taken, regardless, the difference won't be enough to matter.

Your second point is nearly as laughable as the first. It's a pipe on an economy engine. The material construction isn't as prevalent as many would purport. Which notable, again, not really a big effin' deal.

You could also just order some 3" piping from an online hardware store, k-teller, or a machine shop.

My point was this: "Getting a 3" diameter pipe is cheap"
Not a big deal? Try touching AL pipe 5 min after shutting off your engine. Cool. Try it with your exhaust. Not so cool. Maybe you should take a gander at a heatsink. Last I checked they were AL for a reason. http://www.hondata.com/heatshieldgasket.html try taking a minute to learn something instead of just regurgitating what you read on honda-tech.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by RyanR
Not a big deal? Try touching AL pipe 5 min after shutting off your engine. Cool. Try it with your exhaust. Not so cool. Maybe you should take a gander at a heatsink. Last I checked they were AL for a reason. http://www.hondata.com/heatshieldgasket.html try taking a minute to learn something instead of just regurgitating what you read on honda-tech.
Any of the heat that the intake pipe absorbs is from three sources:

1) The combustion energy transferred to the block, through the intake manifold gasket, through the manifold, through the silicone connector, to the pipe.
2) The hot air in the engine bay warmed by the former.
3) The cool air in the engine bay coming in from underneath the bumper.

Please tell me what a gasket has to do with an intake pipe. We're talking apples and oranges. At least they're both fruits, but they really aren't the same.

Do a little reading on metallurgy before you argue hyperbole:

Originally Posted by Engineers at AEM
Whether or not an inlet system is made from aluminum, steel, or plastic, the thermal conductivity of the duct material has little effect on engine power. We have found that the tuning of the pipe, in addition to providing the coolest inlet air source, are the keys to making useable power. We perform engine inlet-air-temp studies when developing each application to determine the coolest location for sourcing inlet air. In addition to this, we determine the safest location for the inlet source to protect it from highly dusty conditions and water. To this end, we provide a stainless-steel heat shield to help minimize heat soak into the inlet area, as well as to provide protection from dust, dirt and mud.

At light throttle opening, air speed and airflow at the inlet system are relatively low. The high residence time of air in the inlet while at low-throttle settings will increase inlet charge temps when materials with high thermal conductivity are used. Typically, when someone is at light throttle they are not asking the engine to make power. Most likely, fuel economy is the issue.

When the throttle is fully opened however, air speed and airflow increase considerably. Typically, the inlet air speed of a 5.7L engine with a four-inch duct at full throttle is 34 feet-per-second, based on a volumetric efficiency of 70% and an engine speed of 3,000 rpm. Most inlet systems for every intake manufacturer for this engine are 30 inches or less. This means that the air in the duct of a 30-inch inlet length on this engine at the given rpm is 1/10th of a second—hardly enough time to transfer an appreciable amount of heat into the air stream on any system.

Basically, the rate at which air travels through the inlet path under open throttle, when one is asking the engine for maximum power, negates the effect of material heat soak, regardless of the material. We hope that this helps to clear up the issues of material heat absorption in intake systems.
That said, you're right that aluminum is better. But it's not worth writing home about. The difference is inconsequential for everyone but professional racers.

Aluminum is cheaper, lighter, and doesn't resonate sound as badly as steel does. Among the minor chemical advantages listed above. That's most of the reason why it's used over steel for generic intake applications.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:52 PM
Retired Moderator

theres silicone intakes being made now if heat soak is going to be an issue.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got a pretty good 3" short ram intake off ebay for around 40 bucks. You just have to keep looking around and eventually one will pop up. They're out there, you just have to have patience.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why not just get the Samco 3" intake hose for an ITR and mate that to the Comptech Icebox? Expensive? Yes, but at the same time your getting all of the great effects of your "CAI" while still preventing as much heat soak as possible.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

get a dryer hose with a filter at the end and call it a day 5 bucks at lowes bend it and cut it the way you want it