Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

where am I gonna get E-brake cables?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 04:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default where am I gonna get E-brake cables?

Hey, I've got a 95 civic lx with d15b7, 5 speed and w/o ABS (I think). Anyways I'm pretty sure I snapped both of my parking brake cables and it also seems that none of the local parts stores have it, even the import specialty stores don't have it. Am I gonna have to go through dealership for this? How do I even know which ones to get? I see all types of different sizes and whatnot online and I haven't taken the cable out and measured it yet. I was looking online and found some raybestos cables that looked like they would work but they also said w/ABS and i'm pretty sure I don't have ABS. What should I do?
Old 02-22-2013, 04:34 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: where am I gonna get E-brake cables?

Junkyard or Craigslist part out cars. Or they're $50 each from hondaautomotiveparts.com.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:26 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Majestic honda
Old 02-22-2013, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Could try autozone if you haven't already. I bought a set of cables from them earlier this week.

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 02-22-2013, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 95civ928
Hey, I've got a 95 civic lx with d15b7, 5 speed and w/o ABS (I think). Anyways I'm pretty sure I snapped both of my parking brake cables and it also seems that none of the local parts stores have it, even the import specialty stores don't have it. Am I gonna have to go through dealership for this? How do I even know which ones to get? I see all types of different sizes and whatnot online and I haven't taken the cable out and measured it yet. I was looking online and found some raybestos cables that looked like they would work but they also said w/ABS and i'm pretty sure I don't have ABS. What should I do?
If you're gonna stay with factory drums, any of the preceding suggestions are perfectly valid. The used parts options are the cheapest, and when you have to pick the part yourself, you get the bonus of learning the prep-work to reinstalling it on your system. Personally, when something in one of my Civics breaks, I usually try to replace it with a performance upgrade.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by doctorake
Majestic honda
After you factor in shipping, those guys are pretty good for OEM when that occasional need pops-up. They're also a good resource for researching Acura/Honda P/N's interchangeability. In fact, I think I used them to figure-out what ebrake cables I needed to put on my EJ when I did the rear brake swap. Being that the wheel base for the 2 and 4 dr EJ's is the same (and around 2" longer than the EG HB). It turned-out that the cables I needed were from either the 4 dr Teg or a 4 dr ABS equipped Civic (rare), that I then got used from a Teg part-out.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You could try ebay? I would just buy the cables that is specifically made for your car to be exact.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vtec_burnin'
You could try ebay? I would just buy the cables that is specifically made for your car to be exact.
eBay is fine if schedule allows for dealing, via the mail, with the occasional %#$@!**& that happens. Local, in every scenario, allows for a more immediate remedy if needed.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:39 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just recently got new brake cables for my disc swap. Cross referenced part numbers from hondaautomotiveparts.com with Amazon and rockauto.com, and ended up buying both cables from Amazon. Same product, same part number, cheaper. It's all about knowing what you're looking for, and being willing to shop around.