Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

When to replace suspension parts, knuckles, control arms, etc

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 07:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default When to replace suspension parts, knuckles, control arms, etc

Yeah so... I've got a 99 SI
The guy before me didnt take care of it, so both body and apperantly some suspension parts are rusted big time. Body is easy enough... However... How do you know when you need to replace the supporting metals in the suspension. I do not want a peice breaking on the track or on the road, then watch as the car totals itself with me in it. I know I probably have a long time to go... But it is a big job and needs planning.

Also, Where would I get these parts aftermarket? I figure why go OEM when I might be able to get better.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: When to replace suspension parts, knuckles, control arms, etc (CooBlueDAB)

Just replace the bushings. All of the suspension peices on my hatch have 230,000 miles on them. However they feel brand new because I replaced all the bushings with a energy suspension bushing kit.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:27 PM

Default Re: When to replace suspension parts, knuckles, control arms, etc (TurboTagTeam)

I guess I am just worried about one of the peices breaking in half. One of my friends had that happen just reciently. The knuckle broke. And I keep seeing cars on the side of the road up here like that more and more.... Making me paranoid I guess.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:50 PM

Default Re: When to replace suspension parts, knuckles, control arms, etc (CooBlueDAB)

It must suck living up north and having the salt damage your ride.Just keep a close eye on your ride and if you see the need replace then.Any good reputable aftermarket company would be fine.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:55 PM

most of what your seeing is probably just surface rust.

if your really worried about it take a hammer and lightly hit your suspension pieces to be sure there are no rusted out holes in anything.

i would imagine it would take a long time to rust out something as thick as a knuckle or other suspension pieces.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:44 AM

Default Re: When to replace suspension parts, knuckles, control arms, etc (b16ej1lsd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16ej1lsd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">most of what your seeing is probably just surface rust.

if your really worried about it take a hammer and lightly hit your suspension pieces to be sure there are no rusted out holes in anything.

i would imagine it would take a long time to rust out something as thick as a knuckle or other suspension pieces.</TD></TR></TABLE>

probably right.. but better safe than sorry... Hrm, would there be any bad effects to using a wire brush etc... and scrapping all th erust off? like... making it rust more or something? I would like to clean them up, like I do my break calipers.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:52 AM

donr worry about the surface rust on the suspension parts. i live in montreal and with the amount of salt that we have to put on our roads in the winter, a lot of the parts under the car start rusting. in most cases its surface rust and if it really worries you, simply take em off and sandblast them when you change your bushings. paint em what ever color you want