Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Wheel stud replacment. $$$ ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel stud replacment. $$$ ?

Does anyone know what it costs to get studs replaced? I only need one of my front hubs re-done, I can do the rear. thanks.
Old 07-21-2003, 07:52 AM

I had the same problem, stripped a stud after being put on a dynapack. I got ripped at a local shop, charged me $40 for the change, but I needed it, I was in the middle of nowhere and didn't want to drive home on 3 studs.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:40 AM

Default Re: (draco067)

so they charged you $40 to change one stud? From one of your front wheels? That's not too bad compared to what I was thinking. Changing one is just as easy as doing all 4 on one hub so I don't see why it would be much more than that for all 4... just the price of the studs I would assume.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (one.EG6)

I paid under $20 for one of mine.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:46 AM
clm
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I've heard that ~$50 is the normal price. And unless you have a grinder to to grind of the end of the stud, then have a shop do it. I helped put in 4 new ones after an autocross and it was a PITA.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:11 AM

Default Re: Wheel stud replacment. $$$ ? (one.EG6)

I was quoted from NTB: $45 if it was an easy replacement and $70 if it was difficult. I asked which one it would be and they said they would have to charge me $70 and if it was easier then expected they would give me a credit. I passed on that and after reading how cheap they can be done for, I'm glad. I'm going to check else where to get it done now. I hope I can find a place that can do it cheaply.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had 2 striped studs and couldnt take the wheel off. So i went to honda dealer and bought 2 studs for cheap. Blow torched the two off not hurting the wheel. CHeap way to go.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:36 AM

Does anyone know what needs to be done exactly to replace the wheel studs on a 95 dx hatch? Does the hub have to be removed? pressed? New wheel bearings?

If it's not too much trouble I'll just do it myself, but I was lead to believe the fronts are a lot harder. I just need to do the passenger side to my car.

thanks.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just buy a complete front brake swap, lol, gives you a reason to get it done
Old 07-24-2003, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Wheel stud replacment. $$$ ? (RSZero1)

That's way outta my price range right now. I need the front and back done on one side of my car so it'd be both.... I could see doing a rear conversion, but right now I want to keep the front how it is.

anyone else?
Old 07-24-2003, 11:03 AM
clm
Honda-Tech Member

Unless you have a grinder, it'd probably be easier to take it to a shop; unless you want to take the hub off.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Wheel stud replacment. $$$ ? (clm)

yeah, I DON'T want to take the hub off... too much of a pain in the *** IMO. Maybe if I had access to better tools and such... a lift would be nice.

I do have a grinder though... how does that help this situation?!?
Old 07-24-2003, 01:09 PM

to replace the stud in the hub, you hafta take the hub off. i'm goin' through that right now. yet, if its stripped inside the hub, ya need to get a stud that is a bit bigger than what you'd normally get. for instance, if your sctual stud is .85, you wanna get a stud that is .851. that way it'll catch inside the hub. my 2cents. i'm broke now..
Old 07-24-2003, 07:42 PM
clm
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by one.EG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I do have a grinder though... how does that help this situation?!?</TD></TR></TABLE>

There's a lip around the end of the stud (the part that catches on the hub) and one side needs grinded of so the threads won't catch on the hub and screw things up. Kinda hard to explain - maybe someone else will jump in and give a better description.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:38 PM

hmmm.. a little confusing, but I think I know what you mean. Anyone have anything else to add?
Old 07-24-2003, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone got an estimate on a full job, replacement of all studs (4 lug)?!?!?!?
edit: only the labor, like lets say i have the extended wheel studs already...??
-Bryan-
Old 07-25-2003, 08:41 AM

Default Re: Wheel stud replacment. $$$ ? (EGStreetHtch)

Well, I called a local tire shop and they said it would be $35 per wheel, and then $3.50 per stud. They said they needed to get the studs from the dealership and that they also will need to look at my car first... it will be more if they have to replace the wheel bearings and such.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:55 AM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

it cost me about $10 to replace 2 front ones.
that was cause i ahd to buy 3 since i ruined one on accident.
it took about an hour though cause i had to drill out a crossthreaded stud/lug.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (v4lu3s)

Ok here is how you replace the front wheel studs without removing the hub, its very easy.
1) Remove the wheel, caliper, and brake rotor.
2) Now you will see the brake dust shield, try to remove teh 3 screws that hold it in, but If you cant like me, then find the narrow section (behind the caliper) and cut a 3/4" section out with a dremel or grinder.
3) Rotate the hub so that the broken wheel stud is lined up with your hole you cut, if its shorter than stock (because you cracked it off or something) you should be able to just pound it out. But if not, grind down a section of that "lip" on the back of the wheel stud so its flat and rotate that flat spot back so its against the hub and you should be able to pound it out no problem.
4) now take your new wheel stud and grind down a small section of that lip again so its flat (don't damage teh threads or the ridges near the lip, just grind it down so it almost touches them. Now just slide your new wheel stud in and pound it in, then get a couple washers and slide them on, then tighten with a lug nut to seat the wheel stud, once its all the way down, remove teh lug nut, and go on to your next wheel stud, your done!!
Old 07-25-2003, 11:10 AM

Default Re: (toolowsol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by toolowsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok here is how you replace the front wheel studs without removing the hub, its very easy.
2) Now you will see the brake dust shield, try to remove teh 3 screws that hold it in, but If you cant like me, then find the narrow section (behind the caliper) and cut a 3/4" section out with a dremel or grinder.
3) Rotate the hub so that the broken wheel stud is lined up with your hole you cut, if its shorter than stock (because you cracked it off or something) you should be able to just pound it out. But if not, grind down a section of that "lip" on the back of the wheel stud so its flat and rotate that flat spot back so its against the hub and you should be able to pound it out no problem.
4) now take your new wheel stud and grind down a small section of that lip again so its flat (don't damage teh threads or the ridges near the lip, just grind it down so it almost touches them. Now just slide your new wheel stud in and pound it in, then get a couple washers and slide them on, then tighten with a lug nut to seat the wheel stud, once its all the way down, remove teh lug nut, and go on to your next wheel stud, your done!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmm.. thanks for that little write up. I will do this for sure and save tons of money.

peaces.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anything i can do to help, I had 3 broken wheel studs and all the shops wanted about $150!! (both front wheels had a broken one) So i bought the studs at honda for $3 and did it myself for a grand total of $9. I just want to help people that are facing the same prob i was. If anybody has any other questions post up or email me.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (toolowsol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by toolowsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok here is how you replace the front wheel studs without removing the hub, its very easy.
4) now take your new wheel stud and grind down a small section of that lip again so its flat (don't damage teh threads or the ridges near the lip, just grind it down so it almost touches them. Now just slide your new wheel stud in and pound it in, then get a couple washers and slide them on, then tighten with a lug nut to seat the wheel stud, once its all the way down, remove teh lug nut, and go on to your next wheel stud, your done!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I did this not too long ago, after all 4 studs on my front left wheel broke, while I was doing 80mph on I95... It's pretty easy to do... Took me about 1 1/2 hours to do all 4 studs...