Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

WHATS wrong?? overheat

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHATS wrong?? overheat

ok... lets make this as short and sweet as possible. i had a water leakage problem that started up a couple months back. stuff just started blowing. starting with my heater valve, then a couple hoses, then my water pump, then my radiator. i have one by one replaced all these parts. in the process i have over heated alot keep this in mind. i keep losing about a half a tank of water every day ( driving normally) if i gun it a few times i will lose it all and over heat in one day. i decided it could be NOTHING but a leaking head gasket. so i broke my D16z6 open today and replaced my head gasket. there was NO visible warpage, cracks, nicks,..... EVERYTHING checkced out. so i did not get a resurfacing ( lets focus on the problem at hand tho haha). now i did notice that two of my bottom bolts on my intake manifold ( one next to the distributor and the one in the middle underside) were not even tightened all the way... like finger tight. besides these things.... visibly everything has been good. i do have check engine but its for my distributor ( CYP or w/e. one of the sensors in the distributor, code 9). i have a couple days before i put my intake manifold back on and hook everything back up due to a part in shipping ( broke my vtec oil press. switch) so any insight on this or ideas would be appreciated THANKS.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WHATS wrong?? overheat

just make sure ALL your hoses are clamped TIGHT, if you make sure you do that and the problem persists, then you can at least mark off you not tightening all the hoses properly. other than that since you replaced misc hoses with a rad. you should be good
Old 02-22-2011, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by frokido
there was NO visible warpage, cracks, nicks,..... EVERYTHING checkced out. so i did not get a resurfacing ( lets focus on the problem at hand tho haha).
I would have had the head resurfaced just to make sure, cheap insurance. Were any of the pistons washed clean from coolant? Also exhaust gases making it into your cooling system is most likely what is pushing your coolant out. Most of the time a warped head can't be seen at all.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ya i would have it milled anyways, like orange said, u cant see the warped head unless its really screwed up and putting an uneven head on can cause lots'o problems
Old 02-23-2011, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was thinking that i would not be able to see a minor warpage in the head. if everything goes bad i will be looking for a build d16 head so anyone want to make a offer on one shoot me a message.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think that you need more troubleshooting.

I would check the thermostat. You can take it out and put it in a pot of water with a thermometer. Note the temperatures at which it starts to open up, and the temperature at which it is fully open. Based on your overheating, I would suspect this. Also, it's a cheap part, and this troubleshooting step is relatively easy - especially with the intake already removed.

However, if the head gasket was indeed the culprit, combustion gas could have been getting into the cooling system, increasing temp and pressure until coolant/steam started leaking. I would interpret the loose head bolts as a sign that the head was indeed warped. When you had the head off, you should have taken a straightedge and used feeler gauges to detect any warpage. I think that prophylactic milling of the head is a waste of money - it's not hard to check the head for warpage.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:49 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Should've gotten the block and head trued.