Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

what's this noise...? seriously... what the hell is this noise?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 06:53 PM
david

Default what's this noise...? seriously... what the hell is this noise?

first of al:

i have to grease the throwout bearing (makes noise)
no play in my input shaft bearing when i bought it from hmotorsonline.

so these are not the noises i'm diagnosing...? i think

i've been hearing this when my clutch is engaged it makes a hissing,whistling, kind of electric whirling. i doubt it's the throwout or the input shaft. here's what i did when i heard the noise:

i put it in gear, drive, and then disengaged the clutch but didn't shift out of gear. that noise was only present when my car was in gear. it's loud through first and second gear. 3rd+ nothing or really soft. i'm not even sure if it makes that noise because my freaking exhaust is a bit loud.

by the way, it makes a different noise than when i have it in neutral and the clutch is engaged.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:05 PM
david

Default Re: what's this noise...? seriously... what the hell is this noise? (david)

some suggestions...somewhere to start.... ?
Old 11-06-2005, 09:13 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: what's this noise...? seriously... what the hell is this noise? (david)

I would start by pulling the tranny. I know you think its not the internals of the tranny but I think it is. If your motor was making that kind of noise you would notice bigger things. The fact you only notice the differcne is when you dealing directly with the tranny makes me again think there is something there.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thinking the throwout bearing
Old 11-07-2005, 07:52 AM
david

Default Re: (civic_driver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turner7205 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would start by pulling the tranny. I know you think its not the internals of the tranny but I think it is. If your motor was making that kind of noise you would notice bigger things. The fact you only notice the differcne is when you dealing directly with the tranny makes me again think there is something there. </TD></TR></TABLE>

it drives perfectly fine... no grinds, pops, nothing. i'm gutted so i hear everything. and there is a hole where my shifter is because it was an automatic before the conversion.

some mechanic told me if it was my input shaft bearing, you would be able to grab it and move it around a bit. he said maybe the rear differential?
Old 11-07-2005, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (david)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by david &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

some mechanic told me if it was my input shaft bearing, you would be able to grab it and move it around a bit. he said maybe the rear differential?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I really don't think it's the rear diff on a front drive car. It could be either the throw out bearing or the clutch itself. How many miles since your last clutch replacement?
Old 11-07-2005, 08:01 AM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Ok the next question is, when did you have the tranny out last?? I have heard the ISB can go out in a hurry, but when its on the way out the car will drive fine. It could still be the throwout bearing.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:11 AM
david

Default Re: (turner7205)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Specail Ed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I really don't think it's the rear diff on a front drive car. It could be either the throw out bearing or the clutch itself. How many miles since your last clutch replacement?</TD></TR></TABLE>

my clutch is new... lesser than 5k on that sucker. oem exedy replacement. the bearing is the same age.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turner7205 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok the next question is, when did you have the tranny out last?? I have heard the ISB can go out in a hurry, but when its on the way out the car will drive fine. It could still be the throwout bearing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by david &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i have to grease the throwout bearing (makes noise)
no play in my input shaft bearing when i bought it from hmotorsonline.

i've been hearing this when my clutch is engaged it makes a hissing,whistling, kind of electric whirling. i doubt it's the throwout or the input shaft. here's what i did when i heard the noise:

i put it in gear, drive, and then disengaged the clutch but didn't shift out of gear. that noise was only present when my car was in gear. it's loud through first and second gear. 3rd+ nothing or really soft.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 11-07-2005, 08:23 AM

Since your car is gutted and you have a hole by the shifter, I'm thinking maybe you are just hearing the gears in the transmission. Its pretty loud, but normally you dont hear it because a full interior and the material around the shifter muffle the sound.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:24 AM
david

Default Re: (515blue2kSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 515blue2kSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Since your car is gutted and you have a hole by the shifter, I'm thinking maybe you are just hearing the gears in the transmission. Its pretty loud, but normally you dont hear it because a full interior and the material around the shifter muffle the sound.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats' what i'm thinkin also. I hear/feel everything on that car. I’m think it’s the gears in motion. It sounds pretty natural to me. It’s not even a bearing noise… it’s more of an electrical charge/alternator noise, when you spin gears… kind of thing. It’s not a bearing noise, that’s I excluded it.