Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

whats a good spray on lubricant/oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 02:54 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default whats a good spray on lubricant/oil?

My buddys throwout bearing is making a crapload of noise, so we need something to lube it up with.
I was told wd40 really isnt good for this kind of thing, as its more of a degreaser/cleanser than a lubricant.

So what would be good to get?
it would be nice to have something that works good on other things also(might need to lube up my shifter too).

do they have like.. motor oil in spray form? I'd guess that that stuff would work good?

any input ?

TIA
Old 09-07-2003, 04:46 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: whats a good spray on lubricant/oil? (Tad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My buddys throwout bearing is making a crapload of noise, so we need something to lube it up with.
I was told wd40 really isnt good for this kind of thing, as its more of a degreaser/cleanser than a lubricant.

So what would be good to get?
it would be nice to have something that works good on other things also(might need to lube up my shifter too).

do they have like.. motor oil in spray form? I'd guess that that stuff would work good?

any input ?

TIA</TD></TR></TABLE>

Umm...if your throwout bearing is making a noise then you need to get a new one. Don't be cheap and try to lube it up. When I ripped my transmission apart, I found that only one of my bearings was making a faint clicking noise when you spun it, and this was causing my entire motor to make rumbling and clanking noises...if a bearing is not 100% silent, then you need to replace it. PERIOD

Also...there is this stuff that you can buy at pep/boys autozone called anti-seize lubricant or assembly lube...use that
Old 09-07-2003, 08:13 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

alright, i'll get that assembly lube.

and yeah, i'm not even 100% sure its the throwout bearing thats messed.. its just that his car makes a pinging sound when he engages his clutch, I was told before that this was probably the throwout bearing.

also its coming right from that throwout bearing area.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:50 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: (Tad)

it makes a noise when the clutch is depressed? or it makes a noise and then goes away when the clutch is depressed, is it a squeaking noise or a clanking noise...

if the noise is a chatter/clicking/clanking and it goes away when the clutch is depressed, he needs a new input shaft bearing

My Writeup on how to replace the input shaft bearing: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=596873

Have a ball
Old 09-07-2003, 10:46 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

aahhh its prolly the input shaft bearing then, haha.

oh well... i'll try to lube the ****, if not.. prolly just leave it till its ded, dont really want to tear apart a tranny just to fix a creak.

thanks a bunch tho