Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What is wrong with with my girlfriends

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is wrong with with my girlfriends civic

My girlfriend drove her 93 civic si home the other day and shortly after it wouldnt start. I checked the fuel pump and its fine. I checked the spark and its very very weak. My dad talked to his resident honda guy and he said it was probably the coil in the distributer...... What do you think??? and how hard is this to fix??
Old 10-02-2007, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What is wrong with with my girlfriends (dallas306)

i would go with that. the coil is very easy to change. crack open the dizzy cap and if your remotely mechanically inclined u could go from there. jus be sure to put the wires back in the same place.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What is wrong with with my girlfriends (dallas306)

it could also be the main relay they are a comon problem
Old 10-02-2007, 03:30 PM

Heres a link to repair the distributor http://www.angelfire.com/ca/Dr....html
Old 10-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What is wrong with with my girlfriends civic (dallas306)

check to see if u still have your ecu its probably not there sounds dumb but just check
Old 10-02-2007, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well the distributor is a common problem..

so is the main relay (like darkckark said)

BUTTTT, my friends car did this the other day and it turned out that his timing belt had jumped a little..

so if you check and/or replace the distributor and thats not the problem, it might be the timing belt.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:59 PM

Default Re: (Mixmasta)

I had a guy bring his car to me with that complant once, turned out his timingg belt broke. When was the last time she changed it?
Old 10-02-2007, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stock_honda_coupe)

i say coil...
Old 10-02-2007, 05:15 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (EJ8CIVIC)

It would make no sense that it would be a timing belt or main relay. It's almost definitely the coil. Change it.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It would make no sense that it would be a timing belt or main relay. It's almost definitely the coil. Change it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by darkclark &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it could also be the main relay they are a comon problem</TD></TR></TABLE>

Definitely not, the main relay controls fuel, not spark.

It's more than likely the coil.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:20 PM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

If the timing belt breaks, it won't start. So it could be the belt. Especially if its not been replaced for a long time.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stock_honda_coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If the timing belt breaks, it won't start. So it could be the belt. Especially if its not been replaced for a long time.</TD></TR></TABLE>\

Hondas run interference engines, if the timing belt snapped, you probably got a few more problems to worry about than just changing it.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">\

Hondas run interference engines, if the timing belt snapped, you probably got a few more problems to worry about than just changing it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
What are some of the common fixes due to interference?
Old 10-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hittnthebz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hittnthebz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
What are some of the common fixes due to interference?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You mean other than at least 2/4 pistons ***-raping your valves?

Not much.

EDIT:
All interference means is that the valves are in the same position as the piston - just at different times. Now obviously one can deduct that two metal objects cannot be in the exact same place at the exact same time - the timing belt controls that - the timing.

If your timing belt breaks the valves stay open while your pistons go to work on your valves like mohammad ali.

How high the RPM is when the timing belt snaps, how fast you kill the engine, etc. are all important on how much damage is done.

Non-interference engines like some of the big block chevys and some Toyota engines mean the valve when open all the way doesn't enter the area where the piston enters in TDC - so if the timing belt snaps - you replace it, and move on.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hittnthebz)

if its not the coil.. but it sounds like it is.. its probably the ignition control module in the dizzy...
Old 10-02-2007, 05:37 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">\

Hondas run interference engines, if the timing belt snapped, you probably got a few more problems to worry about than just changing it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I didn't say he could just change the belt and move on. People were mentioning common no start situations, And that is one of them.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stock_honda_coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I didn't say he could just change the belt and move on. People were mentioning common no start situations, And that is one of them. </TD></TR></TABLE>

O rly?

I'm not as smart as you, you wanna explain to me how the hell you get a dull spark when the timing belt's snapped unless you have a coil pack which no stock USDM '93 civic Si came with??

The cam isn't turning - the dizzy isn't turning...

@ OP:
It's the coil...not the timing belt...
Old 10-02-2007, 06:06 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I'm not as smart as you, you wanna explain to me how the hell you get a dull spark when the timing belt's snapped unless you have a coil pack which no stock USDM '93 civic Si came with??

The cam isn't turning - the dizzy isn't turning...

@ OP:
It's the coil...not the timing belt...</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahaha i was thumbing through this post haha good ****. Like Syndacate said if the timing belts snapped then there is going to be no spark.

I had a coil go bad on my civic last year. i cant remember the exact way of testing it but it was a fairly easy fix. Pop open the distributer change the coil, plug it back in the way you found it and call it a day. Honda's especially d-series seem to have some weak *** distributors or atleast some real touchy ones.

to the op - My vote is its the coil, Syndacate and Archidictus know their ****. Timing belt and main relay both dont really make sense in this situation.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:11 PM

Default Re: (dividedas1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dividedas1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

hahaha i was thumbing through this post haha good ****. Like Syndacate said if the timing belts snapped then there is going to be no spark.

I had a coil go bad on my civic last year. i cant remember the exact way of testing it but it was a fairly easy fix. Pop open the distributer change the coil, plug it back in the way you found it and call it a day. Honda's especially d-series seem to have some weak *** distributors or atleast some real touchy ones.

to the op - My vote is its the coil, Syndacate and Archidictus know their ****. Timing belt and main relay both dont really make sense in this situation.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My bad, I miss read or didn't read as well as I should've. I thought he had no spark. Now that I reread the first post what you guy are saying is making sense.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:20 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You mean other than at least 2/4 pistons ***-raping your valves?

Not much.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

sig!
Old 10-02-2007, 11:14 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (94c1v1cex)

coil here at local store
goes for 42.73$
good luck
Old 10-02-2007, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: (mustang5.slow)

before buying a coil test out someone else distributor
Old 10-03-2007, 08:13 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (speedooo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by speedooo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">before buying a coil test out someone else distributor</TD></TR></TABLE>
good one.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (loldohcvteclol)

melt a plastic spoon and stick it on the coil. quick fix
Old 10-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdm91CrxSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm91CrxSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">melt a plastic spoon and stick it on the coil. quick fix</TD></TR></TABLE>

wtf are you talkin about?

Quick Reply: What is wrong with with my girlfriends