Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What would I do without H-T? Saved $100!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would I do without H-T? Saved $100!

Maybe its just because I come from a forum community where barely anyone knows barely anything about thier cars (check out http://www.j-body.org For some chuckles) that I was so surprised at the knowledge here. You Guys Rule

The story started yesterday, when I went out to mycar the first time and turned the key, and NOTHING happened...

So my first though was my new Hawker Deep Cycle battery(11.5 lbs ) died in the night, I was understandably perplexed by this, as it was brand new. Luckily I ordered a pair, so i went in the house grapped the 2nd not yet used battery hooked it up, same thing... So I stuck my electric charger/starter on the battery in the car cranked it to the 30amp starting charge...still nothing. since the radio, fuel pump and lights all worked on the battery that was not the problem.

So Next my attention turnedto the starter. I grabbed a hammer, and gave the starter a couple taps, still nothing. couple more...nothing. By now I was getting frustrated as I had somewhere to be...so I jumped in the car, let go of the E-Brake and let it roll down my inclineddriveway, and popped it to start it. It ran fine.

Must be a bad starter...OK, ill fix it tommorrow. Cameback here later that night, looking to see if the starter was a common problem on the D16's (im new here ) and if i could fix it by using a better starter or something. Found a good thread that sounded exactly like my problem...

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=607420

Hmmm...Hotwiring sounds like it would be a good idea to see if the starter is just not getting power...Went to the garage, and fired the car right up...odd...

So i sat down, pressed the clutch...nothing...

That prompted me to go grab my Shop manual and look at the starter circuit to find where power might be getting cut between the Battery, and signal wire...Two Fuses, Two switches...Thats four potential problems. I found one umarked blown fuse in the main engine bay box (previous owner removed box map?) replaced it...nothing...all the other fuses in the car were good. So it has to be one of the switches. This consisted of laying on my back over the seat and under the dash...Im 6'2 this was not comfortable. I found the clutch switch, pressed it. turned the key, and fired the engine right up...after trying to adjust the switch, the pedal, and everything in between I finally just bypassed it and cured the problem.

Until I can take out the dash, and pedal assembly to properly adjust everything, it was just too cramped to work. So for now I dont need to press the clutch to start the car, ill jus have to be careful that its not in gear. And to think I was ready to go buy a new starter in the morning essentially wasting $100 and I wold have still had the same problem. Im used to finding "how much faster will spark plugs make me?" threads then useful info...Kudos to you. Just a small example of how much help this place offers.

keep up the work.

In other news I wll probably be ordering my H22 swap, DSS Stage 1 axles and Direct port kit within the next 2-3 weeks
Old 09-14-2003, 08:41 PM
HAnda-Tech Member

Default Re: What would I do without H-T? Saved $100! (94SiHatch)

yes, i love honda tech also...nice story there
Old 09-14-2003, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was a previous member of hondahookup. The forum is good for n00bs asking, "will a gsr swap fit my car" and stupid things along those lines. Another thing i didnt like was that everyone flamed and bashed each other to get i higher post count.

here at H-T its different. Most of the time all i do is read and learn new, more complex things.

So to me for actually coming to my senses.

H-T
Old 09-14-2003, 09:00 PM
HAnda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EGEESIX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGEESIX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was a previous member of hondahookup. The forum is good for n00bs asking, "will a gsr swap fit my car" and stupid things along those lines. Another thing i didnt like was that everyone flamed and bashed each other to get i higher post count.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

HA!

areyou kidding me?!

honda-tech.com DOES have good tech, but they are so the most known form to flame and insult noobs EVER that ive known...
Old 09-14-2003, 09:19 PM
Down Since Day 1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HT owns the planet, good story.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem is that ppl assume, if someone has a low post count theyre n00bs and dont know anything, when in fact it may go two ways.

1- They probably dont even own a car and just ask stupid questions cuz they dont know

-or-

2- Maybe the person is a head mechanic and knows more than everyone here about Hondas but never got a chance to sign up.

So sometimes i know ppl are quick to judge by the numbers
&lt;~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ right there
Old 09-15-2003, 10:15 AM
HAnda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EGEESIX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGEESIX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The problem is that ppl assume, if someone has a low post count theyre n00bs and dont know anything, when in fact it may go two ways.

1- They probably dont even own a car and just ask stupid questions cuz they dont know

-or-

2- Maybe the person is a head mechanic and knows more than everyone here about Hondas but never got a chance to sign up.

So sometimes i know ppl are quick to judge by the numbers
&lt;~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ right there</TD></TR></TABLE>

they also judge by the number of DAYs on the account, what if someone that works for honda and engineers engines signs up, then maybe directly call him a noob when he practically knows everything about honda...
Old 09-15-2003, 02:12 PM

Default Re: What would I do without H-T? Saved $100! (94SiHatch)

Thats cool

Hehe you could just say that its jdm. Cuz my eg6 didnt require the clutch pedal to be pushed down to start it.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:40 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: What would I do without H-T? Saved $100! (nosepkr)

sounds like you did all on your own to begin with...kudos to you
Old 09-15-2003, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What would I do without H-T? Saved $100! (Emerika)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Emerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds like you did all on your own to begin with...kudos to you </TD></TR></TABLE>

No joke! Gotta love the effort!! You will make a great addition to the HT community!

Edit: As your special "fee" for HT helping you out...send me that second battery you have lying around

Modified by Ricey McRicerton at 1:58 AM 9/16/2003
Old 09-15-2003, 03:30 PM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: What would I do without H-T? Saved $100! (nosepkr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nosepkr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thats cool

Hehe you could just say that its jdm. Cuz my eg6 didnt require the clutch pedal to be pushed down to start it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Heh, neither does my DC2

The clutch bypass is like a momentary switch (looks like a NOS hand-held unit with a thumb push button), and closes the circuit when the clutch is pressed in. You can easily bypass it by cutting the wires to it and putting them together, thus completing the circuit. Of course most people will say "make sure you don't leave your car in gear" which is true, but I'm already used to turning the car off in neutral for my turbo timer .