Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What Steering Column Do I have?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Steering Column Do I have?!

So I recently purchased my steering wheel setup (NRG Shorthub, QR & Wheel) for my EK. Well upon installation I discovered that the Shorthub (Part#130 AP1/BB/EK Compatible) doesn't fit on the splines of my column in my car. So my question is...

Is there some sort of markings or anything to help me identify what column I do have in my car?..

I did snap a couple of pix...

thanks in advance for the help guys, hopefully someones got some answers for me i'm dying to put my wheel on...
Old 08-30-2009, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What Steering Column Do I have?!

bump
Old 08-31-2009, 01:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you should take a picture of your old steering wheel. and we can figure it out from there.
im guessing the short hub that you have perhaps was in the wrong box. and is for a eg/dc
Old 08-31-2009, 01:57 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

S04 means it's a '96-'00 Civic (S01, S02, S03 and S04 are all '96-'00 Civic, but can occasionally be found on similar models). But that's only on the combo switch.

The number of splines might help. There could possibly be identifying marks on the column itself too.

I went through this a few years ago when my car was stolen and I was sold the wrong column. Mine looks a lot like a '96-'00 Civic column, has the same number of splines even, but it's a tiny bit longer (like millimeters) than the one I needed. I still have the other column and have no idea what to do with it.

The good news is, it's easy to remove the column. There's one bolt on the bottom holding a clamp on (make sure you keep the bolt facing the right way when it goes back in) and then there should be a few up higher on the column on a bracket holding to the car.

There should also be some wiring. Basically unplug everything on the column.

All from memory, but that was some time ago.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by john666
you should take a picture of your old steering wheel. and we can figure it out from there.
im guessing the short hub that you have perhaps was in the wrong box. and is for a eg/dc
yah thats what i thought at first but the short hub is in fact stamped 130 which is the part number for ek hubs, but yah here's a pic of the oem wheel i have on there now...

Originally Posted by NOFX
S04 means it's a '96-'00 Civic (S01, S02, S03 and S04 are all '96-'00 Civic, but can occasionally be found on similar models). But that's only on the combo switch.

The number of splines might help. There could possibly be identifying marks on the column itself too.

I went through this a few years ago when my car was stolen and I was sold the wrong column. Mine looks a lot like a '96-'00 Civic column, has the same number of splines even, but it's a tiny bit longer (like millimeters) than the one I needed. I still have the other column and have no idea what to do with it.

The good news is, it's easy to remove the column. There's one bolt on the bottom holding a clamp on (make sure you keep the bolt facing the right way when it goes back in) and then there should be a few up higher on the column on a bracket holding to the car.

There should also be some wiring. Basically unplug everything on the column.

All from memory, but that was some time ago.
amy right? damn you and jason are just the most knowledgable jason honda people on the board. I ran into your thread about your column back in 07 when you had your problem... I have no idea whats going on with the column when i put the hub on the splines look a tad bit smaller than the opening on the whole but it looks like it should fit but doesn't.

i dunno what to do! maybe i'll look to do a column swap for the correct one...
Old 08-31-2009, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump!
Old 09-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump