Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What to replace.... cap & rotor or only ignitor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to replace.... cap & rotor or only ignitor?

Well my car has been acting funny. My tach JUMPS up and down ever 5-10secs.
I have MSD 6AL & blaster2 coil.

My car starts everytime just fine!
It has never idled down and die on me yet.
It does sometime loose power & hesitate while driving normally

Do I ONLY need to replace just the cap & rotor? .... since I'm able to start the car all the time it must mean that my ignitor is still strong and good... RIGHT?

how do I know if my rotor is bad/worn out?.....

Old 03-17-2004, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What to replace.... cap & rotor or only ignitor? (ApexiChild)

look at it, should be able to see the condition of the cap/rotor, the points will be warn a bit and the brush on the rotor will look **** poor. i think for the cost i would just replace them first before you buy an ignitor cuz they can get expensive for certain cars. but your symptoms do sound like what happened when my ignitor went on my old motor.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What to replace.... cap & rotor or only ignitor? (jameskersten1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jameskersten1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">look at it, should be able to see the condition of the cap/rotor, the points will be warn a bit and the brush on the rotor will look **** poor. i think for the cost i would just replace them first before you buy an ignitor cuz they can get expensive for certain cars. but your symptoms do sound like what happened when my ignitor went on my old motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks.
would it be more cost effective just to get a NEW distributor or simply replacing the ignitor, MSD cap and rotor?

I looked inside my MSD cap today and I saw that it was lightly speckled with small green SPOTS.... I think they are corrosion. Would it be find if I just sanded them down a little? should would like new right?
Old 03-18-2004, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: What to replace.... cap & rotor or only ignitor? (ApexiChild)

If your tach is jumping around, more than likely your ignitor module is on its way out. Don't bother getting a new dizzy, thats not too cost effective at all (~$250). It seems there is a trend relating premature wear of the ICM/cap/rotor/plugs to the use of the MSD box and coil.

Just my .02c, but unless your making some power (&gt;300), the stock ignition system is quite capabale as is.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What to replace.... cap & rotor or only ignitor? (EE_Chris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If your tach is jumping around, more than likely your ignitor module is on its way out. Don't bother getting a new dizzy, thats not too cost effective at all (~$250). It seems there is a trend relating premature wear of the ICM/cap/rotor/plugs to the use of the MSD box and coil.

Just my .02c, but unless your making some power (&gt;300), the stock ignition system is quite capabale as is.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so the "TACH jumping needel" symptoms are directly realated to the IGNITOR not the cap and rotor then correct?

hum... I'm having the same freaken issue....

Well how do you know when the cap or ROTOR is bad?... are there different symptoms?