Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What Parts Are Needed To Put GSR Motor Into 1998 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Parts Are Needed To Put GSR Motor Into 1998 Civic

I'm planning a motor swap this winter since I'll have some extra money and I've been wanting to go B-series for the year that I've owned my car and now that I did the 99-00 front end conversion I'm thinking it's time I finally start putting some work into my stock Civic and give it a little bit of power. My car is currently an automatic so I'll also be having an auto to manual swap done at the same time. I want to do the swap myself but I know I don't have the means to do it where I live and technically in our lease you're not supposed to work on your car in the driveway (I live in an apartment complex) so some ******* would end up calling the housing people on me and I'd get in trouble. Because of that I'm having it done at a local shop that's fairly close to me that specializes in Honda's. Apparently they are the premier shop to go to for Honda's in my area and they also had the best price compared to all of the other shops (about $600 for the install, I forgot to tell him about the auto to manual so it'll actually be a little more). One shop in my area quoted $2000 to do a mini me swap so I knew there was no way I was going there.

Anyway I plan on getting my motor from hmotorsonline and they told me they can give me a complete 1998 GSR motor swap for about $3000 shipped to my door. As long as everything works out right I should be ordering the motor at the end of the month.

Here's where my question comes in. I've been doing tons of researching trying to find a good guide that lists everything needed for the swap but I can't find one. Here's the parts the engine comes with and the parts I know I need so can anyone else add to that list any other parts I would need to buy to complete the swap? I added some of the parts needed for the auto to manual conversion (they're in red) but I'm not sure what else I would need for that so if someone could make me a list of what's needed for that it'd be greatly appreciated.

Here's what comes with the engine or I know I already need. The stuff in blue is what comes with the motor from hmotorsonline...

- Motor
- Hydraulic Tranny (S80, Y80) - I'm thinking of getting the LSD since I eventually want to go turbo
- ECU (P72)
- Axles with Half Shaft
- Shift Linkage
- Stock Motor Mounts - I'll probably by the Hasport ones again because I want to eventually turbo it and I'd rather have stronger ones already plus it's easier to replace them when the motors out then to pull it out again just to put in new motor mounts.
- Alternator
- Starter
- Clutch
- Flywheel
- Intake Manifold
- Exhaust Manifold
- Fuel Rail
- Injectors
- Distributor
- Engine Harness
- Comes With All Sensors Needed

- T bracket motor mount
- Header - probably go with an ITR header or an aftermarket one
- Exhaust - haven't decided on what one yet, welcome to recommendations
- Throttle cable
- Manual foot pedals
- Manual shifter

I'll probably replace the gaskets and stuff like that just to be safe and I want to put the red ITR valve cover on for looks but is there anything else besides what's listed there that I need to put a 1998 JDM GSR motor into my 1998 Civic DX?

Also if someone could list what's needed for the auto to manual conversion too that would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by mbish23; 10-24-2010 at 04:25 PM.