Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What to look for when buying a EG civic (92-95)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Off the Florida Keys, in a place called Kokomo, USA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for when buying a EG civic (92-95)

im looking for EG 1992-1995 honda civic hatchbacks in Si trim..
what are some stuff to look out for in that car, or like common problems (i.e. honda rust on quarter panels)?
like this car im looking at has torn CV boots. its not much to repair, but how would i check if the CV joints are messed?
what other problems should i look out for (for that year or whatnot)?
thanks in advance
Old 03-03-2006, 07:41 AM

Default Re: What to look for when buying a EG civic (drift_n_shift)

Id drive it, crank the wheel and liusten for clinks or clacks from the front wheels. You should just replace the whole axle instead of the boot, easier and you'll get a warranty.

2nd and 3rd gear grinds. <-- fairly comon.

interrior rattles, check around the inside panels make sure 90% of the screws are in. Most people dont look at this, but its a good indicator if any repairs/upgrades/downgrades are made inside of the cabin. <-- seems stupid but you'd be surprised.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:58 AM

I tooo am interested in what you guys have to say about this. I am also looking at 92-95 hatches. Not si though. I am sure there has to be some thread on this already, if I can find one I will post it up.

-well I searched briefly (at work right now) and i could not find any useful threads. So lets hear what you all ahve to say. I know there are gurus on this board that can help us out!
Old 03-03-2006, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (alpineracer)

I have just a few things i've run into on my cars, just as stated the honda rust on the rear quarters. The dash lights on climate control go off and on, if you plan to mod the car alot of times the bolts on the rear lower control arm that bolts on the shocks often get rusted and make replacing shocks or springs a royal pain in the ***. also like the other guy said check for all screws and bolts troughout the entire interior, look right behind the b pillar at the lower plastic panel sometimes people crack those when they take them off and it creates a very annoying rattle. also on the si's look at the oh **** handles the ends break off. On the 94 and 95 hatches i've noticed the hydraulic filled drivers side motor mount breaks and its a quite pricy mount to replace, usually the lower front motor mounts tear.....i'll post more as i remember them
Old 03-03-2006, 10:16 AM

Default Re: (IPB Racing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IPB Racing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have just a few things i've run into on my cars, just as stated the honda rust on the rear quarters. The dash lights on climate control go off and on, if you plan to mod the car alot of times the bolts on the rear lower control arm that bolts on the shocks often get rusted and make replacing shocks or springs a royal pain in the ***. also like the other guy said check for all screws and bolts troughout the entire interior, look right behind the b pillar at the lower plastic panel sometimes people crack those when they take them off and it creates a very annoying rattle. also on the si's look at the oh **** handles the ends break off. On the 94 and 95 hatches i've noticed the hydraulic filled drivers side motor mount breaks and its a quite pricy mount to replace, usually the lower front motor mounts tear.....i'll post more as i remember them</TD></TR></TABLE>

^^ Fergot bout the climate lights, mine are out.. The rear bolts also, mine were fucked so I had to get new trailing arms.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What to look for when buying a EG civic (drift_n_shift)

Also, be sure to check out the moonroof's functionality. It's not a major performance thing, but it can scratch up the roof if it doesn't work right.

Take it somewhere and have them check the frame to see if its straight.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:24 PM
lulz

Default Re: What to look for when buying a EG civic (EG6_GUY)

well ill fill yall in on my experience i bought my si for $700 and there was the honda rust,bad tranny and clutch,bad alternator,and the climate control doesnt light up(usually from installing an aftermarket H/U). but all in all its a great car D16Z6 and i just put some bolts on and its quick i guess for what it is. so total ive put about as much into the car as i paid for it(with aftermarket goodies)
Old 03-03-2006, 02:27 PM
jbs
Honda-Tech Member

Check the trunk/hatch for signs of water. Cork board underneath the carpet should help with that and check around the spare tire. EGs are notorious for having water leaks throught the tail lights may be a sign it has been hit. 2 out of 3 5Gs I've have/had had this problem.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:08 PM
EckoTech

Default Re: (jbs)

Also, the driver side turning signal goes out a lot. I've had two hatches and they both had the same issue, its pretty annoying sometimes but if you don't use your turning signals, its no biggie. All you need to do is wiggle the wire around till it works again, and just re-tape it so it stays in that position.

climate control lights are a biggie, as well as the rust.

also, the stupid little spring in the cupholder always gets stuck, really annoying, but the only thing you can fit in those cupholders are lousy soda cans. Maybe in japan they don't have SUPERSIZED 5 gallon cups, perhaps this is why they are skinny....

But yeah also check water leak in the back, one of my hatches is starting to do that with the rain, and it gets everything pretty nasty in there. good luck!
Old 03-03-2006, 03:52 PM

jack up the car... check each wheel... make sure it doesnt move back and fourth aka wiggle, check oil pan for leakes... little leaks, see if the bolt is not glue shut do to pass leaks. check the rack a pinion make sure is still good, turn it ... hear for clicking or cracking noise... its all by the feel really. good luck