Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What to look for in purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for in purchase?

Hello fellow enthusiast. I am in search of a gen 5 or a gen 6 civic(i understand i put this under the gen 6 but decided to not make 2 threads) to purchase for a fuel economy daily driver in a couple months.

I did a search on this gen section and came up with nothing,all i found was what to look for when purchasing a used vehicle "general things" . But what im looking for,is what problems may i need to keep a eye out for in certain years while looking at vehicles..in example "1996 civics had head gasket issues,leaking rear window,trunk sealing issues,etc"

Anyone have a link that may help me in this? Something that maybe covers both manual and automatic transmissions?(dont know which one i will go with yet,but im sure a certain year has a weaker transmission then the others,etc)

Thanks for any info.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:53 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What to look for in purchase?

https://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-d...tions-1998336/
Old 12-26-2014, 01:59 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...20used%20civic
Old 12-26-2014, 02:00 PM
The Grumpiest

https://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-d...civic-3055042/
Old 12-26-2014, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just to mention the 97 autos had trans issues as they were outsourced that year but I'm sure u will be looking stick for fuel economy.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:36 PM
The Grumpiest

Automatics for this generation as a rule were an issue in and of themselves.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
I believe they were outsourcing them to Mitsubishi in 97 and even 01 but I wouldn't touch anything other than a manual 92-00
Old 12-26-2014, 03:53 PM
The Grumpiest

Agreed.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:59 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your looking to purchase a 15-20yr old car. Youll have alot of maintenance to do regardless.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EsotericImage
Your looking to purchase a 15-20yr old car. Youll have alot of maintenance to do regardless.
Number 1- timing belt/all fluids
Old 12-27-2014, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ek9_beast
Number 1- timing belt/all fluids
Yea i planned on that,depending on mileage i will probably install a new starter and battery/alt while im at it along with fuel filter. Would hate to get stranded somewhere.

Originally Posted by EsotericImage
Yea i planned on spending $1000 on top of the purchase price of the car for maintenance items,fluids,starter,battery,brakes,etc.

Just to mention the 97 autos had trans issues as they were outsourced that year but I'm sure u will be looking stick for fuel economy.
Awesome thanks,thats what i want to hear.

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Awesome thanks, ill keep it in mind.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks. It seems like all d series equipped cars could have a whining noise due to a bearing in the manual transmission? Would that be something to stay away from (aka something going out) or is that common and shouldnt keep me from purchasing a car?

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2014, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The civic from 92-00 is arguably the best civic for economy and lasting into the 300k mark. I've owned a total of 7. All were from 96-00 except one 95. They are amazing cars. Get out there and find one completely in stock form. Too low of miles can be just as bad as high miles as a sitting car breaks down especially everything rubber and we all know all seals and suspension parts have rubber somewhere. Every time I look it takes me looking at about an average of ten cars of not more before I find the one because there's soooo much junk out there when dealing with neglected vehicles. Try to buy from an original owner who truly knows the car and u know the right questions to ask while you're staring then in the face, not over the phone. I promise you there are tons of 92-00 civics still with 150k-200k reliable miles left in them you just gotta sift through a bunch of junkers to find your diamond in the rough. I have had great experiences will 6 of the 7 civics as the 97s trans went out at a meadily 126k. It was an auto and the only auto I bought so that tells u alot about autos of those generations. Lastly, get that maintenance and don't expect perfection out of cars of this age but an extra $500 in civics this old will be a noticeably great value dollar to car. I always pay to have the inspection done b4 i buy. Its cheap insurance if u really want the car. Once you find it, I promise you will love the car and the cheap maintenance that comes as a plus. Good luck buddy. You will find the rite one if you take your time

Last edited by ek9_beast; 12-27-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:44 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Automatics of the 92-95 era was the solid automatic. it's the 96-00 they went to ****.

The ISB on the manuals isn't actually all the difficult if you get yourself a helms manual. Up here in BC Canada, the ISB seal, the ISB itself and two axel seals cost me about 90 bucks and then it was about 2 hours for my novice hands and make shift tools to swap everything out and get the case back together. Been driving on the tranny for over a year and still haven't blown a thing nor does it have a single leak. The previous owner of the tranny raced on it a lot thus the bad ISB.

The CDM CX/DX manual transmissions are a dime a dozen. 100 bucks typically. It's the SI that everyone wants 250 or more for usually. The difference being final drive for gear ratios and bigger bearings. The USDM CX is a bit taller in gearing than the USDM DX. Better fuel economy but slower take off and get up to speeds. The USDM CX is like the CDM VX in the 92-95. So basically the USDM DX=CDM CX/DX while the USDM CX is even taller and equals the CDM VX. I think the USDM EX equals the CDM EX, don't really remember off hand, and I think that may be true for the SI of the two countries for the 92-95 era manuals transmissions.

96-00 manuals switched to steal shift forks and the CX and DX were the same ratios. EX and SI were the more performance related transmissions with the SI being the best ratios for getting up to speed.

So, no, I don't personally count the ISB as a deal breaker, just maybe knock a couple of hundred off the price. Might as well do the clutch when you have the tranny down for an ISB replacement.

I personally like the 92-95 as they are OBD1 and are legal to modify/chip in most states and provinces. Can't legally change an OBD2 (96-00) to OBD1 for tuning in most places as far as I am aware. And OBD2 ECU are not programmable.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually becoming a pretty decent guide to buying civics of this era whether it be for performance or daily driving. Especially since a lot of us buy a car as a daily driver and after a few years, well we end up here asking forced induction questions. Haha
Old 12-28-2014, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
Automatics of the 92-95 era was the solid automatic. it's the 96-00 they went to ****.

The ISB on the manuals isn't actually all the difficult if you get yourself a helms manual. Up here in BC Canada, the ISB seal, the ISB itself and two axel seals cost me about 90 bucks and then it was about 2 hours for my novice hands and make shift tools to swap everything out and get the case back together. Been driving on the tranny for over a year and still haven't blown a thing nor does it have a single leak. The previous owner of the tranny raced on it a lot thus the bad ISB.

The CDM CX/DX manual transmissions are a dime a dozen. 100 bucks typically. It's the SI that everyone wants 250 or more for usually. The difference being final drive for gear ratios and bigger bearings. The USDM CX is a bit taller in gearing than the USDM DX. Better fuel economy but slower take off and get up to speeds. The USDM CX is like the CDM VX in the 92-95. So basically the USDM DX=CDM CX/DX while the USDM CX is even taller and equals the CDM VX. I think the USDM EX equals the CDM EX, don't really remember off hand, and I think that may be true for the SI of the two countries for the 92-95 era manuals transmissions.

96-00 manuals switched to steal shift forks and the CX and DX were the same ratios. EX and SI were the more performance related transmissions with the SI being the best ratios for getting up to speed.

So, no, I don't personally count the ISB as a deal breaker, just maybe knock a couple of hundred off the price. Might as well do the clutch when you have the tranny down for an ISB replacement.

I personally like the 92-95 as they are OBD1 and are legal to modify/chip in most states and provinces. Can't legally change an OBD2 (96-00) to OBD1 for tuning in most places as far as I am aware. And OBD2 ECU are not programmable.
Awesome,so if i get a USDM DX or EX can i install a Cx transmission in them? Assuming its the exact same series of motor.

Actually becoming a pretty decent guide to buying civics of this era whether it be for performance or daily driving. Especially since a lot of us buy a car as a daily driver and after a few years, well we end up here asking forced induction questions. Haha
Lol, i have 2 money pits as it is,dont need a 3rd. Basically while my current daily driver is under the knife for needed improvements,etc i can use the civic as a daily. Or here in missouri they like to cover the roads in 10 trillion pounds of salt and chemical in the winter time,so instead of driving my vehicle that looks almost new in the salty crap,save rust wear and tear and use my future civic(a little rough is fine) that some teenager or elderly person has been doing for years in the salty crap.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by svt2445
Awesome,so if i get a USDM DX or EX can i install a Cx transmission in them? Assuming its the exact same series of motor.

Lol, i have 2 money pits as it is,dont need a 3rd. Basically while my current daily driver is under the knife for needed improvements,etc i can use the civic as a daily. Or here in missouri they like to cover the roads in 10 trillion pounds of salt and chemical in the winter time,so instead of driving my vehicle that looks almost new in the salty crap,save rust wear and tear and use my future civic(a little rough is fine) that some teenager or elderly person has been doing for years in the salty crap.
To buy the dx to put a cx trans in would be pointless as they both have the same motor so I'd just get the cx from the beginning.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To buy the dx to put a cx trans in would be pointless as they both have the same motor so I'd just get the cx from the beginning.
Gotcha alright thanks!
Old 12-28-2014, 07:36 PM
Hysterically Calm

That's incorrect, the USDM DX has the D15B7 16 valve non vtec motor, the USDM CX has the D15B8 12 valve non vtec motor while the EX should have the D16Z6 vtec motor if it's the 92-95 era.

And yes, if they are stock, the the D series manual trannies all swap with ease.

It was the 96-00 that the DX and CX shared the same motor in the US Domestic Market I believe.

You could easily get yourself a 92-95 EX Standard and drop a USDM CX tranny in. Will kill your performance but up your highway mpg significantly.

If you do more city driving the shorter gearing of the EX may benefit you more.

Of note, the D15B8 motor is Honda's second most efficient fuel economy motor only to be beaten with the lean burn of the VX (D15Z1) at the time. It only has around 70 HP if I recall while the D15B7 has 102 HP. The Z6 is 120 HP range if I recall and has the best block of the SOHC engines of the 92-00 era.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's incorrect, the USDM DX has the D15B7 16 valve non vtec motor, the USDM CX has the D15B8 12 valve non vtec motor while the EX should have the D16Z6 vtec motor if it's the 92-95 era.

And yes, if they are stock, the the D series manual trannies all swap with ease.

It was the 96-00 that the DX and CX shared the same motor in the US Domestic Market I believe.

You could easily get yourself a 92-95 EX Standard and drop a USDM CX tranny in. Will kill your performance but up your highway mpg significantly.

If you do more city driving the shorter gearing of the EX may benefit you more.

Of note, the D15B8 motor is Honda's second most efficient fuel economy motor only to be beaten with the lean burn of the VX (D15Z1) at the time. It only has around 70 HP if I recall while the D15B7 has 102 HP. The Z6 is 120 HP range if I recall and has the best block of the SOHC engines of the 92-00 era.
I was referring to the 96-00 as that's the only civic I've personally owned/honestly look into. I should have noted that.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:11 PM
Hysterically Calm

I was referring to the 96-00 as that's the only civic I've personally owned/honestly look into. I should have noted that.
No worries, probably should also be noted that the 96-00 DX and CX manual transmissions are the same gearing if I recall, it was only in the 92-95 era that there was a difference in ratios in the USDM. CDM the CX and DX share the same ratio transmissions. You have to find a VX in CDM if you want the taller gearing.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No worries, probably should also be noted that the 96-00 DX and CX manual transmissions are the same gearing if I recall, it was only in the 92-95 era that there was a difference in ratios in the USDM. CDM the CX and DX share the same ratio transmissions. You have to find a VX in CDM if you want the taller gearing.
I read that a HX? shares the same gearing as a VX which is 3.722. Only thing is its almost impossible to find either a VX or HX. Atleast around here. So wouldnt it be comparable to the VX in fuel economy? I just want 38+mpg out of a civic to make it worth purchasing.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:37 AM
Hysterically Calm

I'm not as versed on the 6th gen as the 5th gen so am not sure on the HX gearing.

If you are in the states any CX transmission will be the same, it's when you get to Canada they are a rare bread.

I wouldn't be surprised if the HX is the same as it was the 6th gen "lean burn" if I recall.

I have the USDM DX eqivalent and I am averaging 33 MPG with the DX tranny and D15B7 motor (burning oil like no tomorrow). That's mixed city and country driving not a lot of highway and that is my average.

To get 38+ you will really need to get either a VX/HX or a USDM CX full car to hope to be in that range. Much less power for a few extra mpg.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A usdm cx is perfect for what you're looking for. Around me, they're easily attainable, your area no clue but look into it.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you may find issues on any civic no matter what. it is a 15 or 20 year old car like someone mentioned before, so there will be maintenance to be done. If you can get maintenance records that'll be great. it will tell you whether the previous owner took care of it or not. if not, I would look for things like any fluid leaks, the engine wiring is intact, and that everytihing works properly, like A/C, rear defrost, power locks, or everything electrical. most issues like leaks and the f15 short are things has been covered already and you can find it online easily just by googling it, but a wacked wiring harness can cost you a lot of money to repair if you pay a mechanic shop to do it.
Another thing I check for when buying a car is the tires. a new set of tires can cost you $300 and up plus mounting and balancing charged. also look for rust. you don't want a rust bucket. Also when you take it for a drive, drive it like you would normally drive it. don;t be affraid to do it, and listen and pay attention for everything.

I have a 98 cx, and I get around 33 miles per gallon on and 90% mini me and a heavy foot.