Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What kind of oil should i use?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of oil should i use?

Im about to change the oil for the first time since the swap, and im not sure what kind i should use... WHen we first did it, i put in 15w50 mobil 1 synthetic...
Should i stick with the 15w50 or use 10w30, or what? I dont know anything about oil...

Motor is a B18c1
Old 07-11-2005, 07:14 AM

Default Re: What kind of oil should i use? (v0lcom27)

Why you use such a thick oil? Run a 5w30 or 10w30
Old 07-11-2005, 07:25 AM

Default Re: What kind of oil should i use? (HitEm'Up)

I use a 10w30 here in Fla.

I used to use Mobile 1 syn but I found that that Mobile 1 syn is only worth the money if you leave it in the car for 5,000+ miles.

Now I use Castrol GTX and change my oil ~3,000 miles.

Mobile 1 syn oil change w/ filter= ~$30

Castrol GTX oil change w/ Fram filter = ~$12

Modified by fakemike at 11:43 AM 7/11/2005
Old 07-11-2005, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was wondering the same thing I dont know if somebody could clarify this for us but I saw the high performance oil 15w50 and I was curious should I use it. What are the pro and cons of this instead of 10w30 or 5w30?

Dave
Old 07-11-2005, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just use good o' regular oil, 10w30.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:18 AM

Default Re: What kind of oil should i use? (D16SohcVtec)

it depends on how old ur engine is the 10 and 20 w50 are meant for engines with higher mileage because they tend to burn oil more and the 5 and 10 w30 is too thin for older engines im not 100% sure but i would imagine the same applies for synthetic and if u really want to get ur moneys worth for a couple more bucks then regular synthetic u can get extended life which is good for up to 16k miles. And synthetic oil is better for engine then regular oil.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

50w
Old 07-11-2005, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (fracas)

I use 10w30 synethic blend.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:24 AM

Default Re: (Luserkid)

I just went and got 10w30 fully syn Mobil 1, i guess we'll see how this stuff works out.
Thanks for the replies guys
Old 07-11-2005, 09:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Luserkid)

Ive been using that Castrol Syn Blend as well. What do you guys think about it ???
Old 07-11-2005, 10:03 AM

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=848572

reading is knowledge

Honda recommend 5w-30 in most cars due gas efficiency/environment frendly, which also is enforced/recommend by the epa on all car manufactures to use 5w-30 oil.

5/10w-30= 5 degrees difference in viscosity rate(fluid resist flow under pressure) (start up )

Old 07-11-2005, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (six_speed)

Multi viscosity oil

5w30 is better for cold weather and just as good in hot as 10w30. The great thing about mobil 1 5w and 10w30 oils is that they use no additives to achieve that rating. Dino oils use additives and thats what break down over time.

I feel bad changing my oil at 7500miles (mobil 1 5w30). Plus I have read that its such a good lubricant that there is seriously no wear. Thats why its not good for breaking in an engine, you want wear there.

http://www.atis.net/oil_faq.html
Old 07-11-2005, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (flood)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
http://www.atis.net/oil_faq.html</TD></TR></TABLE>

Please enjoy,
SWY 3-14-95

That page is seriously out of date; and some of that 10 year old data is no longer correct.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">AMSOIL can formulate their 10W-30 and 15W-40 with no viscosity index improvers but uses some in the 10W-40 and 5W-30. Mobil 1 uses no viscosity improvers in their 5W-30</TD></TR></TABLE>

As I mentioned in the other thread about oils that you had posted in, Mobil 1 is no longer a full synthetic, and it does in fact use additives. Also, note that he was talking about viscosity improvers, and not additives in general.

The difference between syn and dino is not the use of additives, but what is used for the base stock itself. What is true is that synthetics typically have less additives than a dino oil, because the properties can be changed in the manufacturing process.

Use whatever oil is recommended in your manual for the temp range you're operating in. You're almost gauranteed to be fine with dino oil, and if you want to prove it to yourself, google up blackstone laboratories and get an oil change test kit. I found very little difference in numbers between Castrol GTX and Mobil 1 at 5000 miles.

Old 07-11-2005, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

10w30 it what i use
Old 07-12-2005, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AutoXer)

Not all Group III lubricants are created equal, so let me make sure I understand what your saying. Mobil 1 sold in the US is hydroisomerized basestock and not synthetic polyaphaolefins?

Just out of curiosity did the blackstone lab kit show that the mobil 1 needed to be changed at 5k miles? What about the Castrol? Did you extend the test beyond 5k miles?

I am curious because I read a test that someone had done on an LS1 camaro and the Mobil 1 went to something like 12k miles before the lab tests suggested it be changed. I think they swapped filters with a new one and went to 15k or so.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is a quote from your previous post:
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's a symantics problem. By definition, a Group III oil, which has components derived from organics, is a synthetic in this country. There is some loophole in the SAE (I beleive) standards that allows for this.

Castrol was the first to take advantage of this, and make thier 'synthetic' vastly cheaper. Mobil soon followed to beef up their profit margin.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is what mobil1 had to say:

"Mobil1 motor oils are 100% synthetic just like when it was introduced in 1973 in USA, it is comprised of synthetic basestocks (PAO) and high performance additives tailored to its specifc applications."

So if you have proof that Mobil soon followed to beef up their profit margin, we should aquire proof and make some money. Perhaps what your refering to is the synthetic blend extended life they just introduced?
Old 07-12-2005, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not all Group III lubricants are created equal, so let me make sure I understand what your saying. Mobil 1 sold in the US is hydroisomerized basestock and not synthetic polyaphaolefins?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Everything that I've read says that this is the case. Of course, I can't test that myself, so I'm relying on bobistheoilguy and those gurus for the information.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just out of curiosity did the blackstone lab kit show that the mobil 1 needed to be changed at 5k miles? What about the Castrol? Did you extend the test beyond 5k miles?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

The GTX could have gone longer than 5000 when tested, but it was cheap, and that was the specified interval; so I stuck with 5000. I didn't test the Mobil 1, because I only used it once or twice; when I did my valve train was noisier, and it burned out of my motor way to fast. I'm doing testing right now on the 0W-50 German Castrol Syntec. It was fine at 5000, so I'll be doing 7500 next time. I'll post the results in a few months when I reach the milage limit.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am curious because I read a test that someone had done on an LS1 camaro and the Mobil 1 went to something like 12k miles before the lab tests suggested it be changed. I think they swapped filters with a new one and went to 15k or so. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Have they finished that testing? I remember the site that started to do some pretty rigerous testing, but were running a bit low on funds.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is what mobil1 had to say:

"Mobil1 motor oils are 100% synthetic just like when it was introduced in 1973 in USA, it is comprised of synthetic basestocks (PAO) and high performance additives tailored to its specifc applications."

So if you have proof that Mobil soon followed to beef up their profit margin, we should aquire proof and make some money. Perhaps what your refering to is the synthetic blend extended life they just introduced?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The last bit of research on the subject that I had done was about a year or two ago. When I found the GC Syntec, I've stuck with that, and it was before these 'new' Mobil oils came out.

If they're calling out PAO, then I guess that's what they must be using; but that is contrary to everything that I've read. Could it be possible they're using that basestock, but using other organic derived components? I'm going to have to do some digging now.

Even so, the German Castrol Syntec is meets all the future VW / Audi and EU specs; which the US Mobil 1 does not (I'm not sure if there is different spec Mobil 1 for overseas, but the one here doesn't meet the specs) so there's got to be something different in it's formulation.

Old 07-12-2005, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Everything you have said in this last post makes perfect sense.

I do however believe after some internet research and emailing the company directly that Mobil 1 does use synthetic PAO for basestock. They even went as far as to sue Castrol for using hydroisomerized basestock (read mineral oil) and calling it synthetic aka syntech. The ruling was that it fell into group III oils but Mobil continued to use PAO or fully synthetic base stock even after exxon bought the company.

I would bet dollars to donuts that the 0W-50 German Castrol Syntec is different than the American Syntec if it is classified as a Group IV in Germany. That was the whole lawsuit is that castrol switched from PAO to 100% mineral oil in America without any notification to consumers or syntec labels. Then the ruling was that it was allowed under group III as synthetic. Mobil continutes to use PAO.

"The challenger (Mobil1) alleged that after years of manufacturing Syntec with PAO, Castrol replaced the PAO, which had constituted nearly 70% of the volume of the product, with hydroprocessed mineral oil in approximately December 1997. As a result of an independent laboratory test conducted by Savant Inc., Mobil maintained that samples of Syntec purchased in June and December 1997 contained 93% and 80% PAO. Other samples of Syntec, one purchased in December 1997 and four purchased in 1998, contained no PAO, and instead contained 100% mineral oil."

Even if Mobil1 uses some organic additives to a fully synthetic basestock, thats fine with me. I haven't had any problems and the oil does appear to hold up much better than dyno oil in my car. I would be interested to get the oil test kit.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They even went as far as to sue Castrol for using hydroisomerized basestock (read mineral oil) and calling it synthetic aka syntech. The ruling was that it fell into group III oils but Mobil continued to use PAO or fully synthetic base stock even after exxon bought the company. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's when the whole thing started. It was ruled that the group III could still be considered synthetic under the SAE guidlines for whatever reason. My understanding was that Mobil had followed Castrols lead soon after. Apparently they're still using the synthetic base, but must have some organically derived components in there somewhere.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
"The challenger (Mobil1) alleged that after years of manufacturing Syntec with PAO, Castrol replaced the PAO, which had constituted nearly 70% of the volume of the product, with hydroprocessed mineral oil in approximately December 1997. As a result of an independent laboratory test conducted by Savant Inc., Mobil maintained that samples of Syntec purchased in June and December 1997 contained 93% and 80% PAO. Other samples of Syntec, one purchased in December 1997 and four purchased in 1998, contained no PAO, and instead contained 100% mineral oil."</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmmm... very interesting.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would bet dollars to donuts that the 0W-50 German Castrol Syntec is different than the American Syntec if it is classified as a Group IV in Germany. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It definitely is; you can see it. The oil is a bright green (almost coolant colored), and smells kind of sweet. The green oil is being phased out for a new formulation that is amber colored, but it still has the same properties as the original.

Old 07-13-2005, 05:49 AM

quaker state 10w30 is the best oil out there, trust me i know for a fact.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What kind of oil should i use? (sshonda2004)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sshonda2004 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">quaker state 10w30 is the best oil out there, trust me i know for a fact.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Based upon? Do you have any oil analysis data?

Old 07-13-2005, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What kind of oil should i use? (AutoXer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Based upon? Do you have any oil analysis data?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh yeah that brings up another thing. you mentioned bob the oil guy so I went to their site. The forum has oil analysis postings and they are pretty interesting to read thru.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:30 AM

Default Re: What kind of oil should i use? (flood)

call it placebo effect... but my car feels better with 10w30.