Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

what a good a strut bar

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what a good a strut bar

i got some cheap *** no name brand from a freind for 5 bucks. it there a dbig deal between a DC sports, Neuspeed strut bar or any othe big name brand

http://www.team-integra.net/se...D=293
Old 07-03-2003, 08:55 PM

Default Re: what a good a strut bar (wm5holla)

in my opinion all strut bars work tha same. brand name or generic.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:23 PM

it dont matter as long as it works
Old 07-03-2003, 09:26 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wm5holla &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.team-integra.net/se...D=293</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't want to sign-up to look at it. Post a pic
Old 07-03-2003, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what a good a strut bar (BLACK99civicEX)

carbing hands down!
-Bryan-
Old 07-03-2003, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: what a good a strut bar (EGStreetHtch)

for $5 you can't go wrong. but i personally would go with neuspeed or any other one piece strut bar/brace.

Neuspeed

Modified by shermanyang at 4:55 PM 7/5/2003

Modified by shermanyang at 5:00 PM 7/5/2003
Old 07-03-2003, 10:23 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGStreetHtch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">carbing hands down!
-Bryan-</TD></TR></TABLE>

If Bryan here means hands down that the carbing bar is overpriced
and doesn't do anything that the OEM bar does then im with him

Its not my opinion, its a fact. Search and you will find good info on this one.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:29 PM

Default Re: what a good a strut bar (d15dude)

see it all the time, people talking about all sorts of different bars claiming their Integra has superior handling to a McLaren F1. Well at least they have the power of possitive thinking on their side.

It's important to know exactly what types of bars are available and what their functions are. There are 6 different types of bars available for the Integra, 4 of them to stiffen the chassis and 2 to dictate cornering balance. This article covers the 4 strut/tie bars which work to stiffen the chassis. Information on the other 2 bars can be found in my Sway Bars article.

The main purpose of these bars is to brace the chassis at critical points. Normally during hard cornering the chassis will twist and flex due to the immense amount of force generated by 2600 lbs of metal wanting to move in a different direction than you are steering it. What this translates to is sluggish handling, and the chassis will end up playing catch up with itself.

All opposing forces to the chassis however come directly from the suspension components, so the solution is to brace both ends of the suspension together. If the bars do their job, the chassis will be held tightly together, and the forces that were once flexing the chassis are now going into turning the vehicle. This results in more responsive handling, and the vehicle will be able to make sudden changes in movement much quicker.
. Front Upper Strut Tower Bar
Connects the front strut towers in the engine bay. The most popular bar that enthusiasts purchase mainly because of it's effect to the looks of the engine bay. Be wary though, just because it looks nice doesn't mean it will perform. For front-heavy cars such as ours the chassis will undergo the majority of flexing in the front and a quality bar on top is a must. The Integra GS-R and Type R come stock with this kind of bar.

2. Rear Upper Strut Tower Bar
Connects the rear strut towers in the trunk. Same effect as the front upper bar. The JDM Integra Type R comes with this bar stock.

3. Front Lower Tie Bar
Connects the lower front control arms. The least popular bar due to minimum availabilty and that it's the only strut/tie bar that you cannot show off. Not only that, but for lowered cars ground clearance can be an issue as it will have to hang down further than anything else under the car. There are only a few companies who offer this bar for Integras. Neuspeed makes a front lower tie bar for the non-vtec Integras while Spoon and Cusco make one for all applications, thanks to member b18c2 for the info on that.

4. Rear Lower Tie Bar
Connects the lower rear control arms. Also a popular bar due to it being visible from outside the car and will stiffen the rear without taking up space in the trunk. The problem I see with most Honda/Acura drivers is that they all have those shiny DC Sports bars which are too flimsy to actually do anything performance-wise. If you are not going for the rear upper strut bar due to trunk space issues at least get a good quality tie bar to make up for it. The Integra Type R comes stock with this kind of bar.

Quality bars to look for would be Mugen, Spoon, Neuspeed and Comptech. Bars to stay away from that will have no effect on performance would be DC Sports, APC, OBX, and any cheap no-name brand.

While all of these bars combined do a great job in stiffening the chassis and increasing cornering response, they still won't prevent body roll or "leaning" of the chassis. They also will not change the cornering balance of the vehicle. I've heard people say that a strut bar will "minimize understeer" however this is not true. The chassis may be held together tightly but it is still free to shift it's weight upon cornering. That's where the 2 other bars I mentioned earlier called sway bars come into play. More information on that can be found in the Sway Bars article.
FROM ---http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=293
Old 07-04-2003, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If Bryan here means hands down that the carbing bar is overpriced
and doesn't do anything that the OEM bar does then im with him </TD></TR></TABLE>
BOOooourrns!
lol
-Bryan-
Old 07-04-2003, 08:00 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGStreetHtch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">carbing hands down!
-Bryan-</TD></TR></TABLE>

or benen, they make a really good three point brace
Old 07-04-2003, 08:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: what a good a strut bar (Kronic)

i have used geneirc ones and i can tell you they do definatly help. i have also been in cars with expensive bars, and it felt about the same to me. i dunno, but i would rather pay $20 for a cheap no name bar, than spend $100-200 for a bar that looks pretty and does minor things. But thats just me. and the difference would only be under very hard cornering, which if you are doing on the street i hate you, because you are the ******* flying around back streets, cutting corners, about to kill someone. ok ill stop now...

Old 07-04-2003, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

actually neuspeed are some of the stronger bars on the market, and if you want to take the car to the track i would check out emracing.com
Old 07-04-2003, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: what a good a strut bar (gambit33)

neuspeed is one of the few brands that looks good and serves it's purpose without beening expensive. neuspeed
Old 07-04-2003, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by wm5holla
see it all the time, people talking about all sorts of different bars claiming their Integra has superior handling to a McLaren F1. Well at least they have the power of possitive thinking on their side.

It's important to know exactly what types of bars are available and what their functions are. There are 6 different types of bars available for the Integra, 4 of them to stiffen the chassis and 2 to dictate cornering balance. This article covers the 4 strut/tie bars which work to stiffen the chassis. Information on the other 2 bars can be found in my Sway Bars article.

The main purpose of these bars is to brace the chassis at critical points. Normally during hard cornering the chassis will twist and flex due to the immense amount of force generated by 2600 lbs of metal wanting to move in a different direction than you are steering it. What this translates to is sluggish handling, and the chassis will end up playing catch up with itself.

All opposing forces to the chassis however come directly from the suspension components, so the solution is to brace both ends of the suspension together. If the bars do their job, the chassis will be held tightly together, and the forces that were once flexing the chassis are now going into turning the vehicle. This results in more responsive handling, and the vehicle will be able to make sudden changes in movement much quicker.
Connects the front strut towers in the engine bay. The most popular bar that enthusiasts purchase mainly because of it's effect to the looks of the engine bay. Be wary though, just because it looks nice doesn't mean it will perform. For front-heavy cars such as ours the chassis will undergo the majority of flexing in the front and a quality bar on top is a must. The Integra GS-R and Type R come stock with this kind of bar.

2. Rear Upper Strut Tower Bar
Connects the rear strut towers in the trunk. Same effect as the front upper bar. The JDM Integra Type R comes with this bar stock.

3. Front Lower Tie Bar
Connects the lower front control arms. The least popular bar due to minimum availabilty and that it's the only strut/tie bar that you cannot show off. Not only that, but for lowered cars ground clearance can be an issue as it will have to hang down further than anything else under the car. There are only a few companies who offer this bar for Integras. Neuspeed makes a front lower tie bar for the non-vtec Integras while Spoon and Cusco make one for all applications, thanks to member b18c2 for the info on that.

4. Rear Lower Tie Bar
Connects the lower rear control arms. Also a popular bar due to it being visible from outside the car and will stiffen the rear without taking up space in the trunk. The problem I see with most Honda/Acura drivers is that they all have those shiny DC Sports bars which are too flimsy to actually do anything performance-wise. If you are not going for the rear upper strut bar due to trunk space issues at least get a good quality tie bar to make up for it. The Integra Type R comes stock with this kind of bar.

Quality bars to look for would be Mugen, Spoon, Neuspeed and Comptech. Bars to stay away from that will have no effect on performance would be DC Sports, APC, OBX, and any cheap no-name brand.

While all of these bars combined do a great job in stiffening the chassis and increasing cornering response, they still won't prevent body roll or "leaning" of the chassis. They also will not change the cornering balance of the vehicle. I've heard people say that a strut bar will "minimize understeer" however this is not true. The chassis may be held together tightly but it is still free to shift it's weight upon cornering. That's where the 2 other bars I mentioned earlier called sway bars come into play. More information on that can be found in the Sway Bars article.
FROM ---http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=293
very good info! you left out a few things...rear floorboard bars, 1 piece vs 3 piece bars, and the effect of multiple bars (two front tower bars), reinforced front and rear bumpers, pillar bars, rollcages, etc.
Old 07-05-2003, 02:50 AM

Default Re: what a good a strut bar (Damon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Damon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">very good info! you left out a few things...rear floorboard bars, 1 piece vs 3 piece bars, and the effect of multiple bars (two front tower bars), reinforced front and rear bumpers, pillar bars, rollcages, etc.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Those things were left out because they are crap...crap...crap...and more crap.

I really don't think that any of us would be able to notice the difference of any of the
bars that Damon just brought up. I don't want to here about who makes what and
why its better then this or that. If you want to learn about suspension and
handling you should search through past posts in the auto cross and road race forum.

Ill help tonight:

original quoteWillard)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
the stock unit is fine...

quote: (ITR764)
werd (real time still runs stock front bar)

Read up, and when you decide that you need sway bars come talk to me.

=edit= I forgot to bash on your oversimplified article.
I wasn't goint to read the whole thing but since it was quoted so many time I figured
it could have something worth hearing. Well, I guess everyone can be wrong.
Lets hope that not too many people listened to that. People still do there research
before they buy. Right?

I read in some article from a BMW forum (post the link if you have it) that the
chassis does not push in, it pulls outward. Therefore any one piece bar should do the
trick. Im not going to guarantee that the $200 aftermarket strut bars are not any better
then my stock gsr bar but you cant deni the fact that the money could be spent on
other things to give you better results.

Modified by d15dude at 7:06 PM 7/5/2003
Old 07-05-2003, 08:26 AM

Default Re: what a good a strut bar (d15dude)

So where does that integra info. fit in with a civic coupe? And how are SRR products.... they weren't mentioned, just wondering.
Old 07-05-2003, 09:27 AM

I bought an OEM strut tower bar for an Si and it works great.
Old 07-05-2003, 02:03 PM

Default Re: what a good a strut bar (SleepEMike)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So where does that integra info. fit in with a civic coupe? And how are SRR products.... they weren't mentioned, just wondering.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It is all the same. I am going to guess that you didn't go search did you?
Old 07-05-2003, 03:00 PM
Motorhead

DC strutbars are junk! Here's why... Before you stick this pos in your car,place it on the ground & stand on it. See how it flexes in the center almost to the ground? Well when it's in your ride it's gonna flex the same way creating an almost rubberband-like effect which is worse than not having one at all...
Old 07-05-2003, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what a good a strut bar (Motorhead)

you can tell the dc bars are junk just by looking at them, it looks like dc took inspiration of their bars from some swiss cheese. I am very happy with my emracing bars, sold the spoon products for emracing.
Old 07-05-2003, 03:37 PM

Default Re: what a good a strut bar (Motorhead)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Motorhead &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">DC strutbars are junk! Here's why... Before you stick this pos in your car,place it on the ground & stand on it. See how it flexes in the center almost to the ground? Well when it's in your ride it's gonna flex the same way creating an almost rubberband-like effect which is worse than not having one at all... </TD></TR></TABLE>

I disagree. "Why?" you ask:

At any time well you are driving your car under any conditions is there going
to be pressure on the middle of the strut bar? NO!
If you would read what I posted earlier then you would know that the struts
Do not push in on themselves they try to pull out. I don't know if it is, but I
think the dc sports bar is hinged, that is why I would stay away from it.
Old 07-05-2003, 03:40 PM

get a benen
Old 07-05-2003, 10:04 PM

Default Re: what a good a strut bar (betterwind)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by betterwind &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get a benen </TD></TR></TABLE>

Why?
Old 07-05-2003, 10:37 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Connects the front strut towers in the engine bay. The most popular bar that enthusiasts purchase mainly because of it's effect to the looks of the engine bay. Be wary though, just because it looks nice doesn't mean it will perform. For front-heavy cars such as ours the chassis will undergo the majority of flexing in the front and a quality bar on top is a must. The Integra GS-R and Type R come stock with this kind of bar.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
3. Front Lower Tie Bar

4. Rear Lower Tie Bar
Connects the lower rear control arms. Also a popular bar due to it being visible from outside the car and will stiffen the rear without taking up space in the trunk. The problem I see with most Honda/Acura drivers is that they all have those shiny DC Sports bars which are too flimsy to actually do anything performance-wise. If you are not going for the rear upper strut bar due to trunk space issues at least get a good quality tie bar to make up for it. The Integra Type R comes stock with this kind of bar.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is all excellent information regarding some of the ways to stiffen the chassis, but am I the only one who noticed a certain "theme" to all of those explanations.

Sorry, it's late and I felt like nitpicking.
Old 07-06-2003, 12:47 AM
Banned

Default Re: what a good a strut bar (numbskull)

strut bars all do the same thing

Quick Reply: what a good a strut bar