Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

weird redline problem when car is still...and warm idle/stalling problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird redline problem when car is still...and warm idle/stalling problem

if i hit my gas pedal to redline the car it redlines at 3.5k then if i hold it it will jump to 5k then 7k then 8200......what would cause this?? sounds funny to like its pinging. its a high pitched noise.

i installed new cap and rotor, new plugs, new wires, new t stat, 3 different working iacv, 2 working fitv....i am stumped.

could it be a map sensor? or tps? i set the tps with ohm out of the car. because i dont know how to with volts.

would it be a ect sensor?

i have warm idle problems and stalling when the car is warm. runs good cold but idles low on cold starts. around 1100rpm

i am changing the ect sensor tomorow the one with one wire. also i am going to swap my friends known working map sensor to see if that helps

i have messed with the idle screw too. opened the butterfly on throttlebody and closed it. nothing seems to help it idle.

car will not idle when the iac is unpluged either. it just dies right out

i haev a b18c in a civic eg

any help??? or similar problems?
Old 03-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: weird redline problem when car is still...and warm idle/stalling problem

i drove the car more today. i feel a stumble when i go full throttle now. im starting to think its my dizzy but idk and i dont want to keep throwing parts at it. maybe icm or coil??????? thats the next thing i guess

it misfires when in neutral once it warms up. even if its cold and i give it gas it red lines at random rpm's and if i hit the gas more it will make a funny noise. but if i drive the car it will redline at 8200 as it should but it feels slow. not as much power as it should have.

when its up to operating temp the car will stall out on its own when in neutral. if its in gear itll stay running but stumbles lower than 2.5k rpm.

the ect sensor with one wire didnt fix my problem( i later found out that was the temp reading for the thermometer). so im going to swap in a ect with the 2 wires right next to the sensor i replaced.

compression tested fine. it burns a tad bit of oil if i go full throttle but what honda doesnt. not enough to throw off the compression test

is there a way to test the icm? or coil?
Old 03-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: weird redline problem when car is still...and warm idle/stalling problem

i used a known working map sensor and it still did not help the idle....so thats slowly checking off the list.

i have no check engine light unless i unplug a sensor.

does this sound like a tps problem? or a internal dizzy problem?
Old 03-20-2012, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i changed my ect sensor and adjusted the throttle stop screw a bit and it seems to idle better now. but its too highfor my liking and still surges a lil once warm.

cold start its around 2k rpm and when warm it drops to 1300-1200rpm. but it will surge sometimes from 1200 to 900. but the car no longer stalls out.

so i can drive it without starting it atleast thats what it did when i drove it for a 10min period.

i will check it more tomorw and drive it and try to get it to stall out
Old 03-21-2012, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check your air cleaner, air intake tube. I would think if it was a sensor you would get a code.
See if AutoZone can test the ICM, they can check different ones here, but don't know about there.
Trottle position sensor, could cause it and may not throw a code.