Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

weird idle driving problems.. need some advice fast please

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 05:35 AM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default weird idle driving problems.. need some advice fast please

alright guys and gals .. need some help.. im attempting to get this car running better that i sold to this girl i know.. im starting to think its the driver cause i have not seen the car stall out yet but says it stalls out occasionally she says and gets worse, but it starts back up after a few times and there is no CEL at all.. mostly at idle or coming to a stop.

i just went through the car 1 month ago and replaced the spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter and checked the timing.. its a b18c1 motor with I/H/E skunk2 IM, obd2 ITR cat, VAFC and kenji itr spec chipped p28 ecu..

when we replaced the plugs last month i forget what i got put in there but im thinking the plugs are fouled out cause the car runs really rich and ran really rich even when i owned it. it failed VA emissions and the inspector said it needed a new cat and would pass.. how much would a clogged cat effect this stalling issue? im going to tell her to get a set of spark plugs but kind of plugs would you put in this car w/ this setup and at what gap size?? ive been into my turboed car so much lately i forgot bout all this NA stuff sorry everyone... just give me some advice so i can get his car running better for her and dont have to hear her complain cause she must think that i like hearing her complain for some reason
Old 06-29-2004, 05:40 AM
Electrician

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gap is usually set at 1.1mm (.043 in.). Did you gap the to factory spec? What was the timing set at? A clogged cat usually ends up bogging the car down and making it run like ***, but really doesn't affect it by making it run REALLY rich as you stated. Pull the plugs, check condition. If carbon build up is noticeable, run some Sea Foam, clean out the plugs (or get new one), gap and install. Check the timing again though.

Edit: I just re-read the post. Kenji programmed chips are known for their "rich" state. If you Search on "Kenji" threads, people do complain it's a bit rich. So that might be the problem. Plus, was your V-AFC tuned or just messed around with by a non-professional without a dyno? If you messed with your air and fuel settings, that could be another problem.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:52 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (Dimi)

Gap is usually set at 1.1mm (.043 in.).
Did you gap the to factory spec? guy said they were gapped already, i gonna go over the car tomorrow and check the plugs

What was the timing set at? 16 degreess i set it according to the helms manual after we replaced the cap and rotor

A clogged cat usually ends up bogging the car down and making it run like ***, but really doesn't affect it by making it run REALLY rich as you stated. Pull the plugs, check condition. If carbon build up is noticeable, run some Sea Foam, clean out the plugs (or get new one), gap and install. Check the timing again though.
i just ran a bottle of seafoam through the engine about 4 months ago, think it would need it agian? i put half through the vacuum line and the rest into the the oil and changed the oil the next day

Edit: I just re-read the post. Kenji programmed chips are known for their "rich" state. If you Search on "Kenji" threads, people do complain it's a bit rich. So that might be the problem. Plus, was your V-AFC tuned or just messed around with by a non-professional without a dyno?
the vafc is in there but set to stock fuel maps, no tuning has been done to the car b/c i sold the car to her before i got it tuned

If you messed with your air and fuel settings, that could be another problem. yea thats what i was thinking at one time i street tuned the car a little myself but its stock settings now, the autometer a/f guage reads rich most if not all the time, another reason i think the plugs could be shot already, cuase it ran fine for a month afterwards and now this.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:33 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (TurboBumblBee)

anyone else have any ideas???? im gonnna hopefully take a look at the car tonight or tomorrow

Old 06-29-2004, 07:19 PM
Trial User

Default Re: weird idle driving problems.. need some advice fast please (TurboBumblBee)

come one everyone.. ill be lookin at the car tomorrow and would like to fix it..

is it possible the chip that kenji burned for me could be going bad or something? its worked for over a year but i have other programs (different chips) that i could put into the ecu and try