Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

weird acceleration vibration .... need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird acceleration vibration .... need help

I have been having some vibration while accelerating....and its odd.

If the car is cold (sitting for a while) I can start it up go drive and there is no vibration for a couple of minutes.....it will progressively get worse ONLY while on the gas.

I have already bought and replaced both my axles and am looking for other reasons my car is doing this. Like: symptoms of bad wheel bearings, shocks, tierod ends, etc. I have looked at the ball joints and tie rod ends and as far as i can tell nothing is leaking and looks in good condition. However, my shocks (kyb agx) are about 4-5 years old...one is leaking a little and the other will make some noise (sqeak) when compressed.

so It only vibrates when the car is "warm".... and only on the throttle, and I've searched this for a couple of hours, and couldn't find anything...

car is a 94 civic w/ b18b1
polyurethane mounts (2 front lower mounts) rear not polyurethane yet.

TIA
Old 11-16-2004, 09:41 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: weird acceleration vibration .... need help (5thgen)

I would think that suspension components would make the car shake all of the time...check out your differential if you've ruled out the axles.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: weird acceleration vibration .... need help (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would think that suspension components would make the car shake all of the time...check out your differential if you've ruled out the axles.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah...why can't you tell me a cheap fix like lug nuts

It seems to have its times of driving ok....and sometimes shaking, I wish it would just pick one or the other, cause its driving me up a wall.

will check wheel bearings tomorrow....tighten exh. manifold (3 studs missing )...and support the downpipe better
Old 11-17-2004, 11:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: weird acceleration vibration .... need help (5thgen)

could be differentials, wheel bearing, axles, alignment, loose axle nut, loose wheel nuts, wheel balance. the question is, did you do something to your car recently or did it always vibrate?
Old 11-18-2004, 02:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine does the same thing, I think its my lower torque mounts though.I looked at them the other day and they were falling apart.
Could also be your rear motor mount.
When you accelerate and the engine torques back to the firewall,I think the mounts are not isolating the engine vibration from the rest of the unibody...
Ill be getting some mounts in a few weeks to see if it fixes the problem...
Still deciding on Jimfab or OEM. My lower torque mounts are aftermarket made by AG Engineering and they look VERY similar to the Jimfab ones so I may just get OEM....
Old 12-07-2004, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PyroProblem)

also i'm leaning more towards the tranny now

If I am rolling and push the clutch in and shift into different gears it will make a thump noise. I'm sure its not the shift linkage....and it also doesn't make any noise (thumps) in nuetral.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (5thgen)

another update....

took my wheels off to check everything.....everything looks in fairly good shape. No excessive play pretty much everywhere (maaaybe just a little bit on pass. tie rod end). Put my wheels back on.....and it drove fine, barely any shaking (while accelereating). And the problem with my vibration while braking was also cut down probably 90%.

I'm wondering if a caliper is sticking too much to the rotor and causing this. Am also wondering how hard it should be to spin a rotor while the wheel is off, mine seemed a little restrictive. Thnx to anyone who can help.