Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

wats the fastest swap 2 do with turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: wats the fastest swap 2 do with turbo?

ya i dont like h22 sorry i would love 2 do a k20 but no money 4 that ls/vtec sounds right will see wat happens my friend has b20 with itr head fully built for 1 year daily driver and he just changed the head gasket soo ill keep askin around
Old 01-13-2009, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do the g23 its bad a$$
Old 01-13-2009, 09:37 PM

holy that is carzyy but sounds like 2 much workk
Old 01-13-2009, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a plain build LS would probably be your best bet
definitely not the "fastest" though.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dart gsr block (around $4500 maybe i think) build your own turbo kit get a good engine management unit and BOOST 400hp+!!!
Old 01-14-2009, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Go K24 if you wanna make crazy numbers
Old 01-14-2009, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HondachrisEJ1
wow a lot of BS going on here.

Each engine platform has advantages and disadvantages when it comes to a turbo.

LS/Vtech can be troublesome and complicated especially for someone who hasn't run through it before. Add a turbo and you compound the problems...oil and compression mostly. Many of these blow up within the first 40k because of an inexperience builder or neglect. Have seen well built ones last 100k+(still alive) under extreme pressures of road track racing.

B20/Vtech-Amazingly easy to get 350 but like the ls/v it lends it self to problems when neglected or poorly built.

H22a has issues with finding proper pistons for replacement. not just any forge piston can go in due to the cylinder walls they have to have a special coating or alloy. Or you can resleeve. Good turbo vtech platform beyond that. Unlike B series your tranny options are pretty limited. Proper gearing can do a lot for you in a race including beating a car that heavily out matches you on a dyno. Also a heavier platform remember acceleration is a function of both mass and power commonly hp to weight ratio. if he has 350 on a b18 and you have 350 on an h22 (driver and chasis is constant) He will win I will put money on that.

LS doesn't have v-tech but does can be boosted pretty well without many problems. Easy to get parts for and relatively inexpensive. Smaller then the h22a means it will more difficult to get to 350hp with minimal lag or spool time.

B16a lends itself to be a great turbo base but is small and not as much torque. Have seen these things boosted to 375hp@14psi on stock internals (not recommended and I am frankly amazed it is still alive)

K-series- Expensive (tune, parts, swap etc)- but wont take as much to beat 350hp

Either way to reach 350 hp you will need a bottom end if you want it to last long. Do your research because each way you go you will find obstcals at that power. And balanced approach is far better then a focused approach
THANK YOU!!!
Finally someone who: States the truth in an objective manner, gives all options (not just his fave) AND writes in proper f-ing english!
Old 01-14-2009, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i built a ls/vtec i got in ma albums now i got it in my built 95 eg5 turbo it really was not dat hard to built it cus i did it....i really dnt like h22a's dat much....i did hav a jdm type-r k20a in my 1999 SiR RHD t3/t4 turbo dat motor had bout 10grand in it with the turbo it was fast but i like my ls/vtec i got right now

ls b18b1 long block=2000$
jdm b16a head type-r cams chrome value cover=1000$
t3/t4 turbo=2000$
chrome long block=500$
type-r pistons=200$
skunk2 spark plug wire cover=50$
dats what i got in my ls/vtec

jdm k20 type-r

jdm k20 type-r motor=3000$
t3/t4 turbo=3500$
skunk2 value cover=200$
skunk2 pistons=1500$
skunk2 turbo headers=500$
chrome long block=1000$
skunk2 spark plug wire cover=30$
chrome k20 head=500$
Old 01-14-2009, 06:07 AM

built a k20, and boost 30psi on a big turbo, you will honestly have 500+ whp
Old 01-14-2009, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

by the judge of ur knowledge ide say ur not trying to go crazy... k and h r out. go b series turbo... cheapest and most customizable with parts on the market. personally a ls vtec turbo is a waste of time in my mind the only reason u would even do a lsvtec setup is if ur going all motor and u want the low end torque... personally wen boosting ur gettgin crazy torque anyway just leads to issues if u ask me. personally im an all motor guy but if i was gonna boost ide say either b16 or gsr... probably gsr lots of parts and combos to use and its cheap compared to lots of other setups. ive seen boosted gsr's on stock heads making over 400whp. mildly build heads makin over 500whp. b16 is also another great choice ive seen many 350 plus whp turbo builds on minimum budgets.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:28 AM
Stouts 'n' Scotch

Originally Posted by B16AGUY
THANK YOU!!!
Finally someone who: States the truth in an objective manner, gives all options (not just his fave) AND writes in proper f-ing english!
Yet doesn't know how to spell "VTEC" correctly?

Plenty of fail in this thread.

OP only wants to "go fast" and probably doesn't give two craps about maintenance. I'd say get a cheap LS, build it and boost it.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HondachrisEJ1
wow a lot of BS going on here.

Each engine platform has advantages and disadvantages when it comes to a turbo.

LS/Vtech can be troublesome and complicated especially for someone who hasn't run through it before. Add a turbo and you compound the problems...oil and compression mostly. Many of these blow up within the first 40k because of an inexperience builder or neglect. Have seen well built ones last 100k+(still alive) under extreme pressures of road track racing.

B20/Vtech-Amazingly easy to get 350 but like the ls/v it lends it self to problems when neglected or poorly built.

H22a has issues with finding proper pistons for replacement. not just any forge piston can go in due to the cylinder walls they have to have a special coating or alloy. Or you can resleeve. Good turbo vtech platform beyond that. Unlike B series your tranny options are pretty limited. Proper gearing can do a lot for you in a race including beating a car that heavily out matches you on a dyno. Also a heavier platform remember acceleration is a function of both mass and power commonly hp to weight ratio. if he has 350 on a b18 and you have 350 on an h22 (driver and chasis is constant) He will win I will put money on that.

LS doesn't have v-tech but does can be boosted pretty well without many problems. Easy to get parts for and relatively inexpensive. Smaller then the h22a means it will more difficult to get to 350hp with minimal lag or spool time.

B16a lends itself to be a great turbo base but is small and not as much torque. Have seen these things boosted to 375hp@14psi on stock internals (not recommended and I am frankly amazed it is still alive)

K-series- Expensive (tune, parts, swap etc)- but wont take as much to beat 350hp

Either way to reach 350 hp you will need a bottom end if you want it to last long. Do your research because each way you go you will find obstcals at that power. And balanced approach is far better then a focused approach
Probably the most reasonable reply but it's funny how the addition of an "h" can remove any credibility..

Originally Posted by b16vt3c
i built a ls/vtec i got in ma albums now i got it in my built 95 eg5 turbo it really was not dat hard to built it cus i did it....i really dnt like h22a's dat much....i did hav a jdm type-r k20a in my 1999 SiR RHD t3/t4 turbo dat motor had bout 10grand in it with the turbo it was fast but i like my ls/vtec i got right now

ls b18b1 long block=2000$
jdm b16a head type-r cams chrome value cover=1000$
t3/t4 turbo=2000$
chrome long block=500$
type-r pistons=200$
skunk2 spark plug wire cover=50$
dats what i got in my ls/vtec

jdm k20 type-r

jdm k20 type-r motor=3000$
t3/t4 turbo=3500$
skunk2 value cover=200$
skunk2 pistons=1500$
skunk2 turbo headers=500$
chrome long block=1000$
skunk2 spark plug wire cover=30$
chrome k20 head=500$
It is pretty apparent that you have no idea what you're talking about.

I think what it comes down to is that the thread has been overlooked by almost everyone with any sort of intelligence, and a a result it has been filled to the brim with illiterate ramblings.

So, to answer the OP's question (that doesn't really deserve an answer), any engine can be made as good as the parts used to build it. Here is a good start -- look at how much money you can spend, go to hmotors or a similar site and try making the decision yourself. Nobody can do that for you which is why these worthless threads never go anywhere.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by B16AGUY
THANK YOU!!!
V-TECH!!!!! POWERSHIFT!!!! NOS!!!! haha ya he did have some very good points

ls-vtec turbo - no bueno (lots of headaches)

b20 vtec turbo - no bueno (see above)

b16/gsr/ls turbo - do it up!

k swaps (way over priced)

i say **** boost. build your self a g23 swap. k horsepower and torque for a fraction of the cost. for like 5k you could be 250 hp and around 200 tq (look at this months import tuner magazine) and im willing to bet you would just as fast if not faster. i bet you would have better traction then your buddies car's anyways.

Originally Posted by wiZCo
Yet doesn't know how to spell "VTEC" correctly?

Plenty of fail in this thread.

OP only wants to "go fast" and probably doesn't give two craps about maintenance. I'd say get a cheap LS, build it and boost it.
hahahaha no kidding. i totally agree this thread is complete and utter fail.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=dividedas1;37010877]

i say **** boost. build your self a g23 swap. k horsepower and torque for a fraction of the cost. for like 5k you could be 250 hp and around 200 tq (look at this months import tuner magazine) and im willing to bet you would just as fast if not faster. i bet you would have better traction then your buddies car's anyways.

http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp...dge/index.html
Old 01-14-2009, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

d16z6 - 300 (junkyard)
viatara pistons with eagle rods + rebuild gasket 800
cometic gasket and head studs - 240
turbo kit -2800 (in short with good stuff, tial w/g, with a gt30 turbo, and all stuff needed)
crome and a tune 300
boost controller - 20
Theres one way for 400hp hp

Some people are mis-leading in there statements. h22's can be great for boost, use mahle gold pistons (and be sure the person thats doing knows what they're doing, and gets the p2w clearance right < which is what kills a lot of these setups). Theres one guy on youtube with those pistons and stock sleeves hitting 420~whp and could outrun new gto's and corvettes. h22's is where the torques at lol.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Has anyone tried putting the G23 in the 6th Generation Accord? If not I am open to suggestions about a good swap for it.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Kaskiat
Has anyone tried putting the G23 in the 6th Generation Accord? If not I am open to suggestions about a good swap for it.
def not the place for that question. Make a new thread.

@ OP: do a D series build. They are cheap and u can make 400WHP without much effort. D series have strong heads that dont really blow. They have decent torque and a pretty good power curve.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon7 Re: wats the fastest swap 2 do with turbo?

Originally Posted by black4thgenef
probably the most reasonable reply but it's funny how the addition of an "h" can remove any credibility..

It is pretty apparent that you have no idea what you're talking about.

I think what it comes down to is that the thread has been overlooked by almost everyone with any sort of intelligence, and a a result it has been filled to the brim with illiterate ramblings.

So, to answer the op's question (that doesn't really deserve an answer), any engine can be made as good as the parts used to build it. Here is a good start -- look at how much money you can spend, go to hmotors or a similar site and try making the decision yourself. Nobody can do that for you which is why these worthless threads never go anywhere.

wtf you kno if you aint built da motors so wtf you gunna tell me i got dus motors in my cars cus dat k20 turbo is sold wiff my old 1999 sir rhd

and da ls/vt3c turbo is in my coupe cus i got two of them
Old 01-21-2009, 09:15 AM
Man U FTW

There is a lot of garbage floating around this thread and in order to clean it up, this thread is locked. If you want to start another thread, move to the Forced Induction forum, but have a better idea of what you want for your setup. Asking such a vague question is only going to result in vague answers.