Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Water Leak passenger side.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Leak passenger side.

Ok so iv searched a ton on this and iv found a few "maybes".

First off, its a '97 DX Hatchback with a sun roof. I got the car the other week and I could smell moldy carpet. I noticed the window rubbers were a little worn and were making the window push out unless I rolled the window up and pushed it in the rubber, preventing anything from leaking from the windows.

So I figured i had temp. fixed the leaking untill I could get my pay check this friday. So I took the carpet out and cleaned it of all the bs. Quite pleased that I had concured the smell... Then... Yesterday we got hit with a storm and I figured I would go out and take a look to see if the windows were leaking. Sitting in the car the windows were fine, not one drop. Then I heard dripping. Looking under my glove box I could see a nice stream of water coming down to the carpet.

Later, after work after it stopped raining I went home and put a hose on the top of my car to try to find out where it was coming from. I followed it basically all the way up to the A-Pillar but could not see anything because the dash was in the way. I took my A-Pillar off to see if maybe it was this hose that many people talk about from the sun roof. No luck on finding this magical hose behind my A-Pillar.

I took my pass. fender off and removed the plastic piece on the bottom of my windshield to see where the water was flowing inside and found it was going that way in just behind the fuse box in firewall. Then it became dark and I had to stop my head-ach there. I called the previous owner to conferm the whieldshield had been replaced. Which it had. Duh. The seal honestly looks like a child had done it but the water isnt exactly running that way for it to leak. Im goin to go home and spend the only hour and a half left of sunlight to keep pulling more of the car apart to find out more. I just dont want to pull the dash out if I dont have to.

I know this was a story and a half to read but if anyone has any ideas on this, or where to find this magical sunroof hose please HELP.

TY in advance
Old 04-22-2010, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Water Leak passenger side.

your sun roof weather seal is probably bad and you probably have a lake on top of the head liner. as it either fills or as you turn when driving, the water spills down the a-pillars. your rear seat coushin may also be soaked. i had this on my integra last year
Old 04-23-2010, 03:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Under the glove box, and next to the ECU ull see a white cyclinder looking thing, its the fan for the AC.

have your car off, and take it out (its 3 screws that arnt crossheads, they are kind of like allan key's except have 5 points or so). once u take it off, unplug it, and its probably filled with leaves and dirt and ****, give it a clean and put it back.

then, goto the frnot of your car, pop the bonnet and atke off your wipers, and then take off the black thing that it sits on. there should be 5-6 plastic circles that u need to pop off where there are plastic screws behind them.
take off the plastic screws.
on teh passenger side. youll see a big hole(its normal) its where the air comes into the car from the outside. in your car, you have the option to have this open or closed.

Anyway, around the hole there is probably a pile up of leaves and dirt and other gunk.
When it rains, the water goes down the windscreen, into that area, and because of the pile up, it over spills into that hole which goes to the fan(that you had cleaned) and drips threw the screws onto the carpet.

now, before you do all that, you best to CONFIRM that it is dripping from there,
when its storming. go in there and sit there for a while (it takes its time) and then put ur head under the glove box with a flash light, and those allan key looking screws are probably dripping slowly. If its so, get a plastic bag with some towels in it and place it under, strategically so that it drips ONTO the towel INTO the bag.

hope this helps.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea I did all of that already. The water is coming from exactly where you said. but here is the thing. There are no leaves there. I put the water hose up on the car and let water run down the gutter to conferm if it was the window or the sunroof. Sun roof is outa the question due to it still leaking. I followed the water up to the A-Pillar and window but i cant see any farther then that. I tried to take the plastic piece out between the window and the dash but after looking at it I think I have to take the dash out to get that out. Or maybe there is a trick or the trade? But I know the fan/filter thing your talking about and it dosnt seem like water is getting in there. Im goin to try to do what you said though just because I am out of ideas other then get the window re-sealed. It almost seems to be getting in the rubber seal of the window or something. Thanks for the help though. If you have any other ideas shoot them at me. Again, Thanks.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Andddd it rained today. Anddddd my carpet is still getting soaked.