Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Stripped out threads. Anyway to re-thread?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stripped out threads. Anyway to re-thread?

Hello. I found on the b18c1 that I bought has the threads stripped on the cam seal screws right behind the distributor. It's leaking a ton of oil from there and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. Otherwise I would have to just deal with it and wait to buy a new head
Old 04-23-2010, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Stripped out threads. Anyway to re-thread?

go to a machine shop bro. they might be able to put thread inserts and save your head. but if you screw it up they might not be able to help you. being that there isnt much to work with in that area as it is, you gotta know what youre doing. see a machine shop if you dont. my machine shop would charge maybe 75 bucks at most if it could be saved. maybe as low as 30 bucks. but they gotta see it. your local shop hopefully will charge about the same
Old 04-23-2010, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RICKSAUTOMOTIVE
go to a machine shop bro. they might be able to put thread inserts and save your head. but if you screw it up they might not be able to help you. being that there isnt much to work with in that area as it is, you gotta know what youre doing. see a machine shop if you dont. my machine shop would charge maybe 75 bucks at most if it could be saved. maybe as low as 30 bucks. but they gotta see it. your local shop hopefully will charge about the same
I had a valve cover bolt thread strip on a d16z6. I just went down to the local auto parts store and bought a heli coli set. Basically what you do is drill the hole out to a spec. diameter and rethread the hole for a coil. The coil goes in and it makes the hole the same thread pitch as it was before. Hard as hell to do if you don't know what your are doing. Otherwise see above.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:18 PM
Trial User

all you need is a tap&dye set
Old 04-23-2010, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by saltybeagle
I had a valve cover bolt thread strip on a d16z6. I just went down to the local auto parts store and bought a heli coli set. Basically what you do is drill the hole out to a spec. diameter and rethread the hole for a coil. The coil goes in and it makes the hole the same thread pitch as it was before. Hard as hell to do if you don't know what your are doing. Otherwise see above.
yep. so many people simply drift off a degree of angle when the tap and theyre so screwed. i know a machine shop that gives an auto parts store cheep taps to give customers for free in hopes they screw something up and need machining. i have a few of their cheap taps incase i need em here and there.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn. So it looks like I got to take off the head and bring it to a machine shop. That kinda sucks.