Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

water leak issue..

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water leak issue..

I searched, found a few things tried one, but no luck..

Car 95 Civic EX has sunroof

Tried to flush the sunroof drain, there wasnt anything in it

Issue..

Car leaks water in the interior, somehow.. Its only on the front seat carpets, no where else.

also the car is always fogged up when i get into it, but when i start car and let heater run it goes away. like my windshield and the rear window and all windows...

My next idea was to pull off the windshield wiper's and the cowl and searching under it...

this problem also with the 92-95 civics???

I dont think its the heater core just because it doesnt smell like coolant water, and when i turn on the heat it isnt all steamy air.. its actually very dry air.

please help me..

Last edited by BiG_DeE; 01-07-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:37 PM

Default Re: water leak issue..

It really sounds like the hearter core man.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

negative, pull your headliner down and check your sunroof drains... always check sunroof first when you have a water leak! your car would REEK of coolant if your leak was bad enough to puddle on the driver and passanger floor.

ill go over quickly how to water test.

close everything up.... leave dry car under a sprinkler / hose for a couple hours.... then remove interior panels and such and trace water.... its easy... just time consuming. start with the hose on the roof... then move to each door... and finally the windshield ( unlikely) then start tracing water. id bet its the sunroof.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry didnt noptice you already cleaned sunroof drains... but you still need to remove headliner to check if sunroof drains are attached to your sunroof assembly...
Old 01-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 90Rexx
sorry didnt noptice you already cleaned sunroof drains... but you still need to remove headliner to check if sunroof drains are attached to your sunroof assembly...
Yes they are.

i also was just outside (its pooring) and looked at the lil cowel part, its missing one of the fasteners it has holding it.. and was pretty loose so i tried to peak down there and didnt notice anything really... so when i can im going to remove that and check under it, we just have window guys right now, and they taking up the garage..
Old 01-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The sunroof drains in the front could be clogged.

down load the manual and see where the drains come out and try to blow a little air up them

If the car has A/C make sure the drain is not clogged
Old 01-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1992Si
The sunroof drains in the front could be clogged.

down load the manual and see where the drains come out and try to blow a little air up them

If the car has A/C make sure the drain is not clogged
Make sure whats not clogged?
Old 01-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, I'm messing with a 94 Civic EX right now as well. The damn car had all the drain tubes removed and the driver side is stuck inside pillar. Going to be a bitch to get that one tube out. Anyways, check all 4 drain tubes and make sure they are not clogged, follow them the whole way out the hole of car.

The hose test is always assuring.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i can do the damn hose test right now, we're getting a flood of rain.. good ol seattle....
Old 01-07-2009, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

tried doin a water leak test after taking the cowl off, and i didnt find any water on the inside, how do i check the ac?? i tired using the ac yesterday when i got the car, and it blew warm air..
Old 01-08-2009, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump, any ideas anyone???
Old 01-08-2009, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the cowl chances are is no the source of your leak, id double and triple check those drains !!! 90% of water leaks are from sunroofs!.... also check door gaps and door moldings! if your ac blows warm your ac will not produce water from the drain so thats not your problem either.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 90Rexx
the cowl chances are is no the source of your leak, id double and triple check those drains !!! 90% of water leaks are from sunroofs!.... also check door gaps and door moldings! if your ac blows warm your ac will not produce water from the drain so thats not your problem either.
I blew lots of air into the front 2 and nothing, they both were connected, i didnt mess with the rear ones, because the rear carpet isnt wet, just the front.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, so i vacuumed up as much water as i could, and cleaned it with some cleaner, now gonna see what happens where the leaks come from, i parked my car up a hill last night, and i got water in my rear right side last night.. my firewall area is dry tho.. so im starting to think maybe... its the windows..
Old 01-11-2009, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update

vacuumed the car out few days ago, got the water all up as best as possible, today went out, passengers side was all wet on the carpet alone, driver side is dry as i left it when i vacuumed.

Rear pass side was the most wet, i think when i checked it the first time, it wasnt so wet cause i left on a hill with the car's front end facing downwards..

So i pulled off the headliner, and got to the pass side drain tube, and cause i didnt have access to a air compressor, i used my mouth and blew on the drain tube, and it felt like it was backed up so i stopped and blew on it harder, and then what ever was stuck came out, dont know where it came out didnt really look, but i have a feeling that now its fixed, so im gonna revacuum the carpet on pass side and see...

Hopefully this will help anyone else who has the problem.