Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Salvage Vin Inspection info verification needed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Salvage Vin Inspection info verification needed!

Ill start with backround. my car was recently stolen and my motor and tranny were taken. im about to replace all that with a B20VTEC and im just wondering if they are gonna trip? i have VIN's on the BLOCK AND TRANNY, i was told they are legit but now im definitely gonna call up CHP and verify this.

so what ive gathered from what ive searched is, when i make this appointment to have my car inspected all they check is the VIN on the firewall and dash? i dont feel like swapping in my b20vtec then find out i need to put a d15 in my car cause thats what it was issued with.

all responses will be appreciated!!!
Old 01-05-2009, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Salvage Vin Inspection info verification needed!

bump
Old 01-05-2009, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

are you taking it to get it to the referee? unless you live in a county in cali that you dont have to get you car smogged, a b20 vtec is ilegal and wont pass. 1 becasue it is classified as a light truck motor and 2 because you cant mix and match engine parts from different motors.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:01 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm not 100% on California law, but a CR-V engine is considered a light truck engine, so it shouldn't be legal to put into a car.

Some links to help:
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...uidelines.html
http://www.chp.ca.gov/community/streetlegal.html
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vctoc.htm
http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/equipviolations.html

emission emissions engine motor swap replacement California CA cali year range old new older newer same different law legal laws passenger car
Old 01-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good luck with that living in cali. I'd buy the shell from you if you weren't so far away, nevada let's you get away with just about anything as long as it will pass a generic smog test.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well im gonna keep the car no matter what. but im trying to verify if what ive gathered it right. people say they just check the VIN on the firewall and dash to make sure they matchup. i can always get my hand on a d15 or d16 and drop it in just for this.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:26 PM

man it would suck to live in california.. no emissions in OH!!
Old 01-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well considering i got the beach 5 mins away from me and the desert 2 hours away from me and the mountains a few hours away and BEAUTIFUL WOMEN EVERYWHERE i think it doesnt suck to live in cali... just emissions can blow me.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went through this, I'm in NY so it may be a bit different but NY is on the stricter end of the spectrum.

#1 The car must be complete. The guy at the DMV who did my inspection told me he sends alot of people home cause of this. He said a button or a cover is cool but he gets people missing carpet, mirror, headlight and thats not cool. The car must be able to pass visual inspection when you bring it in but the DMV will not be checking that stuff during you title inspection.

#2 If your car was stolen hopefully you have a police report stating what what missing out of it when recovered. After that you must have paperwork to all of the missing parts. If your car has a navy interior and you show up with gray seats they are going to want a receipt. Assuming your car is an EG they'll want to see that the VIN on the dash matches the firewall and that you have documentation for the new engine you're putting on. They are smart enough to know that you're not using the CR-V tranny so you'll need paperwork for your LS, B16 or whatever tranny you're using.

#3 The rules are on their side here so the more proof you can give them the better. Anything fishy and they can keep your car. So if you show up there with a tranny and no papers for it you'll most likely not be leaving with the car. It's easy for them to assume it's stolen and tell you they're keeping the car, it happened to the guy who had his inspection before me.

#4 They don't do any sort of engine test. When I brought my car in it had tape over the CEL and the speedo didn't work. I kept the keys. All I had to do was open the doors, hood, hatch, and glove box. They aren't interested in how the car runs or if it's safe. They just want to make sure you legally own the car and every part included in it.

Good luck.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

missing carpet?
Old 01-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blueg6
missing carpet?
It's up to the inspectors discretion. Any major part of the car missing they can fail you for if they want to.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

from the way you wrote that you made it sound like as long as i have a reciepts for whatever the F*** i decide to put in my car that its all good. i am getting the feeling the CHP will be like uhhh that motor doesnt belong in that car.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MtxWrl
from the way you wrote that you made it sound like as long as i have a reciepts for whatever the F*** i decide to put in my car that its all good. i am getting the feeling the CHP will be like uhhh that motor doesnt belong in that car.
I can only speak for NY and CA may be different...But obviously the usual DOT laws apply. You can't put in an engine that is from an older year car than yours is. etc etc.

I've had a friend pass the inspection with an LSV engine which I guess would be classified as a hybrid. And my brother just passed inspection with a JDM RB26 skyline engine in his S14 240SX. So I can't imagine there being a problem with the B20.

You could always contact someone at the inspection bureau and ask them.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know that you cant put a light truck motor into a car so a b20 will be illegal, if they know what they are looking for. depending on where you go to get it inspected they can be very thorough or careless, it just depends on the guy doing the inspection

as for all the laws in NY, i am almost 100% sure they dont do any of that. I have had my car inspected by a state referee and they just did emission things. I know if you buy an out of state car you have to have it inspected by the dmv when you pick up your new plates. i believe they just check if your odometer is working and vin numbers match, just for paperwork and documentation purposes, not sure if they go by the firewall or dash. i would guess firewall since the dash is removable. I guess i will find out in a couple weeks when i get mine inspected.