Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Vtec solenoid question

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vtec solenoid question

ok.. do any of you know if there is any specific resistance that you have to throw accross the vtec wire to make it kick over or is it just a positive current?? im asking because im thinking of making my own vtec controller i know how to do it im just trying to learn more about what makes vtec "kick in" so to speak. hopefully someone who knows will understand what i am talking about.

Josh
Old 12-24-2002, 07:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Vtec solenoid question (95DelSolSI)

If you want to make a vtec controller, you don't need to worry about what makes it work. The wires are there.

I'm pretty sure it's just an on/off type of thing.
Old 12-24-2002, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vtec solenoid question (Nameless)

I recommend you not waste your time unless you are undergoing MAJOR engine building. Honda has the VTEC crossover point where they do for a reason.

Just my $.02

-Nick-
Old 12-24-2002, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok u didnt understand my question.. i know the wires are there A4 (vts wire) on my del sol... i also know that when it it crosses over it throws a positive current... what im asking is there has to be a resistance in that current for it to work... i install car alarms and stuff and best buy sometimes with lights and and other functions in cars in order to make them work there has to be a certain resistance in line to the power... like with some cars the parking lights and headlights are on the same wire but different resistances does different things like say a 325 ohm resistance will turn on the parking lights while a 1200 ohm resistance will turn the headlights on... see what im saying? the only way i can really think of a good way to do test it is to basicaly hook up a switch and throw power to the vts wire while im on the gas ad see if it works... but im kinda scared to do that in worries of messing something up.. thats why im tryin to learn as much about this one little wire (vts wire) as i can before i go start messin with it.

[Modified by 95DelSolSI, 8:15 PM 12/24/2002]
Old 12-24-2002, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vtec solenoid question (B19CivicHB)

I recommend you not waste your time unless you are undergoing MAJOR engine building. Honda has the VTEC crossover point where they do for a reason.
its not that i want to change my vtec point really its just that i want to see if i can do it... and make a fully functional controller... its more of a personal challenge.
Old 12-24-2002, 07:19 PM

I don't know if this will help, but according to the Helms manual for 92-95 EX/Si there should be between 14-30 ohms between the VTEC solenoid valve connector and the body ground, so by extension I would assume you're just looking for continuity between the ECU and the VTEC solenoid.

Like Nameless said, I think it's pretty much an on/off sort of switch between the ECU and the solenoid.

Edit- I will warn you though that electricity/wiring, etc is by far the weak point in my automotive knowledge however, so take this with a grain of salt

[Modified by uncivilCivicinprogress, 11:26 PM 12/24/2002]
Old 12-24-2002, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vtec solenoid question (95DelSolSI)

My mistake. Fiddling with stuff is fun, however im no wiring guru... sorry.

-Nick-
Old 12-24-2002, 07:49 PM

Default Re: Vtec solenoid question (B19CivicHB)

Well if you really want to know, I know a guy that hooked up his VTEC to the Highbeams of the car. Everytime you hit the highbeams, vtec would kick in. This is a fact, I know it might sound silly but I know this is true becuase I test drove it. It was a pretty cool feeling. Anyways, dont know much about how he did it, but ask around, Im sure someone outta know. Peace
Old 12-24-2002, 08:11 PM

Default Re: Vtec solenoid question (TEGPOWER44)

Well if you really want to know, I know a guy that hooked up his VTEC to the Highbeams of the car. Everytime you hit the highbeams, vtec would kick in. This is a fact, I know it might sound silly but I know this is true becuase I test drove it. It was a pretty cool feeling. Anyways, dont know much about how he did it, but ask around, Im sure someone outta know. Peace
Serious?! lol sounds funny, does he live in burbank also, Id like to see this!
Old 12-24-2002, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vtec solenoid question (tadeh)

solve all your problems with a volt meter.
Old 12-24-2002, 09:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Vtec solenoid question (Peagreenhatch)

Yah you should invest in a multimeter or something nice if you want to test stuff. (you probably have one though if you install audio)

I now see what you were asking, although I don't know jack about the resistance of that..
Old 12-25-2002, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

technically if you had one of those monster tachs with the shiftlight.. if you set the shiftlight where you wanted vtec to crossover and hooked the power wire from the shiftlight to the A4 wire it should work... but im not going that rout.. one cuz i dont want a big monster tach and 2 i wanna make soemthing lol