Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

VTEC on-off switch...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VTEC on-off switch...

I am looking to possibly rig a switch for the VTEC, simple on/off switch.

Has ANYONE had any experience in doing this or heard of it being done? I am really looking more for the experience portion of it...

Now what are the pro's and con's of doing this?
Old 03-27-2006, 06:49 AM

everyone understands what I am saying, right?
Old 03-27-2006, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VTEC on-off switch... (hondapowa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondapowa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> con's of doing this?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You won't be doing anything but loosing power.

VTEC was set at the optimal point at the factory; the only way to improve on it would be to dyno tune.

Old 03-27-2006, 06:59 AM

Default Re: VTEC on-off switch... (AutoXer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You won't be doing anything but loosing power.

VTEC was set at the optimal point at the factory; the only way to improve on it would be to dyno tune.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Losing power how? VTEC is a sucker punch of power, right? Now turned on at my command can't go wrong... How would that be bad?
Old 03-27-2006, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a joke right? No one really thinks that VTEC is a sucker punch of power.... WOW. Ok well to answer your question would take a while but basically VTEC switches to a different cam lobe to open the valves further for longer duration, basically it allows you to run a wilder cam profile without the trouble of bad idle. However, VTEC gives more horsepower which roughly means more top end speed, not nessicarily more torque, which is what people are generally looking for in the quest for straight line power. Switching VTEC on earlier could gain you more horsepower earlier but lose you torque which is low-end acceleration. If you really want more low end, a wilder non-vtec cam lobe and maybe some more compression in either valves or pistons will give you that, maybe even more timing etc. Hondata, and tuning my friend.

oh yeah, you already have a vtec switch, it's on the motor, if you want to lower the VTEC engagment point there are buddy club switches on egay that will let you lower the switch-over point, BUT usually VTEC kicks on around 4000rpm so leave it.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lonefuzzy79)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lonefuzzy79 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Switching VTEC on earlier could gain you more horsepower earlier but lose you torque which is low-end acceleration. </TD></TR></TABLE>

No, it really won't. All VTEC does is allow the engine to breathe better at high RPMs so the engine can continue to produce power throught the rev range. Having the valves open for that duration at low RPMs won't yeild anything. If it did, there wouldn't be VTEC at all, and Honda would just run the high cam profile all the time.

There's a reason the switchover point is where it is, and if there could be gains from having it some other way, it would have come like that from the factory. Of course, every motor is slightly different, so you can gain a few hp by dyno tuning, but not by just picking when to turn it on and off.

Old 03-27-2006, 08:29 AM

Default Re: VTEC on-off switch... (hondapowa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondapowa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Losing power how? VTEC is a sucker punch of power, right? Now turned on at my command can't go wrong... How would that be bad?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can turn on the VTEC solinoid, which will force oil into your cam, which will force the VTEC lobes on the cam to become active. That's super-duper!

Wait! You're still running the same ignition and fuel that's setup on your ECU, which can only be changed by chipping, which would make the VTEC switch useless.

If you just want the hands-on experience install a VTEC light as opposed to putting in a VTEC switch.

But if you still want to wire in a switch find a lead, run a wire from the lead to your switch, run a wire from the other prong on your switch to the lead on your VTEC solinoid.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AutoXer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No, it really won't. All VTEC does is allow the engine to breathe better at high RPMs so the engine can continue to produce power throught the rev range. Having the valves open for that duration at low RPMs won't yeild anything. If it did, there wouldn't be VTEC at all, and Honda would just run the high cam profile all the time.

There's a reason the switchover point is where it is, and if there could be gains from having it some other way, it would have come like that from the factory. Of course, every motor is slightly different, so you can gain a few hp by dyno tuning, but not by just picking when to turn it on and off.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would generally disagree with you on the point that you won't gain HP but at low RPM, who care if you get 10 more, you lose torque. I think the "sucker punch" he is talking about is the feeling of more power up top where the low-cam profile loses power and VTEC kicks in. I imagin looking at a HP curve there is a dip where VTEC kicks on so you might feel a boost in power after the low cam-profile peaks. Perhaps you would just be shifting the curve to the right, but somehow I don't think so.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:48 AM

Default Re: VTEC on-off switch... (Everyones Hero)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Everyones Hero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If you just want the hands-on experience install a VTEC light as opposed to putting in a VTEC switch.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

A VTEC light would only indicate when it's activated, what good would that do for me? Nothing but an indication of when it kicks in.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lonefuzzy79 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No one really thinks that VTEC is a sucker punch of power.... WOW. Ok well to answer your question would take a while but basically VTEC switches to a different cam lobe to open the valves further for longer duration, basically it allows you to run a wilder cam profile without the trouble of bad idle. However, VTEC gives more horsepower</TD></TR></TABLE>

You answered your own sarcasm... get prepared to get bashed back when you give me an assclown answer.... Easy on the sarcasm if you don't mind.

My deal with this is possibly a lower RPM engagement without looking for the right chip, possibly getting scammed, or paying massive amounts of money.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

um ok bash me noob.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:18 AM

What is the point of people being Jackasses, makes no sense to me. There are over 100 other EXTREMELY stupid posts and questions I have seen I could have been a ******** in, but no I kept myself out of them. If I can't get any decent and respectable responses, stay out of my thread.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:23 AM

Default Re: (hondapowa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondapowa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What is the point of people being Jackasses, makes no sense to me. There are over 100 other EXTREMELY stupid posts and questions I have seen I could have been a ******** in, but no I kept myself out of them. If I can't get any decent and respectable responses, stay out of my thread.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You were given responses. You will not have any net gains by installing a switch. The switch will activate the solinoid, but it will not do anything with the fuel or ignition timing.

Download and play with the program Crome. You'll understand what I mean by fuel and ignition timing, as well as really changing your VTEC engagement point.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hondapowa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondapowa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What is the point of people being Jackasses, makes no sense to me. There are over 100 other EXTREMELY stupid posts and questions I have seen I could have been a ******** in, but no I kept myself out of them. If I can't get any decent and respectable responses, stay out of my thread.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Extremely stupid posts huh? Well this is one of them. VTEC IS A SUCKA PUNCH OF POWA YO!!!! please drive your car into a wall and buy a saturn.

You basically ignored every bit of technical info that myself and others posted up. I imagine you have no idea what we are talking about. You sound like every other god damn noob that wants to feel the VTEC. You wont make more power, you wont feel more power, VTEC is not a turbo. Here is a hint. SEARCH. This has been covered many many many times. I even gave you a place to find what you are looking for. What kind of asshat are you?
Old 03-27-2006, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

basically all you'll run into is problems if you turn vtec off. your ecu is programmed to change the fuel mapping and pretty much everything about how it runs when VTEC kicks in. if you suddenly turn vtec off, your engine will run like crap once it gets past 5500, (and by the way, who said vtec kicks in at 4000???)

and i see where you're coming from with the experience part of it......but WHY would you ever want to turn VTEC off??
Old 03-27-2006, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NegativeXero)

I've seen this done, my friend once ghetto rigged the vtec, and loss power.. its better to run it with your ecu, rather than Ghetto Rigged...
Old 03-27-2006, 03:03 PM

Default Re: (7mile)

I can see it now... you get in your car, forget to switch it on and once it warms up you try to rev the **** out of your engine and it falls on it's face.

I've revved before the engine was warmed up so vtec wasn't working. Trust me... it's not something you want to do.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the problem isnt that the vtec lobes are too large and will kill power. i mean, you can run the vtec constant if you want. however, without tuning the fuel and ignition maps accordingly all you will be doing is starving the motor for fuel. by the way, this throws a SOLID CEL so you will be in "limp mode" 100% of the time with it like that as well, which is even worse for power. SO if you really want to make power, dont be cheap about it. buy H/I/E or boost.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

umm.. okay everyone... yes.. vtec is set at a certain position.. i had a p28 and i purpously disconnected the ecu from the vtec solinoid and put it on a switch.. a power wire to the switch then to the solinoid... and i can guarantee anybody 1000 bucks that my car made more power on the switch then on the untuned ecu..

why do u ask i can bet that much money?? because when u activate vtec from a switch.. the cam opens up and u keep the low cam fuel and ignition.. i ran my distributor 3 degrees advanced all the time.. so that takes care of that.. wich leans out the motor and makes it run harder.. its not good for it. no.. but it definately is faster..

ask anyone that has ridden in my car.. stock motor pulls to 9000 rpms through every gear except 5th d16z6.. also.. stock motor ran a 15.15 at the track 1/4 mile in a hatchback.. on 175 70 13 street tires

DONT DO IT BECAUSE YOU CAN SERIOUSLY expletive SOMETHING UP.. UNLESS YOUR WILLING TO TAKE THAT CHANCE
Old 03-27-2006, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (schardbody)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> this throws a SOLID CEL so you will be in "limp mode" 100% of the time </TD></TR></TABLE>

UMM NO.... the only way there would be a solid cel is the ecu is messed up.. the only way a 92-95 could be in limp mode is if the ecu is messed up... now 96-06 if there is a cel for vtec or anything .. it will be in limp mode governer at 5000 and it will show the code for what is wrong.. not a solid cel
Old 03-27-2006, 03:28 PM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (schardbody)

VTEC is not meant to be felt at all. Its the modifications we have done to our engines that allow you to HEAR or FEEL VTEC kick in. The entire point of VTEC was to keep usable power throughout the entire rev-range, while still maintaining a good idle and good gas milage.

A swtich would make you car run like ****, and probaly kill your gas milage as well. Factory fuel and ignition curvers are designed for VTEC to kick in at that certain spot and up. If you turn VTEC off via your switch, the ECU is still going to run the engine with the VTEC parameters, since you didn't tell it not to.

Get your ECU chipped if you really have your heart set on this.

http://www.pgmfi.org
Old 03-27-2006, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (siregcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by siregcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">umm.. okay everyone... yes.. vtec is set at a certain position.. i had a p28 and i purpously disconnected the ecu from the vtec solinoid and put it on a switch.. a power wire to the switch then to the solinoid... and i can guarantee anybody 1000 bucks that my car made more power on the switch then on the untuned ecu..

why do u ask i can bet that much money?? because when u activate vtec from a switch.. the cam opens up and u keep the low cam fuel and ignition.. i ran my distributor 3 degrees advanced all the time.. so that takes care of that.. wich leans out the motor and makes it run harder.. its not good for it. no.. but it definately is faster..

ask anyone that has ridden in my car.. stock motor pulls to 9000 rpms through every gear except 5th d16z6.. also.. stock motor ran a 15.15 at the track 1/4 mile in a hatchback.. on 175 70 13 street tires

DONT DO IT BECAUSE YOU CAN SERIOUSLY expletive SOMETHING UP.. UNLESS YOUR WILLING TO TAKE THAT CHANCE</TD></TR></TABLE>

the only reason you made more power is becuase you were running 3 more degrees base timing. It had nothing to do with VTEC. And how do you know you made more power? Did you put it on a dyno? 1/4 mile faster? Or did you just feel the mad powa yo!