Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Vtec.... or no vtec

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vtec.... or no vtec

Whats up guys, i just ran into and old friend of mine and it turns out he had an LS motor in his garage. He offered me it for 700. Its fine and not hot. Im planing to send it out to get built, becuase i want to run turbo on it. Now my question is should I leave it all LS and turbo it..... or should i slap on a vtec head and turbo it. I know you have to tune around vtec and all of that but really what should I do..?? Please give me as many opinions as you can. Please get back to me so i can get that head if i need to. Ill have pics soon.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:09 AM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Vtec.... or no vtec (dixie Normas7)

If you want to stay reliable, leave it alone and build up the internals. You will not be dissapointed.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:34 AM
grammer nawzi

Default Re: Vtec.... or no vtec (JDM_Ej)

Search? Just a thought
Old 04-13-2006, 01:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would say Vtec head, it will be more fun, plus you'll be getting a double kick...turbo AND vtec! Do it!
Old 04-13-2006, 02:18 AM

Default Re: Vtec.... or no vtec (polak182)

id just go with some crower cams, ive heard a few people have problems with reliability when u put the vtec head on.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:29 AM

Its really an either or... i want it to be very reliable but at the same time i love when vtec kicks in and screams... I have no clue. Ill probably just sleeve it do some minor head work on the LS head and see how it goes and if i get bored Ill look into a b16 head.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go to http://www.goldeneaglemfg.com buy the Vtec Conersion system. should run you about $250 put a Vtec head on the LS. with GE kit it makes it simple and very realiable. and if your gonna build you wont have to worry about the LS block getting owned. So just do that you will be so happy you went with the vtec head instead of the regular LS. believe me.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:14 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Vtec.... or no vtec (DoctorVtec)

Wow every single one of you except doctorvtec is a ******* idiot.

Since when is LS/VTEC unreliable? If done correctly it will be just as reliable as anything else. Also any VTEC head will outflow that stock pos they call the LS head greatly. If you have the money to "get it built", do it right, get a VTEC head and you will make A LOT more power.

It's not an either or. It's a yes you should buy a vtec head if you have the money, period.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Vtec.... or no vtec (GetawayInMoscow)

a vtec head will flow more/better with no problems
Old 04-13-2006, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vtec.... or no vtec (honda head)

hell yea v-tec much more power...
Old 04-13-2006, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey, not all of us claimed it was unreliable...the only reason people theorize that the frankenstien motor is unreliable is because Stock Vtec motors have a zero-balanced crankshaft, whereas the Non-vtec motors(LS) do not, so if you don't pull the revs up to 9,000, you'll be fine. Keep the redline no more than 7K, and the motor is just as reliable as an LS motor with some headwork,sleeves and some beefier pistons.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:10 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Vtec.... or no vtec (polak182)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by polak182 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey, not all of us claimed it was unreliable...the only reason people theorize that the frankenstien motor is unreliable is because Stock Vtec motors have a zero-balanced crankshaft, whereas the Non-vtec motors(LS) do not, so if you don't pull the revs up to 9,000, you'll be fine. Keep the redline no more than 7K, and the motor is just as reliable as an LS motor with some headwork,sleeves and some beefier pistons. </TD></TR></TABLE>

No, but you were talking about double kick like some kind of ricer.

Keep the redline at 7k? Than what's the point of the VTEC head? **** better tell all those people with LS/VTEC revving to 9,000 RPM that their engine is going to blow.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GetawayInMoscow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No, but you were talking about double kick like some kind of ricer.

Keep the redline at 7k? Than what's the point of the VTEC head? **** better tell all those people with LS/VTEC revving to 9,000 RPM that their engine is going to blow.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i rev to 7k in my single cam
Old 04-14-2006, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vtec.... or no vtec (HXvtec)

Ls vtec turbo!!!!....I have 's vtec..I beat the **** out of mine..wit 10k on her..and running better then ever..hhahahahah
Old 04-14-2006, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vtec.... or no vtec (jdmjaser)

Ive got an lsvtec in my eg and I love it (more details in sig). I set my redline @ 8200 and it has been there more than a few times Ive had the motor in the car for a year now and was driving it daily up until about a month ago, no problems but now Im startin to notice a lil piston slap and what sounds like a knock in the bottom end,.... that may sound really un-reliable to a lot of folks on here but considering how hard Ive been driving the car (every day) it has stood up waaaaay better than I would have imagined. Im gonna tear it down in the next few weeks and do a basic rebuild (rings, bearings, and a hone,... or bore if need be).If you are gonna do it, go ahead and spend the money on hondata,... it will save your #3 cylinders life!!
LEANING CYLINDERS SUCK!!
Old 04-14-2006, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vtec.... or no vtec (HXvtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GetawayInMoscow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
better tell all those people with LS/VTEC revving to 9,000 RPM that their engine is going to blow.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Most people already know. There's more to consider than just valvetrain when deciding a safe limit. Oil squirters and rod/stroke ratio are two good things to consider.