Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Vtec Mini Me Swap: Help, I Think My Vtec Is Stuck On!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vtec Mini Me Swap: Help, I Think My Vtec Is Stuck On!

I recently did a mini me on my 93 civic dx with the stock d15b7 in it and was wondering what is going on with it. It doesnt feel any faster it actually feels slower the lower rpm i am going. its so sluggish starting off and if im at anything less than 4,000rpm. also my engine light will only be on when i hook the p28 ecu up. so could it be that my vtec is stuck on thats y it only will get on it when its gets to a certain rpm. also because even if i hit like 5200 or whenever it shuld kik in it doesnt feel any different but there is a whining noise or sumthin like vtec is kicking in but it does it all the time just louder the higher rpm im at. also my car will idle funny and jump up and down after its warmed up but i think its the intake air volume controller or sumthing correct me if im wrong please. and if you can verify whats wrong or let me know would u let me know if i cant just clean the vtec mechanism and it unlock or what because i already spent over $500 EXTRA having to get more parts because of the crap that the person off ebay sent me. thanks - T85
Old 11-16-2006, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Vtec Mini Me Swap: Help, I Think My Vtec Is Stuck On! (Racer85)

BUMP
Old 11-16-2006, 06:22 PM

honestly ud have to get factory range charts for the sensors in the car and visually see the voltage change to the ECU because it sounds like u have more then just 1 major problem. so the reason i suggest what i said is so your not like every monkey changing parts till u think its right. ask around on how you could just the solenoid and hear a click , cuz i think nothing will happen with out oil pressure im not sure try do to it with the car on so nothing gets messed up. so oil is circulating. and as for as your idle goes try different IAC idle air control's if their available. and if you have a certain manifold it could get confusing with the fast idle cams. some times u need to adjust em. and u dont have to worry about mass air flows cuz u have a stupid map sensor that Honda Used. so honestly ud have to do be a tech. with factory specs (Range charts ohm's, and Voltage readings for signals and returns) to make this one rite. MAKE SURE UR MATCHING PARTS!
Old 11-16-2006, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vtec Mini Me Swap: Help, I Think My Vtec Is Stuck On! (hipity_hopity_mt)

did you manually wire in vtec??

also pull off your intake and inside there are two holes inside the tb plug one of them up at a time and see if your idle lowers

if i were you i would try using your d15b7 throttle body also, make sure you are using the right map sensor wiring
Old 11-16-2006, 06:33 PM

Just curious...what kind of **** happened on Ebay? Did the dude send you wrong parts, shitty parts, etc.

I only ask because most people can get thier MiniMe's put together for LESS than 500, let alone 500 EXTRA.

Good luck with your problem.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:46 PM

Default Re: (I Shot 50 Cent)

Yea he sold me the head, intake manifold, and throttle body with the vtec soleniod and distributor but all of the parts were so corroded it wasnt even funny. Also the Vtec soleniod was busted and the distributor cap was busted and the interior shield inside was busted. It also locked up and stripped the camgear bolt when we tried to get it to TDC cus he sent it with the up mark pointing straight down. It was garbage and now I have all these extra parts I need to get rid of but I dont want to be bogus to anyone else so I was thinking of selling them on Ebay and suggesting only to use for the internals because we had it on once and it ran but since the Vtec soleniod was so trashed we went to a junkyard wo get another one and now so many thing went wrong because of it I didnt just spend about $500 on the ECU, Head, gaskets, ETC. but also trying to get other parts and replacements about $300 on other crap I wouldnt of had to buy if the stuff was good in the first place. So if anyone is interest I have ALOT of parts including: D15B7 Head, Intake Manifold, Throttle Body(All D15B7 parts are in great condition that came off of my car.) and also a D16Z6 head and intake manifold and throttle body and vtec soleniod thats pretty corroded. If anyone is interest let me know trust me Im not going to rip you off they will be going really cheap.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Racer85)

Yeah same kinda **** happened to me on ebay when i tried to do my mini me. So i stopped using egay. Today i found out someone has been selling Dodge Chargers with my account. Now my account is locked. Im glad, i hope i never use egay again, it blows. The only time ive ever not been screwed is when i bought my shocks.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:21 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Racer85 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my engine light will only be on when i hook the p28 ecu up</TD></TR></TABLE>
What CEL code is it storing?
Old 11-16-2006, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vtec Mini Me Swap: Help, I Think My Vtec Is Stuck On! (Targa250R)

does it feel like you're towing something or the ebrake is up below 4k? sounds like it could be timing. the harder you push the pedal, the slower it goes

as for the check engine light, are you sure you wired vtec right? check your codes, see what you're throwing with it.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:10 PM
Bounty - € 8,000,000

Default Re: (I Shot 50 Cent)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I Shot 50 Cent &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just curious...what kind of **** happened on Ebay? Did the dude send you wrong parts, shitty parts, etc.

I only ask because most people can get thier MiniMe's put together for LESS than 500, let alone 500 EXTRA.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually the FAQ written by Bauley Civic averages a perfectly (non-ghetto rigged) Mini Me Swap for around $500. He spent around $560 on his. I spent about $580 on mine. It really depends on how much you get the cylinder head for, whether used or new, rebuilt, etc.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Racer85 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I recently did a mini me on my 93 civic dx with the stock d15b7 in it and was wondering what is going on with it. It doesnt feel any faster it actually feels slower the lower rpm i am going. its so sluggish starting off and if im at anything less than 4,000rpm. also my engine light will only be on when i hook the p28 ecu up. so could it be that my vtec is stuck on thats y it only will get on it when its gets to a certain rpm. also because even if i hit like 5200 or whenever it shuld kik in it doesnt feel any different but there is a whining noise or sumthin like vtec is kicking in but it does it all the time just louder the higher rpm im at. also my car will idle funny and jump up and down after its warmed up but i think its the intake air volume controller or sumthing correct me if im wrong please. and if you can verify whats wrong or let me know would u let me know if i cant just clean the vtec mechanism and it unlock or what because i already spent over $500 EXTRA having to get more parts because of the crap that the person off ebay sent me. thanks - T85</TD></TR></TABLE>

On a single cam, you're typically not going to feel any "kick" whatsoever, although I've heard of it being possible with the D16Y8's.
You could start off by checking your ECU Codes and tell us what codes your ecu is throwing.
Also you might wanna check the FAQ section to go over the Mini-Me swap guide that was written.

Grounding your VTEC coolant temperature sensor and hooking up the VTEC spool solenoid to a direct 12 volt power source could make the engine run in it's higher cam profile aka VTEC, however I don't think that's the problem with yours.
My wild guess is that ur using the wrong cam gear, or distibutor, or both. I'm pretty sure that ur way off timing one way or another for having such weak acceleration until higher rpm's.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:24 PM
ham
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

just by reading your first post i got the impression that you have your timing belt off a tooth.