Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

VTEC Head Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VTEC Head Swap

I'm planning on putting the D15 VTEC head onto my 95 D15 non-VTEC motor. What parts will I need for it besides the head itself??? And where would I be able to get said parts? Which year and model VTEC head would be best for the most gain? I should also let you know too that I am planning on boosting it with a turbo build that I spotted for the extra pick up and go.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: VTEC Head Swap

What car do you have? What trim...si ex?

What ECU do you currently have?
Old 12-23-2010, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WHY THE HELL DOES EVERYONE WANNA RUN A D15 Vtec head? unless you just have one laying around its better to just have a z6 or y8 head. you would have many more options down the road if you ever wanted to install a cam. the d15 head does not make any more power because it has 2 stage vtec and roller rockers. if your boosting it i would prefer the z6 head the y8 does not really like any advanced ignition and seems to be alil harder for people to tune. when ever running a y8 head on a obd1 ecu you have to run a z6 timing gear . which will throw cam timing out 4.5 degrees and will need adjusted with whatever software u use to tune. its possible but many people that don't know what their doing tend to get lost.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:50 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

He may be referring to the SOHC VTEC D15B cylinder head, nearly identical to the Z6 head.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by apexi_rsx
WHY THE HELL DOES EVERYONE WANNA RUN A D15 Vtec head? unless you just have one laying around its better to just have a z6 or y8 head. you would have many more options down the road if you ever wanted to install a cam. the d15 head does not make any more power because it has 2 stage vtec and roller rockers. if your boosting it i would prefer the z6 head the y8 does not really like any advanced ignition and seems to be alil harder for people to tune. when ever running a y8 head on a obd1 ecu you have to run a z6 timing gear . which will throw cam timing out 4.5 degrees and will need adjusted with whatever software u use to tune. its possible but many people that don't know what their doing tend to get lost.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And this is exactly why I asked. I'm looking at putting a VTEC head on there. It's a 95 Civic DX with the D15 non-VTEC and 5 speed manual trans. Everything is stock. And I mean everything. So if you could, please just give me a simpled out answer concerning which one would be best to install onto my car. Please and Thank You.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Actually the 92-95 jdm d15b head has a better cam than the usdm z6 head. Same casting, same valvetrain, same everything, just with a better cam.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by speedooo
Actually the 92-95 jdm d15b head has a better cam than the usdm z6 head. Same casting, same valvetrain, same everything, just with a better cam.
Oooooh shut down the haters lol.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just leave what u have and turbo it .. Vtec in a d series is not going to net much more power. ive seen boosted y7's that make the same power with the same turbo as my z6. id sell it for money toward your turbo kit. or keep it and build it and port n polish it then put it on there.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Didn't you know? Vtec is cool.