Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

VTEC-e Engines

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VTEC-e Engines

So I found a '92 Civic VX with a VTEC-e engine. Lots of body work done to fix rust and it appears to have actually been done right. 150k miles. Overall in very good shape. Buying for commuter car. Hope to get at least another 100k out of it.

Not a whole lot of info on these engines. Besides how they work and the MPG . Any notable common issues pertaining to this particular drive train?
Old 08-28-2014, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VTEC-e Engines

mine seeps some oil every now and then but runs like a champ. Clean out the intake and egr and kep the 13" VX wheels with 175 mm tires and youll have a nice commuter.

Check the O2 sensor, they are pretty expensive ($300) if it is bad but will pay for itself after you replace a bad one just based on fuel savings

I drive mine over 100 miles daily and have been getting high 40's to low 50's MPG consistently.

Buy a mpGuino to keep track of your mileage and help with your driving techniques. its tough to master lean burn
Old 08-28-2014, 12:28 PM
yippee-ki-yay

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ecomodder.com will have a lot more on the D15Z1 engine.

Mine has 226k, doesn't leak or burn any oil. I run Motul 8100 Eco-negy 100% synthetic 0W-30 oil. I believe one common problem with the civic transmission is the input shaft bearing. Other than that, not much trouble.

Enjoy the car!

eH.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its pretty exciting to be possibly joining the MPG Cult....

Out of curiosity, what did you guys pay for yours? I've noticed the market value is a bit higher than kbb for these things.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love the VX! I bought my 1994 VX in 2008 with 175k miles on it for $3k. That might be a bit high compared to today's prices, but it's paid for itself 2x over. People sometimes ask $4-5k, but deals can still be found.

I highly recommend an mpguino, which will help maximize your fuel economy. The VTEC-E can be a bit finicky to get running perfectly, but it's worth it. You just have to accept that you'll get passed by everyone on the road.

Lean burn can certainly be tricky to master, and the mpguino can help identify how much throttle/rpm you can apply before popping out of economy mode. The NTK 24300 O2 sensor is known to be a good replacement for OEM, and can generally be found for $100-200. Keep the tires inflated and a light right foot.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My boy has a EK Civic HX which im sure its the vtec-e engine.... (d16y5 if I remember correctly)

but from what I know the engine is good, and saves alot of gas, if you do get that car with 150k miles I suggest that you do a tune up, oil change and change your timing belt and water pump when you first get it .... should easily last you another 100k miles as long as you treat it right and change the oil every 3k miles

you'll probably waste 200 in parts AT MOST if you do all that by yourself, but your car will be set
Old 08-28-2014, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The VX/HX O2 sensors are no longer that expensive. OEM brand sensors (NTK) are going for $150 now that all the tuners switched over to newer O2 sensors.

The VTEC-E engines are not that different from any other Honda engine. They have EGR just like many Accords do. The EGR system and intake manifold need to be cleaned out periodically. Other than that it's the standard coil/ignitor issues that plague all the other pre-distributorless ignition engines. The cat converter is on the exhaust manifold and is kinda pricey, so keep the engine tuned up so you don't destroy it. Exhausts from other models don't reach because of the different converter placement. The d15z1 came with a light weight flywheel so get it resurfaced rather than replaced. The d15z1 uses the same distributor as the D16z6 and no other will work.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:34 PM
yippee-ki-yay

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Woogies
Its pretty exciting to be possibly joining the MPG Cult....

Out of curiosity, what did you guys pay for yours? I've noticed the market value is a bit higher than kbb for these things.
I bought mine last September (09/2013) with 224.5k for $2,800. I've put close to 4k into the car since then. Rebuild transmission, new clutch, timing belt, water pump, new bushings and entirely new/used upgraded suspension. And then desired extras as well - vacuum gauge, hardtop center console, powder coated valve cover, rear speakers and other OEM goodies.

I'm not trying to justify my purchases through gas savings. The car is in excellent shape and I enjoy "working" it. A hobby.

eH.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool guys thanks, some excellent info, keep it coming!

I'm a real grandpa when it comes to driving, I'm used to being passed. I'll look into the mpguino, although I fear if I have real time MPG it'll make it a competition for me to see how high I can get the MPG... I'll probably go mental. haha

According to the seller car has had a 'tune up', new brakes, tires, "high flow cat", new OEM Muffler, headers, clutch, throw out bearing and CV Drive shafts. Nothing about the timing belt or water pump, but I'm guessing it's near that time... Yayyyy!

I've seen some VX's go for ridiculous prices with twice the miles and half the shape! So I think this may be a dealio.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm a real grandpa when it comes to driving, I'm used to being passed. I'll look into the mpguino, although I fear if I have real time MPG it'll make it a competition for me to see how high I can get the MPG... I'll probably go mental. haha

According to the seller car has had a 'tune up', new brakes, tires, "high flow cat", new OEM Muffler, headers, clutch, throw out bearing and CV Drive shafts. Nothing about the timing belt or water pump, but I'm guessing it's near that time... Yayyyy!

I've seen some VX's go for ridiculous prices with twice the miles and half the shape! So I think this may be a dealio.
Make sure the car still has the original motor and transmission. If it has a "high flow cat". It most likely has had some other modifications to increase horse power and decrease economy.

As mentioned keep your tires over inflated, they are unique little cars that are actually quite fun to drive. You'll find yourself wanting to fill up to see what mileage you have been getting if you don't get a mpguino lol

My 1996 hx has 294k miles on the motor

Last edited by chrysler kid; 08-29-2014 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like he modified the car somewhat so your gas mileage would probably be lower.... I wouldnt trust the seller so I would still do the tune up but first check your spark plugs and see if theyre somewhat new.... oil change is mandatory when you first get it...

The timing belt and water pump shouldnt be so hard, youll be alright....

If you feel the price is right go for it.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a vx, 5th gear was pretty much pointless the gears are really long. Don't expect to be breaking any speed records either.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:47 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Its a VX, built for better mpg.