Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

vtec air/fuel question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vtec air/fuel question?

i just bought an apexi vtec air/fuel controller vafc1 from a buddy of my buddy.does anyone have one. do you guys have any info on it? what are some of the settings on it like throttle position, etc and do any of you have some settings to improve my performance? as you can tell, im new with a b16
Old 08-23-2008, 09:53 PM
nub
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: vtec air/fuel question? (eastbayg)

Resale it and try to make a couple bucks. Useless unless your'e into lightshows
Old 08-23-2008, 10:03 PM

Default Re: vtec air/fuel question? (nub)

Yeah sell it dude unless you got some mods done to your car to where you need something like that. And if you dont know what your doing with it you could EASILY screw something up esp. the air fuel ratio... Had that thing in my 00 si when i got it, all stock and the previous owner tinkered with it and it made the car run shitty... first thing i did was have it taken out and it ran 110% better no bullshit
Old 08-24-2008, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: vtec air/fuel question? (wh1zd0m)

what would you guys recommend as opposed to that device? anything else i can install? i dont like my vtec engaging at 4800, it sux, i know it'll be better in the mid to high 5000's. advise?
Old 08-24-2008, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eastbayg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what would you guys recommend as opposed to that device? anything else i can install? i dont like my vtec engaging at 4800, it sux, i know it'll be better in the mid to high 5000's. advise?</TD></TR></TABLE>

How did you come to that brilliant conclusion?

VTEC only engages at 4800 RPM when you're at full throttle, it is a bit higher when you're not on the throttle as hard, 4800 is just the floor (minimum) engagement point.

It will NOT be better at other RPM, it's designed for maximum efficiency, maximum efficiency translates into maximum HP. Unless it's modded (and intake/header/exhaust don't really count as mods for this because they won't affect VTEC any, they just help the engine breathe better), you do not need to change the VTEC engagement point.

OEM VTEC engagement point is always best on a stock or I/H/E motor.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: vtec air/fuel question? (Syndacate)

im also plannin on messin with the heads a little. for ex: cam gear, cam shaft and valve train upgrade.

what im basically trying to do is a somewhat mild build. im keeping it all motor and am not gonna turbo or super it. i have intake/headers/exhaust already. im gonna do the heads, what i want to know is how to tune the computer. shall i go with a chipped ecu, vafc, or other options that i dont know about. need advise
Old 08-24-2008, 02:55 PM

Don't guess at your air/fuel ratios. I'd say get a wideband oxygen sensor first and keep an eye on where you are starting from before you make any adjustments.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:41 AM

nice post count but gotta argue with you on vtec setting for a b16

they need vtec at 5500-5800 not 4800 sounds like he is using a p28 ecu

vafc - meh better off getting your ecu chipped/tuned
Old 08-25-2008, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How did you come to that brilliant conclusion?

VTEC only engages at 4800 RPM when you're at full throttle, it is a bit higher when you're not on the throttle as hard, 4800 is just the floor (minimum) engagement point.

It will NOT be better at other RPM, it's designed for maximum efficiency, maximum efficiency translates into maximum HP. Unless it's modded (and intake/header/exhaust don't really count as mods for this because they won't affect VTEC any, they just help the engine breathe better), you do not need to change the VTEC engagement point.

OEM VTEC engagement point is always best on a stock or I/H/E motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well said!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eastbayg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im also plannin on messin with the heads a little. for ex: cam gear, cam shaft and valve train upgrade.

what im basically trying to do is a somewhat mild build. im keeping it all motor and am not gonna turbo or super it. i have intake/headers/exhaust already. im gonna do the heads, what i want to know is how to tune the computer. shall i go with a chipped ecu, vafc, or other options that i dont know about. need advise</TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds like you need to get your p28 socketed and a p30 basemap. do what you do and then get it tuned. stay away from VAFC thats crap and no good for honda's
like said, "unless you want the light show"
lmk when your ready to have ecu work done!