Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

VSS (vehicle speed sensor) code error

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 12:06 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSS (vehicle speed sensor) code error

I cant tell how fast Im going.. my mph gauge isnt working. I also have an error code for the vss of course. I just did a gsr swap into an ek. I used the non-vtec harness from the civic and now the vss doesnt work. everything else works fine. I tried switching the sensors from my single cam onto the gsr and its still the same problem.. can anyone tell me whats wrong? what can i do about it? I dont want a speeding TICKET!!
Old 03-26-2008, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: VSS (vehicle speed sensor) code error (562daybid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 562daybid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I cant tell how fast Im going.. my mph gauge isnt working. I also have an error code for the vss of course. I just did a gsr swap into an ek. I used the non-vtec harness from the civic and now the vss doesnt work. everything else works fine. I tried switching the sensors from my single cam onto the gsr and its still the same problem.. can anyone tell me whats wrong? what can i do about it? I dont want a speeding TICKET!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

double check your work. whether it's a vtec or non-vtec they both have the harness clip for the vss. double check, make sure you hooked up the roght clip, make sure there is no breaks in the wire as well.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:42 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: VSS (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

double check your work. whether it's a vtec or non-vtec they both have the harness clip for the vss. double check, make sure you hooked up the roght clip, make sure there is no breaks in the wire as well.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
well there are 2 plugs that fits exactly into the vss.. I tried switching them around but still have errrors and my gauge still doesnt work..
Old 03-27-2008, 10:17 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: VSS (562daybid)

does anyone know the answer? Im using my single cam harness odb2 for the jdm gsr odb2. theres like 2 plugs for the vss that fits right in. I tried switchin it around and my mph gauge still doesnt work
Old 03-27-2008, 11:14 AM

I'm having the same issue with the usdm b-series engine i swapped in last weekend. Here is a link to the suggestions/ responses I have recieved today.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2261211
Are you having idleing issues as well or are your lights dimming like mine?? keep me informed if you find a solution that works for you and I'll do the same. feel free to leave a post on my thread and keep me updated.
-alleks-
Old 03-27-2008, 12:32 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: VSS (allEKs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allEKs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm having the same issue with the usdm b-series engine i swapped in last weekend. Here is a link to the suggestions/ responses I have recieved today.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2261211
Are you having idleing issues as well or are your lights dimming like mine?? keep me informed if you find a solution that works for you and I'll do the same. feel free to leave a post on my thread and keep me updated.
-alleks-</TD></TR></TABLE>
yeah Ill tell you all the codes... cel 41, 17, 7, 9.. hahah its weird because 7 and 9 werent on before. I did some more wire cutting because I had a check engine light of 10 which was the IAT sensor wire. Then I found out that theres 2 for the intake manifold and one was unplugged.. After some mods I plugged that up and the error code was gone for 10. so number 7 is the cyp cylinder error and number 9 is the tps sensor or throttle position sensor which doesnt make sense because Its plugged in and I never touched the wire. Also my engine idle high like almost around 2,000 but a lil below.. when I put the car in neutral it sounds like its in gear. Sounds like a highly modified engine but its bone stock.. I adjusted the screw on the throttlebody and even loosened the throttle cable just in case it was too tight.. same thing..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdb1knsNSi8
Old 03-28-2008, 06:16 AM

Default Re: VSS (vehicle speed sensor) code error (562daybid)

I fixed my problem yesterday. My lights where flickering and my speedometer wasn't working even after changing the alternator . What it ended up being was the alternator/vss fuse . I guess the fuse that was in there wasn't strong enough for the new voltage of the b-series alternator. b/c i replaced the fuse with a 7.5 and it blew again, but when i replaced it with a 15 fuse and dis/reconnected the battery, the speedometer started working fine and the alternator worked properly w/ no light flickering. Hope this helps you. Just my .02 wish you the best , now I have to move on to find my oil leak and get the other engine codes and kinks out.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:39 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: VSS (allEKs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allEKs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I fixed my problem yesterday. My lights where flickering and my speedometer wasn't working even after changing the alternator . What it ended up being was the alternator/vss fuse . I guess the fuse that was in there wasn't strong enough for the new voltage of the b-series alternator. b/c i replaced the fuse with a 7.5 and it blew again, but when i replaced it with a 15 fuse and dis/reconnected the battery, the speedometer started working fine and the alternator worked properly w/ no light flickering. Hope this helps you. Just my .02 wish you the best , now I have to move on to find my oil leak and get the other engine codes and kinks out.</TD></TR></TABLE>
oh ****.. no wonder my alternator didnt work also.. I had the car running and took of the battery plug and it shut off.. I was like wtf?? the alternators not working.. so its the fuse????? I mean your right.. I thought my alternator wasnt working. it almost drained all my battery and thats why my car almost didnt start last night along with the vss not working.. it makes sense.. so just change the fuse for the alternator fuse?? okay thank you so much!!! that helped alot and explained everything.. well what other codes you have???
Old 03-28-2008, 04:12 PM
* B A N N E D *

Thank God! I fixed every error except for the secondary 02 sensor which is suppose to be plugged in for the cat on my single cam since theres a cat on the stock headers.. Im still tryin to bypass the error code 41 but dont know how.. also my VSS vehicle speed sensor still doesnt work.. I cant see how fast Im driving!! does anyone know why it doesnt work? im using the single cam harness for the gsr swap and theres 2 plugs that plugs right into the vss.. if you plug 1 into the vss sensor the other one just hangs out unplugged.. I tried switching between them and it still doesnt work.. im not gettin an error code on it either #17.. HELP!!
Old 03-28-2008, 05:16 PM
* B A N N E D *

any?? HELP ME!! I BEG OF U FOR MERCY!!!
Old 06-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would like to know as well, what colors are used for the vss? i have a 92 eg with a b18b1 and cable b16 trans swapped in. The speedometer isnt working for me as well. When the check engine light comes on the car will not go passed 6k is this usually the case with code 17?? sorry to thread jack