Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

victor.m's 94 EJ1 build

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default victor.m's 94 EJ1 build

Well, here's my '94 EJ1. Got it about a month ago, and started working on it slowly. It had a few things wrong with it, so I've started to slowly take care of them. It also has a JDM D15B SOHC VTEC in there, so it's what I'm gonna be working with until I get a B16 swap.

What I've done so far:

- Fixed the driver side lock; got a whole new assembly as the old one had a rod broken off and had one of the rod connectors busted

- Found a 12v cig lighter cap, it was missing one so I picked it up at the junkyard

- Fixed the passenger side power window switch..the switch would open the window but not close it, got one at the junkyard and now it works a charm

- New gas cap, again courtesy of junkyard - the "Honda Motor Co."
and "CAUTION OPEN SLOWLY" was faded on my old one. New one looks nice and slick.

- Junkyard to the rescue once more, gut new hoses for my windshield washers - previous one was busted. Works very nice now, have some nice windshield washing fluid in there too instead of just water.

- The valve cover. Ripped one off a D15B at the junkyard (not enough experience to take the whole motor and couldn't test it to know if it was good, I wish I could've just taken the whole thing though) and got working with a friend to get it nice and polished, then painted. Pics will show.

- Yellow ricer H's came off; got brand new stock H's for the front and back. Looking a lot nicer

- Shinier oil cap, just regular stock black one.

- AEM Short Ram Intake..I know, it's no CAI, but I'm in Florida and when the flooding gets going, the CAI turns out to be a bad idea.

- Small little detail but the passenger side seat was missing the rubber cover on the back handle to push the seat up. Got that at the junkyard. I like to pay attention to these little details

- Kenwood speakers for the front and back; 140W Peak/28 RMS for the front (5.25") and 160W Peak/32 RMS for the back (6.5"). It's no Infinity but ALL the speakers were blown when I got the car, so it'll do for now. $80 for all 4 at my local pepboys, it was an impulse buy.

SO, as an intermission, lets go on to some pictures!

Here's my baby (needs some body work here and there as can be noticed):

Look at that terrible yellow H...what were they thinking?!

Pretty big dent on the driver-side door there. I know, I need new rims. Badly. I'm working on it.

Again, the yellow H kills me. Glad it's off now.

Psht, my EJ1 TRYING to be all sexy.

Now, here's the engine bay BEFORE my new valve cover:

Break fluid was low..got it replenished.

Here's the new valve cover...

Before:

After:

If anyone wants to see the whole photostream of my friend and I polishing+painting:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v...2468/

And also, ta-da, the new H's!

Front:

Back:

My friend's '06 Eclipse GS in the back there..psht. He has nothing on me ;p

So I think that's all the pics..for now. Here are the things I have planned for the near future:

- Cat converter. Need one pretty badly, my car sounds like a mad bumblebee when I rev it. Really sucks, and besides, it's pretty illegal not to have one (I blame the previous owner).
- Fix up all the small dents, and especially the door dent. Want my body smooth again, I'm having a bodyshop do it as I'm not sure how well I could do it myself and don't want to mess with my car's body.
- H/E, already took car of I. Definietely need something nicer in that department. Thinking GReddy SUS headers / EVO2 Catback exhaust. Opinions?

- Then we'll see where it goes from there..can't plan too far ahead ;p

So there you go! Hopefully I'll be able to show some decent progress up until summer

Modified by victor.m at 10:13 PM 2/17/2008
Old 02-17-2008, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: victor.m's 94 EJ1 build (victor.m)

The EJ1 is my favorite of all the civics. The color is also my favorite. Try and take care of it. You can get "California Car Covers" for about 180 and will help block a great deal of UV... just a thought. Overall the car looks clean.

As for engine mods, I wouldn't spend any money by getting a header etc. If anything I would save up a little and possibly do a swap.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:00 PM

Yup, I also love the EJ1 and LOVE this black..I just need to get all the dings and whatnot take car of so it looks really smooth. I hate all the little dents .

With the cover you mean an actual car cover for the whole car when it's parked or to protect the interior? I looked up the website for California Car Covers and it looks worth the investment.

Thanks for the opinion with the mods..I think you're right, I'm just gonna save for the B16 or if I can wait long enough B18c-R swap I wanna do. But before I want to get everything aesthetically nice, and in the meantime also new shocks, coilovers, etc. Engine can wait; I have to cope with my slow auto for now.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (victor.m)

nice valve cover. my v/c said honda in big letters I always wanted the ones that say vtec but it doesnt matter my current v/c say dohc vtec anyways. thank god you got rid of those emblems lol very rice. i say you lower the bad boy but nice ej1 and good luck with it
Old 02-17-2008, 09:12 PM

Thanks, the valve cover took me a whole sunday with nothing else better to do, lol I'm gonna paint my spare one black and see how I like it. And yah the emblems were terrible, he had actually glued the front one right over the stock H which was in pretty bad shape and SCREWED the back one into the stock H back there..I was horrified.

I plan on lowering once I get new shocks with coilovers..I need that to get it lowered, right? It's riding a bit high right now indeed everything with time I guess, before I head off to UF I'll have it riding lower (I hope!).
Old 02-17-2008, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

may i suggest this setup for a shock/coil-over supension setup. Koni yellow shocks and Ground Control coil-overs
Old 02-17-2008, 09:36 PM

Looks like a good setup. Are these the Ground Control coilovers you refer to?

http://www.ground-control-stor...CA=55

Probably gonna have to wait 'til after summer for those, but they look like a nice investment.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What are your plans for this car? Strictly DD or do you intend to do a motor swap and drag/auto-x?

Figure out your plans first before you go overkill on any parts you may purchase.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah those are it but check out the marketplace threads in the Wheels, Tires, and Suspension category. We have sponsors on honda-tech that sell GC coil-overs to HT members for cheaper prices.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:52 PM

Will take a look at the marketplace.

As for my plans, I plan to keep it my DD for now but I want some snap with it and eventually take it to the track after I get a swap. It's an auto right now so I really need a swap with a manual tranny before I can have any fun :/

Eventually I'm getting an '08 (or 09, depends on how long it takes to get the cash for down payment) Si and keeping this as a weekend car..but we'll see. I'm open to reccomendations on the parts, as I'll be honest I don't know much about the world of Honda aftermarket (or OEM) parts as of right now. Basically I don't want anything just for track - I want to be able to drive it on the road having some fun but also have an ok ride for the track whenever there's something like Moroso Midnight Madness
Old 02-18-2008, 08:25 PM

Made my cluster red today

Thansk to a DIY here on honda-tech..next I have to do the watch, back defroster, and cruise..but I'll get it out of the way later this week when I have time off work.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:50 PM
I C U P

nice ej, i'd definately lower it asap though, then do the auto-manual conversion when you drop in a b