Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Vibration at start up - Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration at start up - Troubleshooting

I'm looking for some suggestions on what to look at, and if it sounds like something I even need to worry about too much.

I have a '00 EX Coupe, AT with 184k on it. Just recently I've started getting a significant vibration seemingly coming from in front of the firewall. It only shows itself when I initially start the car. Idle doesn't seem any higher than usual. I notice it as I back out of my garage, it is exacerbated a bit by my turning the wheel as I back out. Shift into drive and roll off. Nothing unusual as I pull away from my house. If I hit the light about 1 minute outside of my neighborhood, there is nothing awry as I idle there.

In the last couple days, this noise seems to be accompanied by a rattle/clank that I hear as soon as the motor starts. Yesterday afternoon it was particularly loud, but this morning it was less noticeable. When I restarted the car after my hour long commute home, I didn't hear much of anything.

I sat in the garage yesterday after work and revved the motor to see if there was a point where vibrations would kick in. I noticed what sounded like a slight vibration around 2100 rpm. That was it really. I get no strange noises or vibrations turning at low speed any other time, so I don't think it is related to the PS.

The only other thing I can add is that I first started hearing a "new" rattle noise after getting some work done on the car. New ball joint on one side, new muffler, and replaced a torn steering rack boot. That noise literally lasted for a second after hitting the gas from a complete stop. It also only showed itself (it seemed) near the end of my commute when the roads were wet. Only once was I able to get the rattle to sound when starting the car, and again that was at the end of the commute when it was raining. That noise seemed to come from the passenger side somewhere. The muffler looks squared away though.

I've had my cat heat shield go bad years back, and this is a different rattle/vibration. Anything in there that could go bad at this point to check? Motor mounts? Only one has been replaced in the car's lifetime. I thought bad motor mounts would give vibration under throttle too. Everything is fine when I am driving.

Like I said, the noise doesn't bother me, I just want to make sure it is not a warning sign of something that is damaging the motor. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vibration at start up - Troubleshooting

might be a loose bolt or somthing had the same problem on a 92 civic the bolt on the power steering bracket was loose and the washer was hitting the bracket making a clanking sound and the mounts if they are bad u should be able to shake the engine just by pushing on it
Old 02-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

motor mounts worn?
Old 02-24-2012, 10:18 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My bet would be motor mounts.

My vibrates on start up, and my tans mount is failing apart.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm thinking motor mounts too, but was wondering if it was related to the other vibration I hear at all. I was also puzzled by how there is no additional vibration while driving, just idle when I start a cold motor.

Messing around with it yesterday after work, the vibration I get after starting it cold is happening when the motor idles at 1k. After it warms up, the idle is below 1k and there is no vibration.

Yesterday it also rained, so I got the "initial throttle" vibration/noise. Whatever it is, it rattles like two times, lasting about 1 second, but it will do it anytime I start from a stop. This I feel like is something related to the new muffler. It only happens at the end of my 40 mile commute, and only when it is wet out. The noise is coming from under the passenger side somewhere. If I let the car cool for like a minute and then see if the sound comes back, it doesn't. It is almost like the "new" exhaust piece is cooling easier than the "old" exhaust with the rain (or the other way around), possible causing a loose connection?

That one didn't bother me nearly as much as the vibration at start up though.

Anyone suggest good replacement mounts? OEM isn't necessarily the best option right?

Last edited by Glenlivet12; 02-25-2012 at 07:40 AM.