Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Valve Noise- DRIVING ME CRAZY

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Noise- DRIVING ME CRAZY

My 99 civic dx with the D16Y7 is making a weird noise coming from the head. I've done research and I think the valves or valve lash needs to be adjusted, but I am not sure. It ONLY makes the noise at 2k rpm, so it usually makes the noise when I first start it up. Then after a minute or so my car idles down and the noise goes away. So the noise only occurs when idling at 2k and goes away when it idles down or when I'm actually driving. I will post a quick video/sound clip so you guys can hear it. Any help would be awesome, but keep in mind when posting that it does not at all sound like a loud tick, but instead something else that is hard to describe. (the clip will help with that)
Old 05-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Valve Noise- DRIVING ME CRAZY (SOHC_civic_si)

Search the forums, some other guy just had a problem like this and his problem was a bad rod bearing. Might be good to eliminate that if possible.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Valve Noise- DRIVING ME CRAZY (wonder squirrel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wonder squirrel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Search the forums, some other guy just had a problem like this and his problem was a bad rod bearing. Might be good to eliminate that if possible.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah the symptom is deff more like rod knAck

hope its not for your sake, that **** always sucks

Old 05-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Valve Noise- DRIVING ME CRAZY (MonkeyMagic)

Well this is news I didn't really wish to hear. I've searched the forums but I really can't find anything at all. Do you know how long ago this guy posted his problem? If I do have a bad rod bearing though, does this mean my engine is done? Can it be fixed?
Old 05-04-2008, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so I searched you tube and watched probably 50 videos of civics and other cars with 'rod knock' and it does not at all sound like my problem. not at all. this leads me to believe it has to be something with my valves. I'll post a video clip as soon as I can find my digital camera for more help
Old 05-04-2008, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if its the stock dx motor- its easier just to pick up a new motor, rather than pay someone to rebuild it and all the labor in bearing sizing and turning a crank.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_civic_si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok so I searched you tube and watched probably 50 videos of civics and other cars with 'rod knock' and it does not at all sound like my problem. not at all. this leads me to believe it has to be something with my valves. I'll post a video clip as soon as I can find my digital camera for more help</TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds like your in luck then. hook it up we'll be here
Old 05-04-2008, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Valve Noise- DRIVING ME CRAZY (MonkeyMagic)

Its not stock it has i/h/e and full MSD ignition. If you read my last comment you would see that I watched a bunch of videos on you tube of civics with valve knock and it doesn't sound anything like my noise. So therefore the labour for a mechanic to readjust my valves which is what I think will fix the problem then it will only cost me a couple hundred buck compared to a couple grand for a new motor.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:00 PM

buy a set of feeler gauges and read up on how to do it yourself....save some money and learn something ...itll only take like an hour or two even if you have never done it before
Old 05-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_civic_si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its not stock it has i/h/e and full MSD ignition. If you read my last comment you would see that I watched a bunch of videos on you tube of civics with valve knock and it doesn't sound anything like my noise. So therefore the labour for a mechanic to readjust my valves which is what I think will fix the problem then it will only cost me a couple hundred buck compared to a couple grand for a new motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude that is a Stock "motor" hell a motor with a turbo is still a stock motor what the other guy was reffering to was just your motor it dose not have cams (cam d-series junk) , forged rods pistons etc... I/H/E and your msd are all just bolt ons that can be done in a couple of hours. a couple of grand for a new d-series motor what the hell are you buying u can get them anywhere with low millage for 5 bills there cheap
Old 05-04-2008, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spray_bombed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spray_bombed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">buy a set of feeler gauges and read up on how to do it yourself....save some money and learn something ...itll only take like an hour or two even if you have never done it before</TD></TR></TABLE>

2nd that buy a hanes manual too and should get a new valve cover gasket
Old 05-04-2008, 03:07 PM

x2 and a new set of plug tube seals and grommets
Old 05-04-2008, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (98greensi)

valve noise usally you can hear most of the time and more so at idle when the car is hot, at 2k i guess your just more or less just costing not picking up speed or loosing, is that when you hear the noise??? if so that is usally a rod bearing or even maybe a cracked piston skirt
Old 05-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, read my first post please. It only makes the noise when its idles at 2k rpm for like 1 minute. and my car only idles at 2k rpm for a minute when its cold. otherwise then im driving, regardless if im crusing at 2k it wont make the noise. and as i said early it does not sound ANYTHING like a rod bearing problem, its not a ticking noise at all. whats a cracked piston skirt?
Old 05-04-2008, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SOHC_civic_si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_civic_si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its not stock it has i/h/e and full MSD ignition. If you read my last comment you would see that I watched a bunch of videos on you tube of civics with valve knock and it doesn't sound anything like my noise. So therefore the labour for a mechanic to readjust my valves which is what I think will fix the problem then it will only cost me a couple hundred buck compared to a couple grand for a new motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well then smarty pants... i suggest you fix it! and if you'll notice i said we'd be here waitin for you since you thought it wasn't knocking.

another honest attempt to help you: your motor is as stock as it gets. its probably piston slap which almost every y7/y8 i've ever seen has. and they are noisy. its basically because the piston-to-cyl clearances tighten up as the car warms up. a valve adjustment never hurts, so go for it, but i think it won't help
Old 05-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MonkeyMagic)

long shot but try some engine restore for your next oil change. It might reduce the tap..
Old 05-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Thateguhate)

that stuff is ****. i use lucas oil stabilizer with every oil change. that stuff actually works
Old 05-05-2008, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats probably why u have the noises that **** makes your oil thicker and when the car is cold oil is naturally thicker. this will cause issues when dealing with lubricating system and actually causes the motor to run a few more seconds longer with no fresh oil being pumped in. just what was left there from the last time that you shut the motor off. the best thing to do with oil is use a good quality 5-30 or 10-30 thats it, WHY is synthetic oil so good? because it's thin and stays pretty much the same consistency but you have to make sure it's compatible with your engine seals.`

People use lucas when they are about to sell a car to make the engine nice and quiet.

I hate ricer wanna be's like you that think they have a clue about cars because you can turn a wrench. and watch the fast and furious way to many times.

with your highly modded engine what are you actually pulling 100 hp get a clue dipshit a slow *** motor will always be slow motor no matter what you do. i guess your a proud guy because you can beat neons right???

Modified by 98greensi at 2:34 PM 5/5/2008
Old 05-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, you could not be more wrong about things 98greensi. I am going to be mature unlike you, and write a response without getting angry. First, and for most, I just so happen to work at an oil change shop, so I can get bet a pretty penny I know a lot more about oil than you do, and I can tell you that your lucas rant was complete BS. Once completely mixed within all the oil of a car, its thickness is virtually gone. Also if you had a brain you would have known that lucas makes a SYNTHETIC oil stabilizer, and not just their conventional heavy duty one. I am aware of how thick the heavy duty is but it works. Every guy i work with uses either a lucas synthetic or heavy duty with there oil because we are all well educated within its benefits. The synthetic is just an ADDITIVE that can be used to strengthen your current oil. The heavy duty stuff is more so for cars with problems like oil burning, knocking, and raising oil pressure, etc. etc. I know quite a lot of synthetic as well, considering i use AMSOIL. I am also so anti ricer its not even funny. I hate cars with huge body kits and wings, and huge mufflers, in fact i despise it. My car does not at all look like that and I by no means think my car is fast i know its slow as hell. And back to that comment earlier, which you seem to base your attack on, I didn't know if he meant my engine being stock as in bolts ons or internals spaz?
Old 05-05-2008, 06:08 PM

lucas oil stabilizer ....it actually causes foaming to due oxidation of the oil....just ask bob the oil guy
Old 05-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_civic_si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow, you could not be more wrong about things 98greensi. I am going to be mature unlike you, and write a response without getting angry. First, and for most, I just so happen to work at an oil change shop, so I can get bet a pretty penny I know a lot more about oil than you do, and I can tell you that your lucas rant was complete BS. Once completely mixed within all the oil of a car, its thickness is virtually gone. Also if you had a brain you would have known that lucas makes a SYNTHETIC oil stabilizer, and not just their conventional heavy duty one. I am aware of how thick the heavy duty is but it works. Every guy i work with uses either a lucas synthetic or heavy duty with there oil because we are all well educated within its benefits. The synthetic is just an ADDITIVE that can be used to strengthen your current oil. The heavy duty stuff is more so for cars with problems like oil burning, knocking, and raising oil pressure, etc. etc. I know quite a lot of synthetic as well, considering i use AMSOIL. I am also so anti ricer its not even funny. I hate cars with huge body kits and wings, and huge mufflers, in fact i despise it. My car does not at all look like that and I by no means think my car is fast i know its slow as hell. And back to that comment earlier, which you seem to base your attack on, I didn't know if he meant my engine being stock as in bolts ons or internals spaz?</TD></TR></TABLE>

why ask questions if you have an answer to everyones opinions/facts??

This thread is becoming a waste of everyones time, Nobody planned out a personal attack on you. It was brought on by your ignorance.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Thateguhate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Thateguhate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

why ask questions if you have an answer to everyones opinions/facts??

This thread is becoming a waste of everyones time, Nobody planned out a personal attack on you. It was brought on by your ignorance. </TD></TR></TABLE>

2nd that

and you think you know oils because u work in a lube shop hahahahaha dude i've been working in automotive mechanics for 10 years and have just finished 2 years of college for heavy duty equipment mechanic (HDEM) and your gonna tell me about oils dude you know what the company wants you to know so you can sell that **** to customers

Modified by 98greensi at 6:12 AM 5/6/2008