Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

USING P73 ITR ECU IN B18C ITR SWAP INTO OBD1 EG6 ????HELP????

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 01:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USING P73 ITR ECU IN B18C ITR SWAP INTO OBD1 EG6 ????HELP????

Hoping somebody can answer this that has actually done this swap.

I am about to swap a B18C ITR motor into my jdm eg6.

I currently have a B16A in the car and is OBD1.

Is it possible for me to just use the ITR engine loom and plug into shock towers and get a OBD1 to OBD2a conversion harness to run the OBD2 P73 ITR ecu in my civic without any engine check lights or problems.

I have Knock sensor, Oil pressure and vtec wires already in the loom.

What about IAB?

I Want to use the P73 ITR ecu not hondata or any other chipped ecu.

All help appreciated.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:22 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: USING P73 ITR ECU IN B18C ITR SWAP INTO OBD1 EG6 ????HELP???? (andybuk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by andybuk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hoping somebody can answer this that has actually done this swap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

"B18C5-EH2" isn't just a clever nickname:

(Pssst! It's a B18C5/Type R engine in a 1992 Civic!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is it possible for me to just use the ITR engine loom and plug into shock towers and get a OBD1 to OBD2a conversion harness to run the OBD2 P73 ITR ecu in my civic without any engine check lights or problems.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes. If the server I use for my internet pics was up right now I'd show you the pictures, but take my word for it.

The wiring harness plugs right in at the shock towers, and provided you have the secondary o2 wired up, the CKF sensor wired up, the knock sensor wired up, and the evap system is all good you should not throw any check engine lights. I'm basing this on if you have a USDM P73. A JDM P73 is only OBD2A in plug, and is NOT even an OBD2 program inside at all. It doesn't even look for secondary o2, evap crap, CKF, etc.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have Knock sensor, Oil pressure and vtec wires already in the loom.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The car loom itself too? If not you may need to add those wires from the chassis harness shock tower plugs into the ECU pin locations.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What about IAB?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Only on GS-R swap, not ITR.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I Want to use the P73 ITR ecu not hondata or any other chipped ecu.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Okay so here's where you lose me though. I have personally ran a JDM ITR P73 on my B18C5 swap, and it was not as good as the rechipped P28 ECU I got from Kenji Plennert at kenji211@tampabay.rr.com nor as good as my current Uberdata tuned P28.

You're especially hurting yourself if you're trying to run the USDM P73 because OBD2 sucks ********. It throws more check engine codes, is not tuner friendly, and requires a jumper harness in the first place. Do yourself a favor and ditch the jumper harness/P73 idea and you'll thank me in the end when you're making more power and not throwing any check engine lights for random misfires, system too rich/lean, secondary o2 sensor, evap system bullshit, catalyst efficiency low, etc. etc. If you had an EK then these would be issues you'd HAVE to deal with if you live in an emissions state, but why bother in an EG when a chipped P28 will run it better anyways?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All help appreciated.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

n/p
Old 11-29-2006, 04:29 AM

Default Re: USING P73 ITR ECU IN B18C ITR SWAP INTO OBD1 EG6 ????HELP???? (B18C5-EH2)

I was going to use a jdm p73 ecu. All the parts I have are JDM.

Please explain kenji's chipped p28. Does this have exact itr basemap?

Yes I have knock sensor, vtec wires etc in my car loom as the car is a jdm eg6 which came with a b16a from factory

I suppose this p28 can be plugged straight in to the ecu harness from shock tower.

Do I use the itr harness and plug it into shock tower etc ?

Do I need to change anything like dizzy or injectors etc?

Thanks for your help its much appreciated

Modified by andybuk at 5:44 AM 11/29/2006

Modified by andybuk at 5:46 AM 11/29/2006

Modified by andybuk at 5:47 AM 11/29/2006
Old 11-29-2006, 08:48 AM

Default Re: USING P73 ITR ECU IN B18C ITR SWAP INTO OBD1 EG6 ????HELP???? (andybuk)

BUMP
Old 11-29-2006, 08:56 AM

hi ive also done this swap thanks to B18c5-EH2 and i took his advice when he advised me to buy one of kenjis ecu's which arrived today and is running the ITR lump in my EG fine with no CEL's he can provide you with the basemap if you want or if you have any modifications done to it he will allow for these and adjust the map to match

yes you do use the itr harness and it dowes plug str8 into shock tower

no do not change anything like dizzy ect as your using the itr harness your dizzy wont fit

email kenji for an ecu of check out his thread hes got 100's of happy customers from here
Old 11-29-2006, 10:49 AM

Default Re: USING P73 ITR ECU IN B18C ITR SWAP INTO OBD1 EG6 ????HELP???? (b16a2civicesi)

Have you got kenji's email address.

How much did you pay for your P28 chipped with basemap?

Thanks
Old 11-30-2006, 02:08 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by andybuk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have you got kenji's email address.

How much did you pay for your P28 chipped with basemap?

Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

I posted Kenji's e-mail adress in the first reply I posted:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Me &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">kenji211@tampabay.rr.com </TD></TR></TABLE>

Also ask Kenji specifically how to solve the JDM ITR engine's lack of a VTEC oil pressure switch - the P28 looks for one, and I believe Kenji has an easy wiring trick to fix it without needing to swap on a US-spec VTEC oil pressure switch.