Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

URGENT: Clutch pedal has no pressure and won't return when pressed

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 URGENT: Clutch pedal has no pressure and won't return when pressed

So I have a 97 ek w/ a b16a in it. It was fine before and the clutch would engage and it drove normally. It sat for maybe a week or so and now the pedal won't return when pressed and it has no pressure. I can't engage any gears either. I was thinking maybe I'd have to bleed it... not so sure. Haven't really done clutch work. So if that's what needs to be done could someone explain to me how (pictures wold be nice) but if not what are your suggestions to my problem? I was also thinking that maybe the slave cylinder would have to be replaced but again I'm not sure how to do it or if it's a pretty simple job to do. Thanks for your help guys. P.S. I'd like to figure this out soon as i can because if not fixed by the end of this week I can't go home
Old 12-06-2010, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: URGENT: Clutch pedal has no pressure and won't return when pressed

well first check ur fluid level? its prob low or gone..then check the lines and fitting on the slave it may b loose? so check that first. to bleed fill to normal level put a small hose around nipple and crack open the fitting and pump clutch and keep filling fluid and pumping until no air comes out. tighten fitting and should b fine.. or slave is bad its easy to change! search it but do some troubleshooting first..
Old 12-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as stated above, check the fluid, if its low check the lines to the slave to make sure there not leaking, changeing the slave is easy theres 2 bolts holding it on plus you got the 1 line running into it , however alot of the times they will rust at the lines and bleader. if they are then there is a good chance somthing is going to twist off, you can buy the line with the bends at any honda dealer or if you know someone they could flare and bend it themselfs, if all is good fill the fluid, crack the bleader and if nothing comes out right away, walk away for 15mins comeback if its driping from the bleader close it, and check the clutch...if that works make sure you check your fluid before you start driving it again .. `
Old 12-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ps, if the drip method doesn't work try what highliner said, with the pumping of the pedal ..
Old 12-07-2010, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would bet on a bad slave cylinder. It is located on the front of your tranny near the radiator. Check the rubber boot there and see if there is fluid leak. I had mine go bad all of the sudden and had to swap it in a parking lot. It's not too difficult, if that's what it is. Also check fluid level as others have stated. But if you have a bad slave or a torn boot, it will all just leak out all over the ground. Don't ask me how I know this.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Replace both the master and slave cylinders. If one has failed, chances are the other is not far behind. Reports on the net support this approach. Napa has a good deal on the master and slave cylinders, with a warranty. Napa's clutch mc and sc worked fine on my 93 Civic. I still have not found a good trick for bleeding to get a really firm clutch pedal.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by honda.lioness
Replace both the master and slave cylinders. If one has failed, chances are the other is not far behind. Reports on the net support this approach. Napa has a good deal on the master and slave cylinders, with a warranty. Napa's clutch mc and sc worked fine on my 93 Civic. I still have not found a good trick for bleeding to get a really firm clutch pedal.
Use the same methods are bleeding brake lines to get a firm pedal. Let it drip (gravity bleed) then do a "pump bleed" where you open the valve, press the clutch in a hold it down. Don't let off the pedal until the valve has been closed again. Repeat until firmness is reached.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for you help guys. I checked and all my fluid is one so I'm going to bleed it tomorrow or Thursday if i can get some time, (finals week), sort of a noobish question but.... what exactly should I tell the the auto parts store what car i have to get the right cylinders for my car? I'm not sure if my B16A is the first gen or second gen and I don't want to buy the wrong ones and have the hassle of taking them back so yeah.... really just wanting to know if there is like a part number or something like that i could tell them so they could easily find the parts i need. thanks again
Old 12-07-2010, 04:39 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Stock civic versions are the same as a B-series anyway, just order them for a '97 Civic.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:43 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by honda.lioness
Old 06-28-2013, 11:46 AM
Trial User

i changed both the mc and sc and i bleed it with a vacume pump from auto zone as i was pumping the clutch pedal i heard a nois. it was the sc it blow a
Old 06-28-2013, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

take of the little bolt on the slave cylinder and drain out the whole line ( make sure you have enought fluid in the cut , so it wont catch air) keep pumping it and then put the little bolt back on and pump it 10 times then let air out and your done, if that dont work then you have problem with your line! or who knows maybe master..