Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

un even suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default un even suspension

Hey I looked to see if anyone else had this problem but i didnt see anything. for some reason my car sits lop sided. I had tokico blues struts with kazerra springs on my car, everything fit perfect and even eventually the drivers side rear started to sit lower. I switched my shocks and springs with a brand new tokico advanced handling kit which was new tokico illumina shocks and new tokico springs. Everything seemed to look even when i lowered it down from the hoist. I drove it for a bit and it started doing the same thing. I can fit 1 finger between the tire and fender on the drivers side rear , and 2 fingers between the passenger side rear. any body have a clue as to what might be wrong.

Thanks
Justin
Old 08-11-2008, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My car does it too. I don't think the weight distribution is 50/50 in that regard because of how the engine sits.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: un even suspension (Unit44justin)

if your concerned about appearance get coil overs, they usually don't sag. Some times springs take a while to "settle". When we lowered my friends DSM it actually was taller then stock right after we finished up. Eventually it settled and the car was definitely lower but not exactly the same height on each side. Usually the drivers front starts to sag first, due to the driver plus being in front with your engine. Sorry I don't see a reason for the rear to sag other than maybe you have too much crap in your trunk all to one side or something. or maybe you got crappy springs
Old 08-11-2008, 08:48 PM

Default Re: (supersteven)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by supersteven &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't think the weight distribution is 50/50 in that regard because of how the engine sits.</TD></TR></TABLE>

we could dream lol perhaps if they were, people wouldnt be doing things like putting the battery in the trunk... of a civic.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:58 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: un even suspension (dividedas1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dividedas1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if your concerned about appearance get coil overs, they usually don't sag. Some times springs take a while to "settle". When we lowered my friends DSM it actually was taller then stock right after we finished up. Eventually it settled and the car was definitely lower but not exactly the same height on each side. Usually the drivers front starts to sag first, due to the driver plus being in front with your engine. Sorry I don't see a reason for the rear to sag other than maybe you have too much crap in your trunk all to one side or something. or maybe you got crappy springs </TD></TR></TABLE>

Coilovers do sag because they consist of springs. Pretty much any spring will have a break in period where it will sag. It's normal for springs to keep sagging after that. Cheapo springs will sag very quickly. Nice springs will sag very slowly.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dividedas1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

we could dream lol perhaps if they were, people wouldnt be doing things like putting the battery in the trunk... of a civic. </TD></TR></TABLE>

He means side to side. And he has a point.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Unit44justin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey I looked to see if anyone else had this problem but i didnt see anything. for some reason my car sits lop sided. I had tokico blues struts with kazerra springs on my car, everything fit perfect and even eventually the drivers side rear started to sit lower. I switched my shocks and springs with a brand new tokico advanced handling kit which was new tokico illumina shocks and new tokico springs. Everything seemed to look even when i lowered it down from the hoist. I drove it for a bit and it started doing the same thing. I can fit 1 finger between the tire and fender on the drivers side rear , and 2 fingers between the passenger side rear. any body have a clue as to what might be wrong.

Thanks
Justin</TD></TR></TABLE>

The car may just weigh more on the driver's side. 1 finger is about .5'' or so unless you have freaking sausage fingers. So that's not HUGE but it's not negligible either. The springs will settle anyway. Let them settle for about 1k miles or so.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:07 AM

they have been in my car since the beginning of the summer so they have plenty of miles on them. It is just wierd to me that the rear drivers side is the one that sits low i could totally under stand if it were the drivers side front. I cant think of any thing else that would make the car sit like that besides a strut, spring or something is bent, but as far as i can tell nothing is bent
Old 08-12-2008, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe one or more of your bushings is not clocked properly.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:14 AM

Default Re: un even suspension (alphalanos)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alphalanos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Maybe one or more of your bushings is not clocked properly.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah...but I dont know if OEM civic bushings are stiff enough to cause lift...especially over a whole summer. I could see maybe a couple of days for freshy fresh bushings, but chances are, his bushings are 8-16 years old.

Clocking bushings is always a must, however. So good suggestion.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Unit44justin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they have been in my car since the beginning of the summer so they have plenty of miles on them. It is just wierd to me that the rear drivers side is the one that sits low i could totally under stand if it were the drivers side front. I cant think of any thing else that would make the car sit like that besides a strut, spring or something is bent, but as far as i can tell nothing is bent </TD></TR></TABLE>

Struts DO NOT affect ride height.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't rule out the thought that something might be bent.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:56 PM

Default Re: un even suspension (B serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Coilovers do sag because they consist of springs. Pretty much any spring will have a break in period where it will sag. It's normal for springs to keep sagging after that. Cheapo springs will sag very quickly. Nice springs will sag very slowly. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for clearing that up on the coilovers it would be a pretty crazy coilover set if they didn't include the springs...

you fail to mention they are adjustable so when your springs sag you adjust the car to be even again

pain in the ***... maybe? but then again the guy is complaining about his car being uneven and im guessing its not even because of the way the car drives its most likely because he doesn't like the way it looks.

and...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">He means side to side. And he has a point.</TD></TR></TABLE>

okay and think of the engine bay... passenger side you have a gear box. drivers side you would have ps/ac/steering rack... etc.

so my guess would be passenger side is a little heavier with no driver. with a driver its a toss up because you don't know if hes a big boy like my friend hes 6'5" 350lbs and drives an eg and his drivers side springs hate him lol

basically unless he's big there really shouldn't be a reason why just driver sides springs sag. its probally cheapo springs. and like i said if your concerned with how your springs sit get NICE coilovers, no ebay junk. because eventually your springs will sag and it will aggravate you again.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:01 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Unit44justin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">kazerra springs</TD></TR></TABLE>

maybe your problem is you bought springs from tire rack? i'd say get better springs. go on the suspension/apperance forums and ask what people like and are using. stick with reputable companys that people use.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:01 AM

You're all over the place.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dividedas1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
you fail to mention they are adjustable so when your springs sag you adjust the car to be even again
</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dividedas1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> get coil overs, they usually don't sag. </TD></TR></TABLE>

okay and think of the engine bay... passenger side you have a gear box. drivers side you would have ps/ac/steering rack... etc.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you forget something? Like an engine?

so my guess would be passenger side is a little heavier with no driver.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why?

Were you drunk??
Old 08-13-2008, 01:40 PM

Default Re: un even suspension (B serious)

B serious-

You are 100% right, i originally said coil-overs don't sag. How-ever what was going through my mind is the fact that coil-overs are adjustable. So when your car starts looking uneven you can make adjustments. This would be nice for someone who is more concerned with how the car sits (even on all 4 corners). And since that is what the OP is complaining about, i figured i would throw that out there.

As far as...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you forget something? Like an engine?
Why?
Were you drunk??</TD></TR></TABLE>

i guess your right. what i was thinking was that because of the trans and part of the engine sitting on the passenger side it would be a little heavier (i wasn't trying to say by alot) but after thinking about it and looking at my engine bay i guess it really would be about the same side to side. maybe if anything a hair heavier on the drivers side (no driver)

drunk... nah.
stoned... maybe

I really think dudes got crappy springs that just sagged alot. I've seen it happen to my friends cars, even to me once. Get quality springs or quality coil-overs (if you want to be able to adjust when you start sagging again)
Old 08-13-2008, 03:49 PM

i already did as stated in my first post i replaced all four struts and springs with the tokico advanced handeling setup that consisted of 4 tokico illuminas and four tokicko brand springs. The Kazerras actually wern't bad springs they rode nice and gave it a nice drop.

Its not just that it looks a little goofy its mainly because when I have my rotas on the tires rub on the edge of the fender when i turn

I just put my car up on the hoist here at my work and i noticed that the bushing on my LCA that the strut bolts to is shot a long with all the other bushings on that LCA so maybe that might be the issue Im going to replace both LCAs any ways just because the bushings are garbage. if that doesnt work i guess ill be getting some s-techs.

Modified by Unit44justin at 5:18 PM 8/13/2008
Old 08-13-2008, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 92 LX is stock suspension and sags a little on the driver side as well. It was always like this for some reason. I replaced stock springs with new OEM stock springs and still the same. I just left it alone. Blah.. Been fine for 6 years.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:02 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dividedas1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">B serious-

Get quality springs or quality coil-overs (if you want to be able to adjust when you start sagging again)</TD></TR></TABLE>

I definately agree with the buying quality statement. I am a huge believer in quality of parts over quantity of parts. However...I think that the Kazerra springs that he bought may not have been totally crappy. Also, the tokico kit that he now has is def. not considered crappy. Not quite high end, but a nice kit none-the-less.

There may be some chassis issues with the car itself. If two sets of springs are sitting the same way, you have to figure it's probably something else.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:32 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Unit44justin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just put my car up on the hoist here at my work and i noticed that the bushing on my LCA that the strut bolts to is shot a long with all the other bushings on that LCA so maybe that might be the issue Im going to replace both LCAs any ways just because the bushings are garbage. if that doesnt work i guess ill be getting some s-techs.Modified by Unit44justin at 5:18 PM 8/13/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have had just about every suspension related problem happen to atleast one of my cars

when my bushings went the car felt real floaty, as in when you hit a bump the car felt a little loose. it also destroyed a set of brand new tires. my car wasn't sagging at all it was just real scary over bumps and on some turns

definatly get the bushings replaced but i would also be looking else where, unless the bushing was like M.I.A. it shouldn't make the car too much lower. the bushings aren't that big.

since your lucky *** has access to a lift, give it a good look over. see if anythings bent. or just broken parts. did all the springs sit fine before you lowered it? or did you buy it lowered and a little off like that?

i would say if you find nothing broken asides from the bushings maybe take it to a body shop and have them check the body of the car. make sure its straight.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:03 AM

.<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dividedas1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i have had just about every suspension related problem happen to atleast one of my cars

when my bushings went the car felt real floaty, as in when you hit a bump the car felt a little loose. it also destroyed a set of brand new tires. my car wasn't sagging at all it was just real scary over bumps and on some turns

definatly get the bushings replaced but i would also be looking else where, unless the bushing was like M.I.A. it shouldn't make the car too much lower. the bushings aren't that big.

since your lucky *** has access to a lift, give it a good look over. see if anythings bent. or just broken parts. did all the springs sit fine before you lowered it? or did you buy it lowered and a little off like that?

i would say if you find nothing broken asides from the bushings maybe take it to a body shop and have them check the body of the car. make sure its straight.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I bought the car completely stock. Ive had my manager here who used to be the manager at a body shop check it over to see if he noticed any thing unusual but he the only thing he saw was that the front drivers side strut wasnt sitting properly so i fixed that.

I am going to get the Function 7 lcas since they come with the energy suspension bushings.