Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Type R cams in B16 head

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Type R cams in B16 head

OK so i have a question that will probably come down to ALOT of opinons and such, but its a question i have researched and not found a solid answer on yet.

I have a B16 head and i am picking up a set of ITR cams and S2 gears for a steal. I know the ITR's all came w/ dual valve springs but my understanding was the reason for those was the RPM the ITR turned, not because the cams were that big.

My question is I will not be turning above the stock redline of a GSR (8200) so should i upgrade the valve train with the cams? this car is not my DD, more of a weekend cruiser. I am going to be building the head when i get my turbo setup completed so this build is just temporary to get the car on the raod and mobile.

thanks for the input.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Type R cams in B16 head

The reason for the duel springs not only because of the rpm but the lift and duration was just big enough to require the need of a stiffer spring then the b16 was able to give. If ur going to be turning it 8200 then I would get the springs if it was me, that and the b16 valves r alil bit heavyer than the ITR's were from what I understand.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civic_r87111
The reason for the duel springs not only because of the rpm but the lift and duration was just big enough to require the need of a stiffer spring then the b16 was able to give. If ur going to be turning it 8200 then I would get the springs if it was me, that and the b16 valves r alil bit heavyer than the ITR's were from what I understand.
sorry boss but no. dual valve springs for type r were because of the high rpms. if you look with any cam company there stage 1 cams(which are slightly bigger than itr cams) do not require upgraded valve springs, recommended but not required. i know this because i have a gsr swap with sk2 tuner stg 1 cams. i've had no problems at all with my valve springs for over 2yrs
Old 12-20-2009, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah running a ctr, itr, or stage 1 aftermarket cam typically doesn't require any valvetrain upgrades unless you wanna rap it out to like 9k which you already said you don't plan on it...
Old 12-20-2009, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94civiccupew/b7
sorry boss but no. dual valve springs for type r were because of the high rpms. if you look with any cam company there stage 1 cams(which are slightly bigger than itr cams) do not require upgraded valve springs, recommended but not required. i know this because i have a gsr swap with sk2 tuner stg 1 cams. i've had no problems at all with my valve springs for over 2yrs
So ur telling me that the weight of the valvetrain has nothing to do with it?? The GSR came with dual valve springs on the exhaust side and the valve springs in it r alil stiffer then the B16 i'm sure. What do u rev ur gsr to? Y in the world do u think they recommend an upgraded valvetrain for the s2s1 tuner cams?? Ur not going to have problems with the valve springs ever because that isn't what is going to give. Any rpm over 7k is going to have potental float, so unless ur going to set ur redline at 7k then just get the valvetrain, it's always good to have for the future anyway.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

they recommend upgrading if you plan to raise your rev-limiter higher than stock. do your research. mine is set at 8500, no i'm not bouncin it off the limiter everyday. of course it's good to upgrade but that's not what this is about. the OP ask if he could put them in and be ok. egsleeper, you'll be fine unless you raise your limiter, then yes you should upgrade your springs
Old 12-20-2009, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL.... I like ur reasoning but don't agree but anyway 93eg, if ur doing this for a short time and going to upgrade the valvetrain in the future anyway y not just get it now? If u don't race the car or c 7k+ much then u could get away with the stock valvetrain for awhile i'm sure. It doesn't have to b extream rpm to float the valves, yes it happens worse the higher the rev but it all starts at above 7k. So u determine the purpose of what u r going to do with the engine until u do ur turbo setup.
94civic- In my opinion u have gotten lucky so far and haven't had an issue yet and if u race a lot idk how u have gotten away with it for 2 years but u did say u did it with the GSR valvetrain soo..
Old 12-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

we got type-r dual springs for sale get at me!
Old 12-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL.... I like ur reasoning but don't agree but anyway 93eg, if ur doing this for a short time and going to upgrade the valvetrain in the future anyway y not just get it now? If u don't race the car or c 7k+ much then u could get away with the stock valvetrain for awhile i'm sure. It doesn't have to b extream rpm to float the valves, yes it happens worse the higher the rev but it all starts at above 7k. So u determine the purpose of what u r going to do with the engine until u do ur turbo setup.
94civic- In my opinion u have gotten lucky so far and haven't had an issue yet and if u race a lot idk how u have gotten away with it for 2 years but u did say u did it with the GSR valvetrain soo..
im not going to upgrade this head right now because im in the middle of building a sleeved GSR for boost so im saving the cash for that. When i get around to it i may buy a second head to send out for PnP and a portmatch then built it w/ valves, springs and retainers and probably running the Blox comp b's. it would almost be throwing money down the drain for me.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, like I said it's ur thing but buying a head just to build and have pnp'd when u already have 1 could b throwing $$ away too. Just my opinion and it ur $ and ur engine so gl and best of fun.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, like I said it's ur thing but buying a head just to build and have pnp'd when u already have 1 could b throwing $$ away too. Just my opinion and it ur $ and ur engine so gl and best of fun.
Its not really throwing money away when i can sell a freshly rebuild b16 head w/ ITR cams and a valve grind... it will be easy to sell. just allows me to still drive my car as i build.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, well that will work too then, didn't think u had intentions of selling the old head.