Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signals

Hi. I have a 93 del Sol S and neither the turn signals nor hazards work. I replaced the flasher relay, but to no avail. I dug up my del Sol tech bible and looked up turn signal diagnostics. It had me check a few fuses (fine) and then had me diagnose the six pin connector. Shorting 1 to 2 did not illuminate the right lights, nor did shorting 1 to 4 illuminate the left. Also I noticed that if you meter #5, it is open until you hit either the hazard button or turn on the right turn signal. That's the way it's supposed to work. However, metering #3 shows it hot all the time no matter what you are doing. The tech book says what to do if it doesn't go hot, but not what to do if it's always hot. Any ideas?
Old 02-22-2019, 06:32 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 221 Likes on 198 Posts
Default Re: Turn signals

Does the light come on when you turn on the parking lights, via the light stalk? If they do but no hazard or turn signals...REPLACE THE BULBS. They are dual filament, 1157.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

try a different hazard button also
Old 02-23-2019, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Always always check the bulbs first. Make sure you're using a Del Sol manual as I think this particular system has differences from the regular Civic.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NVturbo
Does the light come on when you turn on the parking lights, via the light stalk? If they do but no hazard or turn signals...REPLACE THE BULBS. They are dual filament, 1157.
No, no lights on the dash and no clicking. EDIT: Oh wait, you said parking lights. Good call, I dunno, I'll go check. Yep, parking lights illuminate. As the rear orange ones aren't part of the parking light system, I pulled their bulbs and ran a wire from the battery to test them and they illuminated fine.

Originally Posted by triple beam
try a different hazard button also
I'll check for one next time I go to the local boneyard.

Originally Posted by mk378
Always always check the bulbs first. Make sure you're using a Del Sol manual as I think this particular system has differences from the regular Civic.
True, I did not check the actual bulbs but the lack of dash indicator and lack of relay clicking would tell me this is not a blown bulb. Also I could understand one possibly being out, maybe two but all four? Unlikely. Yep, it's a big book specific to the 1994 model year del Sol. It's funny, I got it when I bought a del Sol many years ago. Sold that car but forgot to give the book to the new owner. Found it months later, shrugged it off and put it in my storage unit. Never touched the book during my first del Sol's ownership as it was reliable. Now, years later, my keeping the book around is coming in handy
Old 02-24-2019, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do you have power on pin 1 on the turn signal relay and do you have a good ground on pin 6 on the turn signal relay?
Old 02-24-2019, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea, pin 1 is hot and pin 6 is grounding. At least, I assume that's the case. For the pin six test, I set my multimeter to continuity test put one lead on pin 6 and the other lead I stuck in the dead pedal bolt hole, looking for unpainted metal and it indicated continuity so I assumed that meant pin six was properly grounding.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Strahan
Yea, pin 1 is hot and pin 6 is grounding. At least, I assume that's the case. For the pin six test, I set my multimeter to continuity test put one lead on pin 6 and the other lead I stuck in the dead pedal bolt hole, looking for unpainted metal and it indicated continuity so I assumed that meant pin six was properly grounding.

That's not a good way to test. Yes it tells you it has a connection to ground, but that does not mean is a good enough connection to actually work. set your volt meter to VDC or the v with the straight line next to it if it doesn't show VDC. and put the red lead on pin one and the black lead on pin 6. you should read 12v. Let me know what you find.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ahh, OK. I just went and checked it. Put the red lead in pin 1, black in pin 6 and it was just millivolts. Moved the black lead to a ground elsewhere, read ~11 V. I checked the tech book, it said if no ground check under hood fuse 43. The little bar visible in the window looked fine, and putting the meter on continuity mode and touching the left/right side pieces indicated continuity so I assume that fuse is OK. Book said if that's fine, likely an open in the wire somewhere.

If I were to stick one end of a bared wire into the back of the plug so it touches the #6 connection then ground the other side of the wire, would that be a safe test to see if the bad ground is the problem or will that blow something up?
Old 02-25-2019, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its not the best way but you can do that to test. just make sure you are touching the wire in the pigtail. Sometimes it hard to get a good connection by just pushing a wire up in the pigtail. once you are sure you have it in there good then just make sure you have it on a good ground and then try the lights again. Hopefully the bad ground is the problem.