Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Trying to eliminate unwanted sounds.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to eliminate unwanted sounds.

I have a 1996 Civic EX 5 speed and I have a few sounds from my car that I am trying to elmininate. I went to good year and got 3 belts replaced as they were squeaking like no other when I bought it sunday. The new belts make a whirring noise with higher rpms and acceleration. The guy at good year said that the goodyear brand belts are fairly tight when you put them on, but they should loosen up a bit over time, thus decreasing the ricey whrring.

Another noise is in the exaust system. He put it up on a lift like an hour ago and started taping areas in the exaust and found that the resonator (after the cat.) had something rattling in there. It is quite annoying and sounds like crap, especially with a cold start up. There is also annoying rattle with every upshift. The piece that would need to be replaced would be the resonator part, which is a long, single piece that he thinks would run "a couple hundred".

Another more minor sound issue is probably the injectors. There is a tapping noise around the injectors it seems. I asked him about it, he listened to it and he thinks there is not much that can be done about it.

My main problem is the resonator, he says that it is a common problem in civics of 128k mileage (high mileage). Can anyone help me with this?
Old 11-05-2004, 11:20 AM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

just buy a nother reasonator for 50 or so at a local muffler shop and have them weld it on there. cheap
Old 11-05-2004, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Vtecin94dx)

Or just have it removed, and weld a pipe in it's place. Then you won't hear anything.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:33 AM

Default Re: (wilsel)

I think I'll set my buget at 100 bucks for this. I don't know of any local muffler shops. I like the pipe idea, but I don't know about how it will bolt on. There were holes that bolted on to the pipe. basically, the piece I am talking about is a long pipe on both ends of the resonator, it is about 5 feet long total, give or take, with a few bends. it connects with the muffler and the cat, and the cat is right below where you sit.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:25 PM

Default Re: (mnbv)

would that actually fix the problem? I would have to have the pipe bent though, would that work still?
Old 11-05-2004, 01:37 PM

He's talking about just cutting the stock resonator off and welding a straight piece of pipe in it's replace, so you shouldn't have to bend anything. The only thing with welding a straight pipe in place of the resonator is that your exhaust will be louder.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:51 PM

Default Re: (_Project EJOne)

ohhhh, that makes a ton more sence now. What would be a chain place I could go to.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:02 PM

My brother is telling me that no one would do it because it is illegal, is this true?
Old 11-05-2004, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its not illegal, go to midas if your worried
Old 11-06-2004, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Trying to eliminate unwanted sounds. (mnbv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mnbv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">..........

Another noise is in the exaust system. He put it up on a lift like an hour ago and started taping areas in the exaust and found that the resonator (after the cat.) had something rattling in there. It is quite annoying and sounds like crap, especially with a cold start up. There is also annoying rattle with every upshift. The piece that would need to be replaced would be the resonator part, which is a long, single piece that he thinks would run "a couple hundred".
...</TD></TR></TABLE>

If something is rattling around inside the resonater just after the cat, it could be a chunk of catalyst material, which would indicate replacing the cat, which is only legal if your cat is actually broken. I guess its a Cali law, but maybe a federal EPA rule that applies to Low Emissions category vehicles I AM NOT A LAWYER.
The heat shields covering the cat and back also rattle a lot on old civics.
A couple hundered installed sounds about right though.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:40 AM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mnbv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My brother is telling me that no one would do it because it is illegal, is this true?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Removing an existing cat and not replacing it with a new one is illegal. However nothing illegal about removing a resonator. The resonator has nothing to do with the type of gases coming out of your tail pipe. It helps quiet down the exhaust note a bit. So if you're looking at quieting down your car you might want to consider having a new resonator put in place instead of the straight pipe.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:55 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mnbv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Another more minor sound issue is probably the injectors. There is a tapping noise around the injectors it seems. I asked him about it, he listened to it and he thinks there is not much that can be done about it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats the sound of your injectors injecting gas to ur motor. if you dont like it, turn your car off.
Old 11-06-2004, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Trying to eliminate unwanted sounds. (Jeterkm02)

I think it is the resonator, I'll just get a straight pipe, just becuase it is cheaper
Old 11-06-2004, 05:12 PM

If your budget is around 100 bucks, then you can still get a resonator... a Magnaflow resonator is about 70 shipped, and it's supposed to run about 30-35 to cut out the old one and weld in the resonator... any more money to install it is a complete rip off. That's how much I paid, and I live in SoCal where things seem to be more expensive.

Not to mention, if you just weld a pipe in the place of the resonator, your car might sound raspy and whiny... a resonator will allow your car to have deeper and better sounding tones.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Trying to eliminate unwanted sounds. (selasornayr)

any links to that website? I could just as well use a honda (used) resonator for cheap, but that wouldent really solve anything.