Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

try to start but indicator lights say its in park and d4 at the same time.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default try to start but indicator lights say its in park and d4 at the same time.

hi guys. I cant find anything on the search for this. my buddys 2000 Honda civic auto trans stopped driving out of no where. I went over to check it out. check all fuses wiring etc when you turn key to setting two right before you start it the parking light and d4 light are both on. I tried putting it in neutral and giving it a push and throwing it into park to see if anything may have been stuck but still no luck. any one have any input on this. park and d4 light both on. all you hear is a click when trying to start. I appreciate it. thank you
Old 04-19-2015, 06:50 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Re: try to start but indicator lights say its in park and d4 at the same time.

The D4 light being on at all times on the 6th gen means you have a transmission problem and a transmission code that can be pulled for diagnosis.

Please see this thread on how to do so with just a paperclip:

https://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-d...lists-1901557/
Old 04-19-2015, 06:57 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: try to start but indicator lights say its in park and d4 at the same time.

You tried forcing a moving car into park?

That whole "percussive maintenance is always the answer" thing is a joke, you know that, right?
Old 04-19-2015, 08:45 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Tranny problem, or auto shifter problem. Pull codes and go from there.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:10 PM
Fish Twig

So..........are you going to pull those codes or what?

Last edited by TomCat39; 04-20-2015 at 01:26 PM. Reason: thread cleanup
Old 04-20-2015, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
So..........are you going to pull those codes or what?
Yes going to pull the codes later today after work. if I get anything I'll search some more and post what codes I got if possibly any at all.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:49 PM
Fish Twig

Personally I start with that and then troubleshoot the no-start issue, if the issue is with the shifter than you have a shift lock solenoid problem.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Personally I start with that and then troubleshoot the no-start issue, if the issue is with the shifter than you have a shift lock solenoid problem.
thank you. I really appreciate the advice. will get back to the post once codes are pulled and see what I got. hopefully nothing major!
Old 04-20-2015, 04:49 PM
Fish Twig

In NAR's defense we're trying to be a technical forum but the majority here like to just swap parts and be done with. Doing things this way, to us, is a complete waste of money and time. Diagnosing is the key here and so does research. Coming on here and telling us you have cel codes blah blah blah doesn't help much. Researching the code and then google searching fixes, specifically in the honda-tech forum, helps as well.

Now you might not find the answer in old posts because the OP's don't usually reply back that the issue has been re-mediated so its a given here. Just don't reply in it.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:29 PM
Hysterically Calm

In NAR's defense
I just wouldn't.

The issue is the attitude that his knowledge/statements/methods trump all else. Even if he is correct, the presentation is quite often incorrect.

He may have experience and knowledge but even he makes mistakes or even has done things by short cuts claiming it's the only way, such as cardboard card cinched in cam shaft cap to tighten the cam bolt instead of using a cam gear holder tool.

Both work, but one is "technically" correct, one is more in line with the underground mechanics trick or old timers trick.

OP posted doing such a trick themselves which may or may not be correct. It's at the OP's risk if anything is broken in the process. Same is true with sidestepping proper tools to tighten a cam gear bolt to spec. We are free to disagree and even state the disagreement, however getting into a pissing match about it is just wrong. For one thing, the trick might be pertinent to some equipment and not others. Getting into a pissing match never clarifies that, instead just muddies the waters and no one learns or benefits.

So I will just say.... This doesn't excuse anyone in the thread, OP, old timer, moderator or any other human being on the planet to get into a slander **** flinging contest.

Lets just stick to the tech, play nice, and if you disagree, state as such without any ******* insults or **** flinging.

Thank you.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:25 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you really comparing a common, completely safe method used by many people, including professional engine builders, with actively trying to force an automatic transmission to do something that, first, it isn't meant to do, and second, it's problems are precluding it from doing? Beyond that, you're also tacitly encouraging someone to do things the hard way, vis a vie "posting for a friend whose car I don't even have access to"?

How about you stick to moderating tech that you barely knew anything about when you started in the first place, and don't try to branch out into psychology.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:12 AM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
Are you really comparing a common, completely safe method used by many people, including professional engine builders, with actively trying to force an automatic transmission to do something that, first, it isn't meant to do, and second, it's problems are precluding it from doing? Beyond that, you're also tacitly encouraging someone to do things the hard way, vis a vie "posting for a friend whose car I don't even have access to"?

How about you stick to moderating tech that you barely knew anything about when you started in the first place, and don't try to branch out into psychology.
Please see your PM.